• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbs320

Kirbs320

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hi there guys

I know this is primarily a U.S board but are there any active players from the U.K around , trying to talk a bunch of my old gaming buddies into giving CoC a try and I want to figure out if theres already a tournie scene knocking about.

- Mark

#2 Mabrothrax

Mabrothrax

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

There are a couple of older topics with various UK bods waving and saying "Oi! I wanna play".

I'm in East Sussex, and I'm amazed that I can't find any Cthulhu activity in or around London. 

#3 Kirbs320

Kirbs320

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

So does that mean just the two of us at the moment then ?  is there no tournie seen at all ?, im down on the south coast and used to be a raw deal / L5R and Magic player so have a fair ammount of experience in building a play base ... but its just getting it started is all.

#4 Mabrothrax

Mabrothrax

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

Kirbs320 said:

So does that mean just the two of us at the moment then ?  is there no tournie seen at all ?, im down on the south coast and used to be a raw deal / L5R and Magic player so have a fair ammount of experience in building a play base ... but its just getting it started is all.

I really have no idea. My brother and I have been longtime LOTR (decipher), V:TeS, ST 1e and many other ccg players. We only recently got into Cthulhu.

Looking on this board there appear to be a few scattered UK players. I'm damn sure there is a small pocket of London/south of England somewhere, I really hope there is, why should the  Americans and Europeans get all the events? 

I buy online as the various independent stores have slowly declined, and I'm guessing with them went the player base I used to interact with 5 - 10 years ago.

Tentacles crossed more Brits decide to stop lurking and get playing...

#5 Wendigo

Wendigo

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

I understand your disappointment of not being able to find players for such a nice card game. I was in the same situation in the end of 2008. With the help of only ONE another player which I met online on the French board 'Le Cénacle', we set-up a 'gathering of Cthulhu and Lovecraft fans' evening at the local club and communicated online for about three weeks on the Cenacle and the local boardgames club forum. It was an unexpected surprise as we were 11 people that evening, with one curious beginner (who is now an experienced and regular player) and a bunch of former young cultists who were experienced players of the CCG format! And from there, the rest is history : after an organized play event in the following Summer, we had a quite active community of 8-10 players, plus some semi-regular players! An now, a couple of years later, our annual tourney is hosting the European Champ! 

It's a long shot but have you seen there is a thread about an unspeakable Cthulhu week-end in Liege, Belgium coming this next week-edn!? If you are located near London, attending Liege event is even closer than going somewhere in North of United Kingdom. At least 25 people have confirmed!The local Belgian community is very welcoming.

Furthermore, the CoC events are hosted within a quite important gaming convention. There are regular players coming from abroad, and even a couple of British gentlemen who are mostly attending for some years now to play the 18XX train games.

#6 Mabrothrax

Mabrothrax

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:02 AM

Wendigo said:

I understand your disappointment of not being able to find players for such a nice card game. I was in the same situation in the end of 2008. With the help of only ONE another player which I met online on the French board 'Le Cénacle', we set-up a 'gathering of Cthulhu and Lovecraft fans' evening at the local club and communicated online for about three weeks on the Cenacle and the local boardgames club forum. It was an unexpected surprise as we were 11 people that evening, with one curious beginner (who is now an experienced and regular player) and a bunch of former young cultists who were experienced players of the CCG format! And from there, the rest is history : after an organized play event in the following Summer, we had a quite active community of 8-10 players, plus some semi-regular players! An now, a couple of years later, our annual tourney is hosting the European Champ! 

It's a long shot but have you seen there is a thread about an unspeakable Cthulhu week-end in Liege, Belgium coming this next week-edn!? If you are located near London, attending Liege event is even closer than going somewhere in North of United Kingdom. At least 25 people have confirmed!The local Belgian community is very welcoming.

Furthermore, the CoC events are hosted within a quite important gaming convention. There are regular players coming from abroad, and even a couple of British gentlemen who are mostly attending for some years now to play the 18XX train games.

I am aware of Liege, sadly cost time and life in general are prohibiting me form going, perhaps next year?

Having been a part of various ccg/rpg etc scenes over the years I know that with two or three like-minded persons, in the right place, can create a decent games group.

The challenge is finding people, especially when we (in the UK at least) automatically assume there's no one out there playing! Something of a 'catch-22'.

#7 Dissident

Dissident

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:47 AM

Hi guys.

I moved to London (south London to be precise) a couple of months ago and am looking to find some other CoC players to try and start playing regularly.

If you're interested give me a shout so that we can arrange something.

Cheers.

#8 IAN LACEY

IAN LACEY

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

A New Year, but sadly a familiar lament. At least there seems to be some activity down in England. At one stage I had the distinct pleasure of attending a tournament at Glasgow QMU, when it was CCG. Since the shift to LCG, (I do not imply there is a connection), it got to the stage where I was collecting Asylum packs, for the sake of collecting. The way forward may be to get in touch with the organisers of conventions, (Salute, Colours, etc), and see if some sort of meeting could be arranged. I continue to encounter a few shops selling the Asylum packs, but organised support there is none. Which is a great shame because it is such a good game.

#9 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

Last year I tried to see if there was any interest in the UK for an annual tournament for the game but just didn't get many responses. Sadly there doesn't seem to be many CoC players about these days.

#10 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

All my local CoC players have ditched the game in favour of Magic.

I don't suppose there are any Cambridgeshire area folks looking to play are there?

#11 R.Carter

R.Carter

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Im from yorkshire and there doesnt seem to be anyone playing coc here even though my local store sold there stock someone? I advertised for players but mtg seems to be only organised play group in my city

#12 Cplwilks

Cplwilks

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Apologies for the slight Necro but it seemed to make sense to keep everyone in the same thread as it were!

There are currently four of us in Exeter, Devon playing about once a week on a Friday at the local game store (Clifton Road Games).  There was some talk over the recent Regionals application post and I was asked how many people I could expect if my local store owner requested to run one.  So, would anyone travel down here for a Regional?  I advised him that there were probably several players dotted around the country but no-one seems to play 'competively' compared to other LCG's such as AGoT or A:NR

Heck, if anyone just want's to come down for some games that would be cool!  At the moment i'm the only one who's really got a full set as it were having collected the LCG from the start but it's always refreshing to play against new people

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS