a new version of the Strange Eons plug-in is finished. You can download it at http://www.4shared.c...6sOk6/LotR.html or at Svenn’s page at http://tabletopgeeks...game-resources/ (look for LotR Encounter Pack plug-in), who kindly offered to host it, too! As the pool of fan-made adventures is and hopefully will be growing, this plug-in could be a nice tool for card creators.
In the new version it's not only possible to create custom encounter cards, but you can also make homebrew player cards with it! This is possible due to GeckoTH’s high quality templates. Many thanks to him! Also thx to Rhuarc, who notified me about Gecko’s work in the first place ;-) And also to Svenn, for providing a better download option than 4shared!
To install it, first download Strange Eons for free here: http://cgjennings.ca/eons/#Download
Then, double-click the LotR.seext file, and then it gets installed (or updated). Restart Strange Eons. Afterwards, select a card you want to create, e.g. an ally card:
Then, a new ally card will be created. Jump to the “Ally” tab to experiment with its properties, and change e.g. its sphere from Leadership to Tactics:
Or change its card text. Don’t miss the resource icons new in this version, accessible via the <rta>, <rsp>, <rlo> and <rle> replacement tags. You can see all possible tags in the lower left of the upper picture.
To insert your own card image, go to the “Portrait” tab and select an image to load.
To create a pack of cards with several copies of a card, first create all of cards (only single instances) and save them via File -> Save As. Then, create a card deck in SE:
Then, read and delete the yellow instruction plate, and click on Components - Add Cards to load your cards:
Drag as many copies of the cards you want to the sheet:
Then, save, print, or export to PDF or image files your homebrew cards!
If you’re wondering whether you should use this plug-in or Gecko’s templates, here a list of what my plug-in can do:
- The plug-in provides a quick and easy way for creating homebrew cards, without GIMP or Photoshop or similar programs.
- You can easily create decks with multiple copies of a created card.
- If you need any changes/errata in card text etc., it can be done very fast, just change the card file, save it, reload your deck file again, and then every copy automatically has the new card text.
But of course there are some restrictions/limitations:
- There are no scans of portraits/texts of cards FFG published. The plug-in is designed for creating custom cards by fans and for fans; you aren’t able to copy the game with it. Next to that, any commercial use of the plug-in is prohibited, of course.
- The region for e.g. the Artist’s name is fixed; you can’t change it or other regions on a card-by-card basis.
- The plug-in doesn’t support color gradients for fonts.
- You can’t re-arrange the general outfit of the card or add other fancy stuff for which I didn’t provide an option (e.g. two-sphered heroes).
If any of the latter 3 points are of importance for you, you’re better of creating your homebrew cards with Gecko’s templates directly. (Or perhaps you can use my plug-in for quickly testing game balance etc., and when you’re satisfied with the textual content, you can use Gecko’s templates to create the final version of the cards.) His templates can be found on BGG, e.g. here: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70314/hero-card-template-300dpi-psd. But if you’re looking for an easy and fast way to have your ideas for card creation realized, my plug-in could be of use for you.
Supported languages are English and German at the moment. Other languages are generally possible, if someone is willing to do the translation.
So then, happy card-creating!