New Necrons

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Valhalla

Valhalla

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

So the new necron codex has been released, along with some pretty sweet looking new models and it got me wondering. So far, the game I'm in has used primarily chaos, xenos, and tau (which makes sense) but I wanted to know if there are any rules for necrons out there? Homebrew/official doesn't really matter to my group. Thanks

#2 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

!SPOILERS!

"The Emperor Protects". It's a pre-newcrons book though.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#3 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

Black Crusade has a few Necron profiles in the Core Rulebook as well.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

I love what they did with the Pariahs in the new Codex!

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

Mind tellings us un-initiated what they did do with the Pariahs? :)

#6 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:04 AM

Gurkhal said:

Mind tellings us un-initiated what they did do with the Pariahs? :)

They're gone, and everybody pretends they never happened.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#7 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

woah!  they got deleted?  or just replaced?  and, ummm, how come?

#8 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'd like to say something like "Because of Matt Ward", but that's too simple.

They were removed because the Necron fluff got ret-croned  (see what I did there? ). Now they enslaved and destroyed the C'Tan, they're afraid of the Eldar (for some reason), they have personalities rather than being automatons and Pariahs don't fit into that new groove.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#9 Siranui

Siranui

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

Now they enslaved and destroyed the C'Tan, they're afraid of the Eldar (for some reason), they have personalities rather than being automatons...

W

T

F

?

#10 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

Siranui said:

W

T

F

?

Seems like they took all the Necrons personality and tossed it out the door so they could make more "interesting" stories to draw new players.

#11 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,004 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:46 AM

Lotta hate for the new/revised Necrons around these parts, but I have to say I really think the fluff is a vast improvement over the dreadfully dull Necrons of before.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#12 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:55 AM

Siranui said:

H.B.M.C. said:

Now they enslaved and destroyed the C'Tan, they're afraid of the Eldar (for some reason), they have personalities rather than being automatons...

W

T

F

?

Alas, this thread, like all threads dealing with Necron background in the past three months, is plagued by rampant hyperbole, wherein the changes are only explained in a way as to provoke an incredulous response rather than actually discussing them.

ItsUncertainWho said:

Seems like they took all the Necrons personality and tossed it out the door so they could make more "interesting" stories to draw new players.

Quite frankly, the "personality" of the old Necrons would easily have fitted through a small cat-flap; I personally don't see it as being that much of a loss.

Now, while Matt Ward seems these days to be the Michael Bay of miniatures wargame design, the Necron background as it exists in the new book isn't actually that bad, IMO. It appears worst to those who had a vested interest in the single background concept that they had, which was essentially mindless automaton legions led one of two predefined and vaguely Cthulhu-esque gods. The old Necron Codex basically had no actual background on the Necrons themselves, only a brief explanation of who they once were, accompanied by material that placed their gods as being behind every other conspiracy in the 40k setting.

It was, in a word, boring, at least as far as I'm concerned. Actually employing the Necrons in any sort of RP scenario as anything other than faceless enemies was like trying to recreate the entire score of Star Wars: A New Hope using only a Triangle - ineffective and ultimately frustrating.

The new background brings the Necrons themselves to the forefront, and sidelines the C'Tan to an extent. The origin story begins much the same - the Necrontyr, a sickly and frail species with impossibly advanced technology, warred with the Old Ones, and stumbled across the C'Tan during this ancient war. The C'Tan gave the Necrontyr immortality in the form of potent metal bodies, creating the Necrons, who fought at the feet of their new gods.

Here's where things change up a little. The rulers of the Necrons, as had long been established, retained much more of their self-identity than the commoners (the current background has this as a more gradual distinction - warriors are essentially mindless, Immortals have enough self-awareness to act autonomously and even speak, while the most powerful retain personalities and identities, though damaged by millions of years of dormancy and system malfunctions), and looked with horror at what they had been turned into (this was actually presented before the Necron Codex was released, in the novel Fall of Damnos - the Necron Lords in there demonstrate a good deal of personal body horror). At the end of the War in Heaven, with the Old Ones defeated and the C'Tan at their weakest, the Necrons struck back, turning their weapons upon their gods, shattering their forms and hiding the pieces in pocket dimensions. These shards of C'Tan are enslaved to the Necrons' will, and only contain a fraction of their original power (a true C'Tan can slay a solar system... a C'Tan Shard can lay waste to a small army). We don't actually know how many C'Tan shards there are, nor how many true C'Tan fled and hid rather than be sundered by the Necrons or slain by the Old Ones.

Their numbers depleted from revenging themselves upon their former gods, and with the foremost servants of the Old Ones - the Eldar - in ascendance, the Necrons chose hibernation, to wait out the millions of years until their foes were long gone, at which point they would emerge and rebuild the empire they had ruled before the C'Tan.

Sixty million years later, give or take a few million, the Necrons begin to emerge, in the latter centuries of the 41st Millennium. Some select groups remained awake in the intervening time. Others are irrevocably damaged, such as the accursed Flayed Ones, whose minds have degraded to the point of feral savagery, cladding themselves in the shredded remains of the living and 'drinking' their blood (they don't actually drink - they can't, it just runs down their bodies... but they're too crazy to care), or the nihilistic Destroyers who seek nothing less than the absolute annihilation of all life. For their own part, the Lords and Overlords seek dominion over the galaxy, but they are far from a unified force. Younger species are barely worthy of consideration, at least in the eyes of most, and are butchered without the same honourable conduct that characterises their internecine wars when they intrude upon Necron territories. The Eldar are still the enemy of old, though much depleted, and some Eldar forces have devoted themselves to the war against the returned Necrons (such as Alaitoc, which has apparently been waiting for their reemergence even as other Craftworlds forgot about the Necrons).

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#13 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Except for C'tan getting pwned I like it. The antagonism to the Eldar (as the old races) is good, that the leaders have personalities but warriors are zombies is in true undead style. There is not supposed to be great interaction with basic crons - just as with animated skeletons. But leaders need personalities, just as a Lich King or Vampire Count.

Just keep the fate of C'tan and the motivations of the crons shrouded in mystery, consider the shards mystic/magic items and I'm totally fine with it.

Alex

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#14 Siranui

Siranui

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:16 AM

Yeah... not keen on the C'Tan being spanked, either. They were a very interesting facet to the game universe. That's ten years of interesting and promising plot teasers and hints out of the window, due to an author's ego, to my mind.

What of all those hints of the Dragon on Mars? Gone? Never happened?

As to lack of personality: Undead armies (which the Necrons are) have always had that to a degree. That's what you get for playing empty husks devoid of personality. It's avoided by piling a bit of personality onto the leader-types. Or not... because some people WANT to play an army of automatons, which is why they are playing Necrons. 

Why would they be afraid of the Eldar to such a degree? Just because they lost? Is there more to it, or are all bad guys who lose now subject to fear against whoever spanked them?

Ultimately, I don't mind new canon. What I'm not keen on is when it seems to needlessly roughshod over old canon. It's like the author is peeing up a wall and marking territory. I'm fairly sure that new background could have been developed in concert with the old, instead of ignoring it and pretending that it never happened.

#15 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

Maybe it's my bias for the Tomb Kings showing, but I really like the new 'Cronz. Especially since I'm a roleplayer and not a TT-player, I find the new fluff ripe with potential for interesting interactions. On that note, the Necrons (or at least some factios) seem to really, really hate Tyranids now, so if any Deathwatch team wants to repeat Blood Angels' stunt and gang up on 'Nids along with a silent army of aeons' old cyborgs, it's now within the realm of possibility.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#16 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:45 AM

As a guy with only the most basic understanding of the Necrons, old and new, this new background seems alot more interesting to me than the old one. In fact I think that with the new Necrons I have found something that will work wonderful for my metaplot in my own campaign.

Thanks for the summery! :)

#17 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:07 AM

Anybody else who wants to see Quantum Shields and Living Metal in DW? Not to mention Reanimation?

Alex

#18 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:04 AM

I think that way to many faceless evils in different genres are lessened by the touchy-feely need people have to put personalities to them. The Necrons were a nightmarish, uncaring, unfeeling horde of mechanical zombies. No personality, no feelings, no humanity. You didn't feel a connection or kinship to them. They were the perfect bad guy. When you start making them just as petty and emo as everyone else in 40K you end up with nothing but a bland, homogenized re-beating of the same dead horse.

#19 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

ItsUncertainWho said:

I think that way to many faceless evils in different genres are lessened by the touchy-feely need people have to put personalities to them. The Necrons were a nightmarish, uncaring, unfeeling horde of mechanical zombies. No personality, no feelings, no humanity. You didn't feel a connection or kinship to them. They were the perfect bad guy. When you start making them just as petty and emo as everyone else in 40K you end up with nothing but a bland, homogenized re-beating of the same dead horse.

Since the characters will mostly have to do with lower ranks, it'll still be the same. At least in my campaign. I'm going to run them like classical undeads. Including evil overlord.

Alex

#20 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

ItsUncertainWho said:

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

I guess it is inevitable (and desirable to a degree) that a greater emphasis be placed on the personalities of individual Necron Lords for the purposes of making the Necrons attractive as an army to TT players. After all, the major attraction of 40k tabletop gaming is that you are painting up your army, a unique group of individuals operating within the setting. Necrons have up to now not really had the personality that other armies have had.

But I totally agree that giving them "petty and emo" motivations trivialises them completely, making them cartoonish and implausible. 

I would tentatively suggest that as roleplayers we're all hugely influenced by Call of Cthulu, and that the Necrons and the C'Tan have been the closest thing to Great Old Ones in the 40k setting. As RPGers, we're confortable with HP Lovecraft's underlying thesis - that there are immeasurably powerful beings out there, to whom we are less than insects, who regard us with disinterest at best or active malign intent at worst - so the "Old School" Necrons seem attractive in those terms, certainly more than the updated versions.  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS