46 replies to this topic

#1 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

What can you say about them?

I don't have the expansion with them, but I checked them at the AHWIKI and some of them seem ridiculous. Where the hell would you take 4 allies to sacrifice? 

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

What can you say about them?

I don't have the expansion with them, but I checked them at the AHWIKI and some of them seem ridiculous. Where the hell would you take 4 allies to sacrifice? 

Some of them are great (mineralogy report), some of them are not. Some of them are very easy to accomplish, some others are just good objects to sacrifice when asked to discard something. But some of them allow you a very thematic game, if you accept to design Scenarios or similar stuff. Amikezor designed a *great* Scenario that can only be won by accomplishing certaing missions.

It's just the way you play the game, I think. As for me, I go for them only when playing a League and I want to score some extra points. But they're fun.

IIRC, Avec plays with a special rules allowing you to go somewhere and buy specifically Missions and Tasks, which can add flavour to your games.

Some others play that if you draw one Mission / Task as starting equipment, you discard it and draw again. Use them the way you feel (after getting DH, obviously)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

It would be logical in most of cases if tasks and missions are available to take at their last-to-visit printed locations instead of encounter(paying the listed price for missions).

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:45 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Where the hell would you take 4 allies to sacrifice? 

Where? Four spaces listed on the card !

Why? To win, duh .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 Treguard

Treguard

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:52 AM

It happened when I was playing yesterday

"Wilson Richards: One Man, One Motorcycle, One Mission.. to Die!"

Shame he got swallowed by a moon beast instead hurr

#6 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:02 AM

Dam said:

Why? To win, duh .

I meant, where the hell you obtain them from for this purpose?

We never had a person having more than 2 allies throughout the game, and having 2 allies at once was a huge rarity.

#7 Treguard

Treguard

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:06 AM

Some people start with allies, some can obtain allies as part of their Personal Story (Jenny reunites with her sister, Hank finds his Pa etc).. Certainly puts a dark bent on things when you're sacrificing your own kin

Personally I have no problems with the mission, but the bigger problem is that it's incredibly difficult to prevent an investigator from enacting this if they do go traitor.. I suppose judicious use of Call Friend may upset their plans but PvP was never the original intention.

If someone in your group seriously considers pulling off this mission then you might as well throw your hands up in defeat-  you lose either through their success, or by effectively being down a player for the game.  AH certainly isn't a quick game, so it takes a certain level of cojones or spite to while away the hours playing the traitor card. Don't expect to be very popular as a result! 

#8 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:28 AM

Treguard said:

Some people start with allies, some can obtain allies as part of their Personal Story (Jenny reunites with her sister, Hank finds his Pa etc).. Certainly puts a dark bent on things when you're sacrificing your own kin  

Very true. Not to mention that Missions and Tasks were out when the game had only two expansions, so a lot less encounters. If you play core game + DH and stop, and you have Darrell with you, it's not that impossible for him to gather a couple of Allies in the first Mythos. Four is a lot, but it's not so insane to achieve. I had games with people finishing with three, so if I went shopping for the fourth one, I'd get it

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#9 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:09 AM

Julia said:Very true. Not to mention that Missions and Tasks were out when the game had only two expansions, so a lot less encounters. If you play core game + DH and stop, and you have Darrell with you, it's not that impossible for him to gather a couple of Allies in the first Mythos. Four is a lot, but it's not so insane to achieve. I had games with people finishing with three, so if I went shopping for the fourth one, I'd get it

Achieving 4 allies is only half of the road. The second half is getting with em to the required places safe and not losing them due to diffrent events.

And not being devoured yourself ofcourse.

Had someone won the game by this mission in your experience?

God I hate this forum quote system. Why not just

tags? Why this uncontrollable sheet?

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Achieving 4 allies is only half of the road. The second half is getting with em to the required places safe and not losing them due to diffrent events.

MNL, my post was to answer your "how can I get 4 allies?", and that's all. As I told you, success in this missions can be a pain in the ass to achieve, and it heavily depends on how long your games last. My games usually last 11-12 turns and that's it. 15-16 if I have a kinda meh party. So, no time for this. But if your games last 22 to 24 turns, you should have a lenty of time for this. It also depends on the numebr of investigators you play: if you play only 3 investigators, you'll have more enocunters with each investigator, thus the odds of getting more allies with the same character increase.

Finally, against some AOs, having this mission can be a good way out: I had some Atlach games lasting for a whole eternity, thus if I had that mission, I could have easily won by finishing it

#11 Brine

Brine

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

Just power through some gates and get some at Ma's Boarding House.

#12 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:53 AM

11-12? You achieve sealing/closing victory that fast?

How many people are playing? 8?

One of our prev games against Az+KiY lasted over 30 turns.  

#13 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Dam said:

Why? To win, duh .

I meant, where the hell you obtain them from for this purpose?

We never had a person having more than 2 allies throughout the game, and having 2 allies at once was a huge rarity.

Pete can do it very easily with Dhole chants.  Extremely easy for him actually.  Guess we all know which side *he's* on ;'D Misanthropic homeless man.

#14 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Let's do the math here.  30 clues are necessary for a sealing victory.  Let's say each investigator starts with 1 clue (unreasonable, since some are likely to start with more, but, whatever).  A total of 55-60 investigator turns are given.  To seal six gates will require 18 investigator turns.  Let's say each investigator can only gather one clue per turn (you can technically do more), you need to spend another 25 turns to get the clues.  That's 47 investigator turns with 8 to 13 left over for healing, fighting, shopping, or whatever (and the truth is, I'm fudging these numbers because in all likelihood, you'll get clue equivalent items to speed this up, and trade trophies at the science building, so some investigators will get clues at a rate faster than 1 per turn).  And geeze, that's a 5 investigator team ;') with six you can really inflict damage...  And 8.  Eep...  The only way 8 investigator teams can lose is by not knowing what they're doing ;') which is frequent with eight players, but, in solitaire, if you know what you're doing and are controlling eight players, you might as well just tell the game to forfeit.

#15 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Had someone won the game by this mission in your experience?

I've completed Join the Winning Team in a solo game with 4 investigators. Leo Anderson starts with 1 Ally, got another on his first turn at STL. On that same turn, Dhol Chants was shopped at the Curiositie Shoppe and later traded to Leo. I think he got the fourth at Ma's, can't recall TBH.

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2789884#2789884

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. My best in a "normal game" is a victory by sealing gates in 7 turns, scored against Ybb'tsll and Father Dagon. IIRC, I won when Ybb had only two doomers.

I had a victory by closing gates in 6 turns, but in Avi's League using custom material, so I don't think it can be considered "official" (but if you like to give it a try, follow the link in my signature and read Scenario 05)

I generally play 5 investigators. Six in some cases (all boards in play). And as Avi pointed out, I play alone, or in two, sometimes. I know perfectly what I'm doing, and I tend to move the investigators as an orchestra, and focus on sealing.

During the 33 games played during 2011, I played 20 or more turns only on 4 occasions, two of them being sessions for the French League and I kept playing for the score even if I could have won quite earlier. The other two were scored recently, playing only AH and MH, so less locations to gather clues and less gates on the board (tons of bouncing on ES and monster surges, so a lot of turns wasted waiting for a gate to enter)

#17 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

Avi_dreader said:

The only way 8 investigator teams can lose is by not knowing what they're doing ;') which is frequent with eight players, but, in solitaire, if you know what you're doing and are controlling eight players, you might as well just tell the game to forfeit.

Yep. That's the point, Avi perfectly hit it. If you play solitaire, it's another music

#18 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

So, technically, you're playing with ton of investigators alone?

How's your score in multiplayer sessions? 

#19 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

So, technically, you're playing with ton of investigators alone?

How's your score in multiplayer sessions? 

I play very rarely with more than another person by my side (and when playing in two, I know rather well how the other person plays, since he's the one who introduced me to boardgames). And generally, when palying with others, I tend to give advices on how to play, but don't force others to play according to my strategy, so it happens I lose some games and the score usually isn't that high

#20 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Julia said:

I play very rarely with more than another person by my side (and when playing in two, I know rather well how the other person plays, since he's the one who introduced me to boardgames). And generally, when palying with others, I tend to give advices on how to play, but don't force others to play according to my strategy, so it happens I lose some games and the score usually isn't that high

It's so hard to find other players in your homeplace?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS