The Mightiest of Them All

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

I played my first Cthulhu game recently, and the big guy's quite a handful.  Things started out fairly well (I was Carolyn Fern).  I won a number of adventures and racked up a decent number of signs.  But the Doom tokens were going up pretty fast as well, thanks partly to a number of failed adventures.  I was held up by some die-locking monsters and eventually died due to an extreme oversight (I failed to reaize that failing the adventure I was on would deplete my last Stamina and thus didn't use my Heal).  I drew Bob Jenkins with only a few Dooms left.  He bit it pretty soon as well, with the Doom token for his devouring waking up Cthulhu.  Knowing that I would need a miracle even if I drew a good investigator, I drew...Ashcan Pete.  Yay.  So, you can probably guess how that went.  That's right, Ashcan Pete immediately started beating the tar out of Cthulhu.  No, seriously.  It was unbelievable.  I have never had such lucky rolls in my life.  I just kept rolling the requisite results, and Cthulhu's Doom track was steadily draining.  I got him all the way down to one Doom token before my luck turned.  He was at three Doom tokens when Ashcan finally fell.

So, can anyone do me one better?  Ever beaten Cthulhu with an unarmed Ashcan Pete (or another unarmed investigator whose ability didn't matter)?

#2 P.H. Craftlove

P.H. Craftlove

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

My investigators are 2-1 versus old Cthulhu. Sister Mary and Amanda Sharpe won; Ashcan Pete lost miserably. When I lose an investigator, I don't draw another, I just chalk it up as a loss for them, a win for the Old One. 

#3 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

Shub Nigguarath.

She is a BEAST and she SUCKS to fight.

#4 Phiveball

Phiveball

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:15 AM

I don't redraw investigators when mine die. I decide at the beginning how many I'm using, usually no more than three, and once they are dead, it's game over.  I've managed to beat each of the GOOs and my win percentage is pretty high, so I'm looking forward to future expansions that add more challenge and depth.  I have only played as Pete once and he went insane pretty early in the game because I wasn't paying close attention to his sanity. I love the games that come down to the wire like yours. There is something a bit unsatisfying about winning the game by purchasing the final elder sign needed.  Who knew they sold elder signs at the museum gift shop.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS