Jump to content



Photo

Good games other than Tide of Iron...


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RAF1945

RAF1945

    Member

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

 I was wondering if you know any good games besides tide of iron and memoir 44.



#2 Aussie_Digger

Aussie_Digger

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

Other games that I play are conflict of heroes (around the same scale as Toi, but uses counters), combat commander, axis and allies spring 1942, europe 1940 & pacific 1940, no retreat 2 (GMT edition), napoleons war (reminds me a little of memoir without cards) & battles of napoleon: the eagle and the lion. As you can see im into historical games and mostly ww2. Although for a change im thinking of getting eclipse (a space empire type game).



#3 VolksCamper

VolksCamper

    Member

  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

RAF1945 said:

 

 I was wondering if you know any good games besides tide of iron and memoir 44.

 

 

 

PanzerBlitz if you like platoon, company level game with easy rules, and a lot of variety of units. Just may need to change a few rules for trucks, and spotting, and use Opportunity fire  rule.

Victory in the Pacific, another old Avalon Hill game, is my all time favorite WW2 pacific war naval game. Very simple mechanics, and area movement, but very good  strategy game, and all the units are historically accurate, with names of ships and air units., and has reinforcement table historically accurate too. The sister game, War at Sea, is really good too, and even easier to play in only about an hour. Nothing really complicated, and lots of dice rolling. The British, although having more ships, have to control a lot of sea areas, while the German player can use U-boats and Luftwaffe to sink convoys. The Bismarck and Tirpitz are represented very well, and there is even the Italian Navy ships available in the Mediterranean Sea.



#4 Hefsgaard

Hefsgaard

    Member

  • Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

Victory in the Pacific :-) That is a dear old one.

Up Front, another old Avalon Hill game. Cardbased squad vs squad combat. Fastpaced with lots of tough decisions.

 



#5 waging_war

waging_war

    Member

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Axis & Allies Europe and Pacific 1940 played together is phenomenal. When I first set it up(took 1.5 hrs!!) I was awe struck. Although it's not a war strategy game, I've been playing Twilight Struggle alot lately. I've also seriously considered buying GMT's Case Yellow but haven't buried the hatchet yet.



#6 RAF1945

RAF1945

    Member

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

 Thanks to you all.. I have some suggestions to you all Conquest of the Empire and Memoir 44 are both excelent. Can any of you tell me how the Battles of Napoleon and Battle Cry are?



#7 kaufschtick

kaufschtick

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

RAF1945 said:

 

 Thanks to you all.. I have some suggestions to you all Conquest of the Empire and Memoir 44 are both excelent. Can any of you tell me how the Battles of Napoleon and Battle Cry are?

 

 

I can't speak for Battles of Napoleon, but Battle Cry is excellent. The first version was super, and I have to say that the rerelease of it is even better. They cleared up a few flaws from the original game (All Out Offensive card removed being one) and it is super.

I was hoping to see some more scenarios published for it too, as all the new ones they added were earlt civil war battles, leaving open the speculation that some later war scenarios were on the drawing table, but nothing as of yet.

Another game I picked up, but have not had the chance to play yet is Zvezda's Art of Tactic: Operation Barbarossa 1941. I always thought that ToI was a combination of AAM & M44. Art of Tactic seems like a blend of Tide of Iron, AAM & Flames of War, IMHO.



#8 Aussie_Digger

Aussie_Digger

    Member

  • Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Battles of napoleon, has a sort of ToI feel in a way set in napolianic times. There a different mechanics that run the game but it just reminds me of a ToI sort of game. It is on the same sort of complexitly level as ToI. Though the support is non existant for the game now as the company that made the game have gone bust, FFG are the distributors but everyone has been waiting on a FAQ for the game which has not come out yet (and its been out for longer than FotB) So i dont see any expansions for it or more scenarios. I would probably look at other napolianic games if you are interested in that era that have support.



#9 VolksCamper

VolksCamper

    Member

  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

Tide of Iron: Total War Edition is fantastic.  It includes New Rules for transport of AT guns, Early war tanks, more SPGs, Katusha rocket truck, Nebelwerfers, field artillery models, AA guns, model airplanes, plus large campaign maps with area play mode option , plus realistic painted Tank models in the original TOI scale, with stacking changed to only 1 heavy vehicle allowed per hex... and gun ranges increased, while movement rate decreased.and Close range = half normal range. That version, which is only available to me, has become my favorite game.  

My 2nd favorite game, is the original TOI,with all its pecular funny rules or lack thereof, like CF, truck blocking, AT guns not allowed in entrenchments, no halftrack panzergrenadier assault option., auto destroyed passengers when transport is destroyed, complicated off board artillery sequence, auto spotted LOS to all units in cover, premarked Opt fire allowing opponent perfect intelligence of when and where not to move... and the initiative only once per round, rather than after each cycle of both players completing one action phase.



#10 RAF1945

RAF1945

    Member

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

kaufschtick said:

RAF1945 said:

 

 Thanks to you all.. I have some suggestions to you all Conquest of the Empire and Memoir 44 are both excelent. Can any of you tell me how the Battles of Napoleon and Battle Cry are?

 

 

I can't speak for Battles of Napoleon, but Battle Cry is excellent. The first version was super, and I have to say that the rerelease of it is even better. They cleared up a few flaws from the original game (All Out Offensive card removed being one) and it is super.

I was hoping to see some more scenarios published for it too, as all the new ones they added were earlt civil war battles, leaving open the speculation that some later war scenarios were on the drawing table, but nothing as of yet.

Another game I picked up, but have not had the chance to play yet is Zvezda's Art of Tactic: Operation Barbarossa 1941. I always thought that ToI was a combination of AAM & M44. Art of Tactic seems like a blend of Tide of Iron, AAM & Flames of War, IMHO.

Could you tell the differences between Battle Cry and Memoir 44?



#11 TeufelHund

TeufelHund

    Member

  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

If you're looking for WW2 squad-based tactical games I can recommend, in order of complexity:

* Conflict of Heroes

* Combat Commander

* Lock N Load (as complex as I want to go)

I've also got Fighting Formations, which is platoon rather than squad based, which is also ok and not too hard to get a grasp of designed by the guy the developed Combat Commander.

 



#12 kaufschtick

kaufschtick

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

RAF1945 said:

 

Could you tell the differences between Battle Cry and Memoir 44?

 

IMHO, the game mechanic used in both games works the best with BattleCry.  As far as can you tell the difference between BattleCry and M44, I say yes. M44 has such a great company supporting it, and gets so damn much support, that that game has just taken on a world of it's own. It can be played in it's original version, or in Overlord style, or now in Breakthrough style,  there are mini combat card decks added, battle specific maps and scenarios, aircraft, terrain out the ying yang, different weapon types being added, troop types...and the list just goes on and on for that game.

Another thing that seperates M44 from BattleCry is the card deck used in each game, they have similarities in the section cards, but the rest of the decks are specific to the time period, and do a good job seperating one another.

Hope that helps.



#13 kaufschtick

kaufschtick

    Member

  • Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

The card systems however, to me, just feels 'right' in Battle Cry though.



#14 waging_war

waging_war

    Member

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

VolksCamper said:

Tide of Iron: Total War Edition is fantastic.  It includes New Rules for transport of AT guns, Early war tanks, more SPGs, Katusha rocket truck, Nebelwerfers, field artillery models, AA guns, model airplanes, plus large campaign maps with area play mode option , plus realistic painted Tank models in the original TOI scale, with stacking changed to only 1 heavy vehicle allowed per hex... and gun ranges increased, while movement rate decreased.and Close range = half normal range. That version, which is only available to me, has become my favorite game.  

My 2nd favorite game, is the original TOI,with all its pecular funny rules or lack thereof, like CF, truck blocking, AT guns not allowed in entrenchments, no halftrack panzergrenadier assault option., auto destroyed passengers when transport is destroyed, complicated off board artillery sequence, auto spotted LOS to all units in cover, premarked Opt fire allowing opponent perfect intelligence of when and where not to move... and the initiative only once per round, rather than after each cycle of both players completing one action phase.

If you didn't like it, why did you pay for it?



#15 VolksCamper

VolksCamper

    Member

  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

waging_war said:

If you didn't like it, why did you pay for it?

 

 

 

Because I was interested and the graphics portrayed the game nicely. The mechanics of the game quickly began to change my opinion, not long after playing the first scenario. However, having the set of figures and models and variety of boards was still a plus. So I just designed my own version, which is easier to play, more variety of units, more realistic, easier to start playing with new players., but more realistic than A&A or Memoir 44.

 



#16 RAF1945

RAF1945

    Member

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:25 AM

 It would be great to hear your variations.



#17 Sami K

Sami K

    Member

  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Same deal here as Volkskamper, and I've been developing my own rules as well - but you know how impossible it can be to get anyone to play "unofficial" rules. So I feel like I'm stuck with perfect components and graphics but cruddy rules to play them with.

 

What other games that are "official" could I relatively easily play with ToI maps and components? I'm not afraid to make my own scenarios and convert from other games, but it's the "officialness" of the rules that counts I guess?

 

Of course, I'd be interested at looking at Volks' rules as well.



#18 VolksCamper

VolksCamper

    Member

  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

 

I play TOI in several ways, depending on what co worker I can get to play the game. I use the Memoir 44 Scenarios and adapt TOI boards as close as possible to that configuration. Usually add a row of boards in the middle to lengthen the board so that the ranges and movement values of TOI units can be used rather than using Memoir 44 movement/range values.

The way we usually play uses a reverse order of the turn sequence, playing Command Phase first, followed by Action Phase, and then Status Phase.

Command Phase is where Iniitiative is determined by each player rolling a 6 sided die, adding any pts from objectives controlled, and the winner may move first in the Action phase.

The use of Command cards is optional. If players decide to use Command cards, then each player draws one card from a Command deck and places that card face down on his side of board.

Action Phase commences with active player checking his Command card and may play that card if he has the number of pts necesssary from control of objectives. If not, the card cannot be played this turn.

Next, the active player draws one card from the Memoir 44 deck to determine which and how many of his units can be activated. He may choose to activate all or some according to the card, or he may discard the card and may instead activate any one, and only one, of his units anywhere on the board, with an action, or may place that unit in Op Fire mode.

If the opposiing player has any of his units in Op Fire mode, one of them may be activated by one of the active players units moving into another hex while in LOS of the Op fire unit. The Op fire attack is executed and resolved and the Op fire unit is fatigued. If the active players unit survives with only light damage or no effect, then it may continue on to completion of its action. If heavily damaged, the unit must stop, but may execute an action like fire and move, adjusting Attack strength according to its damage status.

Once the active player has finished executing the no. of actions he had available, and has either fatigued or placed those units in Op fire mode, his action phase is over, and it is now the opposing players turn. Players continue to alternate back and forth, drawing a single Memoir 44 card for their action sequence, until all players units are fatigued, or in Op fire mode.

Status Phase

Status phase is simply determining objectives controlled, adding up the total no. of pts each player has from control of the those objectives, detemining medals won, (if using Memoir 44 scenarios), and determining if there is a winner. Then advancing turn marker one turn, and reshuffling the deck of Memoir cards to be ready for the next Action phase.

Optional units:

Airplanes (use models from Memoir 44)  Airplanes may be brought onto the board whenever either player in the action phase draws a Memoir 44 card indicating air strike. One plane model corresponding to that nation, enters the board from owning players side and may move to any hex adjacent  to an enemy unit and conduct an air attack on that unit.

Artillery:88 flakgun, 25 pdr field gun, 105 mm howitzer, M7 priest, GW-38, Nebelwerfer, or Katusha rocket truck, or Mortar squads

If player draws Memoir 44 card stating only Artillery units may fire, only the above units may be activated. Use range and firepower of 88 flak for all these other units,or use a chart for variable Attack strengths, with the added rule that no indirect fire is allowed on enemy units closer that 6 hexes to the firing unit.

AA guns, and AA halftracks

88 flak gun, 40 mm Bofurs AA gun, and AA halftrack units may, if in OP fire mode, execute that Op fire on an enemy Airplane that is about to conduct an airstrike. The range is determined when the Airplane moves into the hex adjacent to the unit it is about to attack.

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS