Just a bit of clarification

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tcabril

tcabril

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I recently purchased Elder Sign and I have tried playing it out but I am confused on one point.  I recently purchased the game for my iphone as well but though fun - it has made the game a bit more confusing/.

When the clock strikes midnight - how much does the doom track advance?  Does it depend on how many rooms with Terror icons are out there?

I literally just re-read the ruls cover to cover and I am still not getting this point.

Thanks

todd

#2 P.H. Craftlove

P.H. Craftlove

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

Hello tcabril,

Doom tokens aren't added to the doom track due to the strike of Midnight. Doom tokens are added in a few ways:

1)When you're directed to do so by a Mythos card. A mythos card is drawn each time the clock strikes Midnight. The card may not necessarily direct you to add a doom token.

2)Also, a doom token is added for failing some adventure cards--like "Transported by Magic."

3)Doom tokens are also added when you pass some Otherworld Adventure Cards--like "The Abyss." 

I own only the board game, not the iphone game. The two may be different in some ways, based on what I've read. But the above is how it works in the board game.  

#3 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

They're also added whenever an investigator is devoured.

#4 tcabril

tcabril

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

Thanks!

I reread the rules again after reading what you both posted and it makes much more sense to me now.

I really don't know where I got the Midnight = Doom token thing but as I could not find it again - i must have picked that up in the Dreamlands!

What the iphone/ipad version does - instead of Mythos cards it just randomly assigns 1-3 Doom tokens at Midnight - I almost one once (needed one more Elder Sign and the Doom Track needed one 3 more tokens) when Midnight hit and BOOM 3 Doom Tokens were assigned to the Doom Track and then Whoosh End of Game!!!

I prefer board games to computer games where possible so I may just use the iphone version when I am on the commuter rail

Thanks again

Todd

#5 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

tcabril said:

What the iphone/ipad version does - instead of Mythos cards it just randomly assigns 1-3 Doom tokens at Midnight

I think it's 0-3, although the 0 may be rare.  I've had a few times where at midnight it just says "no effects".

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS