Real scenery for Dust Tactics-Updated with bridge building tutorial

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sparkybrain

sparkybrain

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hi everyone, I just would like to share some pictures of our Dust battlefield. I've been playing DT since the beginning, loved the amazing miniatures but did not enjoyed the cardboard terrain that much. I've been playing wargames for 15+ years (I started with 40K like everybody) so I got a lot of experience making scratchbuilt terrain. Making terrain for Dust was really fun. All buildings are 3D versions of the buildings found in Operation Seelöwe. The rubble piles are considered Cross terrain and the walls are impassable terrain. I'm planning on making a couple more plus a bridge and river used in Victory Bridge. (With 3 or more buildings from Operation Cerberus) While I made all the scenery the minis are Dust premium because I just don't have the time to paint whole armies with all the projects I'm currently working on. ( I need to find a way to increase my lifespan so I can complete all my projects!)

Comments are more than welcome. Enjoy!

PS: Sorry for my pictures I'm no professionnal! And it's really dark in my basement.

#2 GorFrag

GorFrag

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

Nice, but rather small.

#3 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

I can't see anything in the pics. IS there any way you can post them larger?

#4 sparkybrain

sparkybrain

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

Sorry for that! I just fixed it

#5 GorFrag

GorFrag

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

Much better, looks great!

#6 Dcal12

Dcal12

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

By far the best scenery I have seen on here.  Would love to play on the board.

#7 theguildllc

theguildllc

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

Very well done.  Kudos.

#8 alien

alien

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Great board, very nice buildings.

#9 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Sweet, I've been thinking of doing the same but storage would be an issue.

#10 sparkybrain

sparkybrain

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Today I'm starting the basic layout for the Victory bridge. I'll make two 2x3 squares bridge sections so we may use them as either a long 2x6 squares bridge or 2 smaller bridges crossing the river. I'll try to post some pics once the foamcore and the balsa is starting to look like something...

#11 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Outstanding! The Luther debris looks great,

#12 Airborne

Airborne

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Major Mishap Hope this is of  assitance, Eileen and my self  buy plastic shoe containers type that go under the bed, approx 3ft x18" about14" deep,Buidings are designed to come apart, usually at each floor. Thanks to a loving wife,  models over shoes. Merry X-mas.

#13 sparkybrain

sparkybrain

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

Ok so I'm back with some pictures of my bridge project. It is not completed yet, still have to build the bridge pillars, then finish painting the water board and the bridge but you can have an idea of the finished project. I also decided to go all out with water features so I made a second water board so I may use both of them to create a coastline for use in amphibious assaults scenarios. I bought 3 LCM46 from Dust Models (very nice castings) but might add 1 or 2 more. I'll post more pictures soon.

@Major Mishap: I have 2 rooms dedicated to the purpose of gaming!

Comments are welcome!

#14 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Wow, superb!                                    

#15 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Sweet bridge!  Tutorial?

#16 Dcal12

Dcal12

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Very nice, I mean Really NICE!!!.  I thought I was lucky with just one room dedicated to gaming.

#17 theguildllc

theguildllc

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Well done.  Was the bridge bought or built?  Would love to see some "how to's".  Keep up the great work.  Also, jealous of your two rooms, I have...a closet.

#18 sparkybrain

sparkybrain

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

Thanks! Your feedback is much appreciated! A tutorial? That's a good idea! By chance, I took some shots during the building process. Are you interested in a tutorial for the bridge or the buildings (or both)?

@theguildlc: Apart from the large Ammo dump(Dust Models casting) all the scenery is scratchbuilt by me.

#19 theguildllc

theguildllc

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

I'd like to see one for the bridge more than the buildings but if you have the time and inclination then I'd like to see both.

#20 Softbatch

Softbatch

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

I would love to see how you built the bridge for sure! Please keep it coming!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS