Jump to content



Photo

Wishlist


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone

    Member

  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

This topic is to collect a wishlist for FFG for future expansions of this (intensely awaited) game!

First on my list is that they make a Character Editor System. Although the one they made for the previous game edition had its own faults, I still believe it was an interesting tool and was a base for following development (which eventually brought to the birth of Antistone's Herogen which was definitely the best hero editor for this game...if not for anything else, because it was EDITABLE itself!)

Second is of course more Dwarven presence. I'm a big Dwarf fan, so I'd like to see more of those in action in the following Descent edition. I read that "wandering" Dwarves are divided in two main groups: joung adventurers who need to prove themselves and a mercenary company (I forgot the name of that, though). I believe the dwarves we saw in action so long are from the first category and I'd love to see heavy tanker man-at-arms dwarves from the second category.

Third is that "Mists of Zenaga" and/or "Runebound-Midnight" characters make it to the 2nd Ed. Descent system. That would be awesome addition to the game, surething.



#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

Elric of Melniboné said:

First on my list is that they make a Character Editor System. Although the one they made for the previous game edition had its own faults, I still believe it was an interesting tool and was a base for following development (which eventually brought to the birth of Antistone's Herogen which was definitely the best hero editor for this game...if not for anything else, because it was EDITABLE itself!)

I'm sure someone will devise a system for homebrewing heroes in 2e, even if FFG doesn't do it themselves.

Elric of Melniboné said:

Second is of course more Dwarven presence. I'm a big Dwarf fan, so I'd like to see more of those in action in the following Descent edition. I read that "wandering" Dwarves are divided in two main groups: joung adventurers who need to prove themselves and a mercenary company (I forgot the name of that, though). I believe the dwarves we saw in action so long are from the first category and I'd love to see heavy tanker man-at-arms dwarves from the second category.

I believe you're referring to the Honor Swords.  I don't know how big an organization they are, actually.  They could probably be safely lumped in with the rest of the "wandering" dwarves out to prove themselves, with the caveat that they have better weapons, of course.

I wouldn't mind seeing at least one dwarven hero officially connected to the group, though.  If for no other reason than to hopefully glean some more details about exactly why they've been exiled from Dunwarr (and whether or not said exile was voluntary.)  =)

Elric of Melniboné said:

Third is that "Mists of Zenaga" and/or "Runebound-Midnight" characters make it to the 2nd Ed. Descent system. That would be awesome addition to the game, surething.

It's theoretically possible that the Zanaga heroes will be in the conversion kit.  Not guaranteed by any means, since they were never officially brought into Descent in 1e.  But it's possible.  Fingers crossed.

I doubt the heroes from Midnight will be in there, though.  Different setting and all.  Good fodder for homebrews, though.  =)



#3 ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone

    Member

  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

and I'm sure you remember from the 1st ed forum that I'm a big fan of homebrews...although lately I haven't been brewing anything for descent, since most of my attention was focused on Anima RPG...

BY THE WAY...

since we are at it, what I'd love for 2nd Ed Descent is little more balancing among heroes than in 1st ed. Since they had to "do them all again" for 2nd ed, it would be cool if they were more balanced this time!



#4 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Elric of Melniboné said:

since we are at it, what I'd love for 2nd Ed Descent is little more balancing among heroes than in 1st ed. Since they had to "do them all again" for 2nd ed, it would be cool if they were more balanced this time!

Definitely agree on that.  Not just for heroes but for skills, etc too.  I'd much prefer if they were all roughly the same power level rather than the "way cool" and "way sucky" division of 1e.  The elements can be randomly generated, but the average power level should be roughly uniform regardless of what gets drawn.



#5 ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone

    Member

  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, I guess my point applies to skills too...actually depending on the character some way-sucky-skills could become interesting in 1e, but still there were a few which were definitely MUST HAVE skills compared to almost all others.



#6 Mordjinn

Mordjinn

    Member

  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

Since the exact details of the core box are still unknown it is hard to wish anything exact for the expansions.

That said I hope that the upcoming expansions are thematically tight (no winter monkeys and giant spiders in adjacent rooms). Also I wish that the adventures are not just one offs and every Descent game creates a story (a bit like Mansions of Madness does). Also a series of linked adventures would be sweet (yeah, you can call it a campaign), where the actions of the previous games have an effect on the future ones.

Did you burn those corpses in the cemetary? Oh, you didn't? Then you have freshly risen zombies attacking a village and you have to choose whether to go after the lich king or defend the village.

Did you manage to get the Rune of Mormungil from the tomb before it collapsed? Oh, you did, great! Then you have an access to the Tomb of Mormungil to get knowledge of vulnerabilities of the vile necromancer.

Etc.



#7 Pseudo Rage

Pseudo Rage

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Mordjinn said:

 

 Also I wish that the adventures are not just one offs and every Descent game creates a story (a bit like Mansions of Madness does). Also a series of linked adventures would be sweet (yeah, you can call it a campaign), where the actions of the previous games have an effect on the future ones.

 

 

Taken directly from the description page. 

With encounters that function as both standalone experiences or as part of a linked series of quests. The story even adapts to your successes and failures! Did you make it out of the dungeon alive, but fail to complete an important objective? Your failure may have strengthened an unknown enemy, or robbed you of some future opportunity.

 

I'm really excited about this game. It feels like they are correcting all of descent's weaknesses and it will play how the first descent should have played. 



#8 Mordjinn

Mordjinn

    Member

  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Pseudo Rage said:

Taken directly from the description page.

With encounters that function as both standalone experiences or as part of a linked series of quests. The story even adapts to your successes and failures! Did you make it out of the dungeon alive, but fail to complete an important objective? Your failure may have strengthened an unknown enemy, or robbed you of some future opportunity.

 

Linked series of quests is pure awesomeness, but I also wish to see a game where every single quest has more to it than "walk through the dungeon and kill everything". 1st edition had a couple of quests, where there was an attempt to create puzzles within the quest itself and Mansions of Madness is all about creating a story during the play session. I really really really wish that Descent 2nd edition goes down that road where each quest is a story itself, which offers twists and turns and tough choises to players. It's even better if these twists and turns are somehow randomized, so each game is different. THEN when you have this awesome and story driven one off quest system you can link them and create a deep and immersive campaign.

 

 



#9 Pseudo Rage

Pseudo Rage

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

That my dear sir sounds absolutely fantastic. Almost like writing the story as you play, brilliant!! I’d have to agree that would add an immense amount of depth and just suck you in to the story itself. I for one will be wishing for this as well



#10 noodles

noodles

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

I just hope that there's a way to incorporate the 1e props/traps/obstacles into 2e.  The conversion kit is great for the characters but I want to be able to bring it all to 2e OR be able to play 1e with the 2e rules...so here's hoping for some backwards compatibility.

But if expansions follow for 2e then I'd like to see the 1e highlights make an updated return.



#11 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

noodles said:

I just hope that there's a way to incorporate the 1e props/traps/obstacles into 2e.  The conversion kit is great for the characters but I want to be able to bring it all to 2e OR be able to play 1e with the 2e rules...so here's hoping for some backwards compatibility.

I don't know if FFG will do this (there's no indication, at least in the base box), but I'm sure the fans will anyway.  I know I already have "converting" the 1e vanilla quests earmarked as a project to consider once I have 2e in my grubby hands =)



#12 noodles

noodles

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Steve-O said:

noodles said:

 

I just hope that there's a way to incorporate the 1e props/traps/obstacles into 2e.  The conversion kit is great for the characters but I want to be able to bring it all to 2e OR be able to play 1e with the 2e rules...so here's hoping for some backwards compatibility.

 

I don't know if FFG will do this (there's no indication, at least in the base box), but I'm sure the fans will anyway.  I know I already have "converting" the 1e vanilla quests earmarked as a project to consider once I have 2e in my grubby hands =)

I do too.  Let me know if you want to collaborate.  Hopefully the 2e rules will make it an easy project.

I believe that I am looking forward to this game more than any other recently.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS