Too easy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peristarkawan

Peristarkawan

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

So after my first game-and-a-half where I flailed around not really knowing what I was doing, I now find that I'm consistently winning.  I've played six games since then, have won all six with scores over 4000, and most of them were not even close.  In the last game I tried using only one investigator (Jenny Barnes, who has one of my favorite abilities) to see if that would make things more challenging, but it didn't really.  Although she did actually have to retreat to the entrance to heal once, she just had four turns every day instead of one and sealed away the GOO with only 6 doom tokens on the board.  Her last three turns were spent cashing in 30 trophies for the last three elder signs.

Here's my question.  Does anybody else find the game a bit too easy?  And are there any suggestions out there for making it more difficult?

#2 Anifanatic

Anifanatic

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

You might have gotten really lucky. I've had runs of really lucky tasks and monsters and am currently on a run that's really bad. I'll start games with 3 midnight events, (clearing them got me 2 more), a locked yellow and green at the very start, and before the first night, spawn a red lock (who was the 4th part of one area). Made it nearly impossible, starting the game taking a day or two just to break even. There's a lot of luck involved in this, for better or worse.

#3 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

I lost 2 out of my first 5 games and thought the difficulty was reasonable (especially compared to the dice game, which is usually a cakewalk).  But then I won something like 14 out of the next 15 games.  Many were close, but still...  However, then I lost 4 out of 5, and since then it's been about 50-50 win/loss.  So who knows at this point...  Sometimes it's very random, like if you're hit by a 3 doomer or two (I really don't like those... I want the game to be difficult, but those are too harsh and random), and on the other hand, sometimes you'll get lucky to win.

The points/scoring system is meaningless, IMO, so I wouldn't put any stock in that.  What the app really needs is simple won/lost tracking, perhaps with the distinction of what investigators you played with and what their won/lost stats are.

#4 Peristarkawan

Peristarkawan

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:16 AM

Well, I'll keep playing then and see if my luck changes.  I definitely haven't had any starts as bad as the one Anifanatic describes.

Played another game this morning, four random investigators, got Sister Mary, Harvey Walters, Mandy Thompson, and Gloria Goldberg.  Won with 3 doom tokens on the board.

#5 Jedit

Jedit

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

Winning with a low number of Dooms is basically irrelevant.  No matter how good you are or how lucky you roll, you can always get several +2/+3 Dooms or the adventures that give Dooms even if you pass them. 

#6 tssfulk

tssfulk

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

I find it quite easy to win too; however, it is not nearly as easy as the analog version. That one requires house ruling to make you work up a sweat.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS