Terror dice results and some other questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redox

redox

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

After few games of Elder Signs several things are not clear for me and I would really appreciate it, if someone could clarify it for me.

1. Cards containing terror effect: some of them also require terror result to finish the task (intrinsically or because of adding a monster with terror result required). How is handled then: is any terror result triggering the terror effect or just any 'extra' terror result is triggering the terror result (meaning above the number of required terror results)?

2. Rules say that when Investigator dies, he looses all the Items, Allies and Trophies. What happens with Elder Signs? Are they treated as Items and are discarded, or are they collected to the common pool of Elder Signs and are not lost when Investigator dies?

3. Placing the Monster tokens: If there are no more free places to place the Monsters on the Adventure Cards and new Monsters are drown can they be placed on the Adventure Card already containing the Monsters? Sometimes some Adventure Card can be considered too difficult or not worth trying to solve and then can multiple Monsters be placed under this Card?

#2 redox

redox

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

redox said:

2. Rules say that when Investigator dies, he looses all the Items, Allies and Trophies. What happens with Elder Signs? Are they treated as Items and are discarded, or are they collected to the common pool of Elder Signs and are not lost when Investigator dies?

It seems that I overlooked the fact, that Elder Signs are placed next to the Ancient One card, so apparently they are not lost when Investigator dies.

#3 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

1. Terror effects only activate when you fail a task and roll one or more Terror results.

3. Yes, you place the monster on any adventure card.  Currently, Elder Sign's rules are in something of a state of flux, since many things apparently didn't make it to the manual.  Some information on what the manual was supposed to say has arrived from Arkham Nights, but even then, it can be vague.  Case in point is monster placement.  My standard tactic when there are no free monster tasks is to pile all the monsters on an adventure that I probably wouldn't be attempting anyway.  Word from Arkham Nights is that this is not allowed, but it's unclear to what extent it's not allowed.  Are you limited to one monster (that's not on a monster task) per adventure before you start putting extras on?  Two?  Three?  Is it just a "spirit rather than letter" matter?  I don't know, and for now, I'm ignoring this report.

#4 SexyMike44

SexyMike44

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

my guess is at some point they will add some vague wording to it like how it is in Arkham Horror and how you put monsters out on a surge.  "spread it around if possible" or something similiar....=p

#5 Ocracoke

Ocracoke

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

Walk said:

My standard tactic when there are no free monster tasks is to pile all the monsters on an adventure that I probably wouldn't be attempting anyway.  Word from Arkham Nights is that this is not allowed, but it's unclear to what extent it's not allowed.  Are you limited to one monster (that's not on a monster task) per adventure before you start putting extras on?  Two?  Three?  Is it just a "spirit rather than letter" matter?  I don't know, and for now, I'm ignoring this report.

The Arkham Nights info was said to come from the designer Richard who was watching over a game, i.e. it wasn't his intend you could stock pile monsters. They should be evenly divided among the adventure cards. Think about it. Stock piling is picking and choosing which monsters you put in play. I would say you would be better off just looking through the "hat" and pick out the one you want, if you play this way. Come on, how many monsters can one location/room hold in a museum? :)

This game is a mess, more I read, the more convoluted it seems, so much so, it as been shelved until FFG comes out with a FAQ. I hope they include a rewrite of the rulebook. Love the guy who posted claiming the game is broken because he can just sit at the Entrance turn after turn and win the game never landing on an adventure card.

PS,

FFG posted a thread here, been pushed down, for users to post questions that maybe answered in the FAQ. Seems to be a short list that people have stopped posting to. I hope FFG takes the time to go through all the ones here and at boardgamegeek in their forum under rules. 

#6 randyhargis

randyhargis

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Walk said:

1. Terror effects only activate when you fail a task and roll one or more Terror results.

Rolled at any time during the attempt of the task or only on the last failing roll?

#7 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

I haven't read them yet, but maybe the revised rules or the FAQ answer these questions.

Elder Sign Support page

#8 Eyefink

Eyefink

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

This topic is quite old, but as it's been resurrected:

1. You suffer the Terror penalty every time you fail at a task, i.e. every time you roll and can't place any dice but rolled a terror die face, you suffer the consequence. There's an adventure card who's Terror Effect is you have to discard all terror dice, which wouldn't be much of an effect if you only suffered after failing the entire adventure. =]

2. Already answered

3. You play monsters first on Adventures with monster tasks, but if those run out then you place them on the bottom of the other Adventure cards (this is important for the Adventures that must be completed in order) as evenly as possible. So no, you can't just load one card up with monsters and give up on that space; no Adventure card can have two monsters on it unless all other Adventure cards have a monster on them first (excepting monster tasks on cards like Public Lavatory).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS