Adventures from the other systems.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bmaynard

bmaynard

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

I've own the core book from each of the 40k systems (DH, RT, DW and BC) but I've never looked at any of the adventure modules. Black Crusade is easily my favorite of the systems, however, and I was wondering if there were any adventure modules from the other systems that would make good chaos adventures.

I'm looking for ones that could be easily adapted to star the chaos party instead of their respective game system's heroes.

-or-

Adventures that were great for the imperials and it would be fun to play a chaos group performing the prequel events, thereby setting up the adventure in the book.

-or-

Adventures where the Chaos players could take on the role of the NPCs in the adventure and what would have been an imperial party can be the NPCs hounding their steps.

Thanks,

#2 Saibot

Saibot

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

I think Dark Heresy adventures are probably the best source, special mention goes to:
Purge the Unclean: Part III: Baron Hopes (simply switch roles and have the Heretics support the uprising of the Broken Chains while trying to smash the Inquisition, Arbites and Planetary Governance and subduing or eradicating the loyalist mutants)

Part II: Shades on Twillight can also work well, perhaps even with less re-tooling than Baron Hopes. Of course, you should use the updated rules for the Dark Eldar.

Either adventures difficulty would of course need to be increased, with more obstacles, more enemies and tougher enemies (although taking on the whole of Sepheris Secundus together with the Broken Chains could prove difficult enough by itself).

Most of the Haarlock Legacy is also prime material for being turned into a BC campaign because of the places and circumstances where/under which these adventures tend to take place you can almost wholesale import them into BC, only changing the difficulty (upwards, of course) and the reasons why the Heretics are after it.

#3 Bladehate

Bladehate

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

The RT published stories are also great material for BC adventures.  This is partly due to them taking place in Koronus, which is basically lawless.  Some changes would be necessary, but even Footfall would not be off limits to a sneaky group of heretics. 

Obviously it would necessitate giving your heretics a ship but I don't see that as too much of a problem.  The freedom to roam, make your own decisions and plans can definitely work with a BC campaign.  The increase in scope is also not much of a problem to a GM used to RT.  And going up against Karrad Vall in the Warpstorm Trilogy or racing head to head with powerful RTs in Lure of the Expanse would definitely be a worthy way to get wealth, power and reputation for a warband. 

Anything from DH is best suited to an all human group, since so much of the action takes place in Imperial or borderline Imperial space.  If you follow the rules to the letter, CSMs would have a very hard time keeping a low profile in such places.

#4 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

Saibot said:

Most of the Haarlock Legacy is also prime material for being turned into a BC campaign because of the places and circumstances where/under which these adventures tend to take place you can almost wholesale import them into BC, only changing the difficulty (upwards, of course) and the reasons why the Heretics are after it.

Saibot, I salute you! This is a great idea. In fact, the pc could be some doomsday cult bringing about the tyrant star... and would want to start as much havoc as possible in "DAmned Cities". Even the starting in "Tattered Fates" is a fine one as the pc are all captured heretics that were sentenced to death as arena fodder (ro some reason or other) and thereby ende up in the Red Cages.

...if al lplayers are HUMAN.

#5 bmaynard

bmaynard

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

Sounds great. Many thanks for the info. I'll be checking those out as I have a buddy with all the DH books handy.

#6 Saibot

Saibot

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

I would wager to say, with some adjustments most of those adventures also work with CSM.

Shades on Twillight basically takes place on a Space Hulk, so no need to try to hide from Imperial Authority. In Baron Hopes the CSM could focus on directly  aiding the Broken Chains in the underground and so leaving the Human members of the Warband to play the "face".

Some of the Haarlock Legacy adventures play on "lawless" or "neutral" ground, so those work with CSM as well, but not all of them do.

#7 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

Oddly enough, I think it might actually be possible for Black Crusade to use the House of Dust and Ash module in Disciples of the Dark Gods almost exactly as its written, with a slight alteration to the intro sequence, and explain why the heretics might be interested in the auction.

Most certainly, a Black Crusade group could be used as a "behind the scenes" force to the events in that module, but it works just as well to have them be a proper party present at the auction. With a bit of handwaving, you could even say its being held outside of the Imperium, such that the party may actually get away with having traitor legionaries in the party.

#8 bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

I think it would be great fun to play Logician agents in Edge of Darkness, and especially fun to model the adventure on the the previous experiences on how a loyal group handled the mission. It would also make a great pvp game with two game masters.

it takes only a small amount of charitable reading to make the internet dramatically more palatable.

#9 Hygric

Hygric

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

The Warp Storm trilogy from RT would be a relatively easy adaption to BC, so long as the heretics control a ship.  Caution, the following will contain spoilers!

Part 1 could be fun, saving the nice little Imperial colony from dirty orks, so long as they embrace the true gods.  Subvert, convert, fight!  A bit of a re-write at the end will be needed, as I don't see Eldar being all that willing to assist heretics in any way.  You could relatively easily replace them with three mysterious wytches that have used their sorcerous arts to locate Skadi.  The appearance of the Whisper could still work, see part 3.

Part 2 needs virtually no change and could be run as a great stand-alone for any BC game.  What better way to prove your worth as a group of heretics than nick the loot of possibly the most powerfull chaos champion in the expanse!

Part 3 has major problems with converting over, namely the Eldar.  Possible solutions might be to change the spirit stone with the farseer in it to being a spirit stone with a trapped keeper of secrets in it.  The Whipser of Anaris could be corrupted enough to follow the caged daemon.  The initial corsair raid could be harlequins determined to destroy the stone.  The Edlar conclave could be a meeting between a few heretic warbands that have got together to oppose Vall, replacing the harlequins with Emporers Children CSM's. etc etc.  Best point of converting this one over would be the chance to crush Vall and nick his empire.

Or, just use part 1 and 2 as unrelated adventures.

#10 Hydriatus

Hydriatus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

I imagine that the Whispers in the Storm adventure (RT GM Kit) would work really well with a little tweaking - just have the Svard system renamed to some little outpost the deamonic forgeworlds utilise to harvest promethium, with the warband being sent in to investigate. The Keel subplot could be discarded or reworked to make Keel a pirate lord on the search for his favoured psyker agent who has gone missing.

The Whisperer would be an annoyance since it would affect capacity, though in the end this could lead to a very powerful moment - destroy the Whisperer and gain the favor of the Dark Mechanicum in the Vortex, OR ally with the Whisperer and gain an unimagineable asset that will await their call for a Black Crusade. Until that time it sets off to enslave other worlds and build up an armada. Or whatever you deem appropriate. But point out that the Dark Gods will lose followers as they are enslaved by the Whisperer, potentially making the Vortex unstable as their power wanes if the ship gets too zealous in it's mission to topple the Imperium…

#11 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

after reading thru it the mission from the back of the lathe worlds could be run almost as is as well, just up the difficulty and come up with a reason for the party to be there in the first place.

i would probly go with the hollows asking for a favor to disrupt the blind followers of the maschine god and steal the device in the end

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS