Question about Leonx Rider

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ksedih

Ksedih

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

1.  "Until end of turn" means that when units retreating into adjacent hex (end of battle) is no longer kill them?

2. If one of Leonx Riders reveal orb, then he can use ability, or each of them (participant in the battle)?

#2 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Ksedih said:

1.  "Until end of turn" means that when units retreating into adjacent hex (end of battle) is no longer kill them?

The turn lasts beyond the battle; so the Leonx riders could kill retreating units (in fact, that's almost certainly where they will retreat, especially if there are no sorceresses).

Ksedih said:

2. If one of Leonx Riders reveal orb, then he can use ability, or each of them (participant in the battle)?

Yes, if's like the Flesh Ripper ability that one orb affects Flesh Rippers.  However, for each retreating unit you destroy, you must rout a Leonx Rider, so you are still limited in the number of retreating units you can kill.

#3 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

It looks like the card says "until the end of battle", so I don't think the units retreating after a failed attack would be eligible.

#4 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:07 AM

KevinBakon said:

It looks like the card says "until the end of battle", so I don't think the units retreating after a failed attack would be eligible.

Retreating is part of the battle, too - it's Step 6a, on page 21.

#5 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Wow, than I guess I'll be bringing more of those to battle!  That's brutal (as long as you win the battle).

#6 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

sigmazero13 said:

Ksedih said:

The turn lasts beyond the battle; so the Leonx riders could kill retreating units (in fact, that's almost certainly where they will retreat, especially if there are no sorceresses).

For what it's worth, I just checked the text of the Leonx Rider ability, and assuming the preview image of the Latari unit replacement card is correct, it uses the phrase "end of battle", not "end of turn", which is quite a difference.

From my interpretation, the attacker doesn't retreat until AFTER the end of the battle, when he places his units on the board.  As such, since the Leonx ability only works within the battle itself, it cannot be used against units on the attacking force who must retreat due to overstacking.

#7 Nasigoreng

Nasigoreng

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Just for clarification: Does the Elven Player decide the unit(s) to be destroyed when his opponent retreats more than one unit from battle?

#8 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Nasigoreng said:

Just for clarification: Does the Elven Player decide the unit(s) to be destroyed when his opponent retreats more than one unit from battle?

Yes, because while the units retreat simultaneously, the phrasing of "an enemy unit" and "destroy the unit" implies that you can let any specific retreating unit be the "trigger" for the ability.

IE, if a footman and a knight both retreat, you can have the knight be the "an enemy unit" to trigger the ability, and then "the unit" (the knight) is destroyed.

#9 Nasigoreng

Nasigoreng

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

Excellent. Thanks Sigma!

#10 Wanderer999

Wanderer999

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

If I'm correct, this ability is more used for combo with the Sorceress' ability to force enemies to retreat during a battle itself. It should not be meant for killing enemies who retreat AFTER a battle is won.

#11 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Wanderer999 said:

If I'm correct, this ability is more used for combo with the Sorceress' ability to force enemies to retreat during a battle itself. It should not be meant for killing enemies who retreat AFTER a battle is won.

That is certainly one of the main ways to use it, but the loser retreating his units is specifically listed in the battle steps, and thus is part of the battle.  (IE, the ability is not tied exclusively to the Sorceress ability; they can chase down the fleeing units at the end of battle, too).

The only "retreating" that is NOT part of the battle is any retreating done by the attacker due to overstacking.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS