Question re: Martial Art bonus...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

Do the bonuses gained by a martial art[s] to Attack/Defense count towards +50 Innate bonus limit?

My Play-By-Post Forums -- The Storm Watch

#2 Brand

Brand

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

Maelstrom said:

Do the bonuses gained by a martial art[s] to Attack/Defense count towards +50 Innate bonus limit?

Yes.  Page 58 of the rulebook under 'Combining Martial Arts' says, "Regarding special bonuses to the Attack, Block, or Dodge abilities, these are added as innate bonuses for a character's class, and so the maximum limit, combined with those obtained through his profession, would be a +50."

#3 ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

There are only two exception:

1) Bonus derived from Kung Fu/Asakusen

2) If you have Dominus Exxet, the Martial Arts system is MUCH MORE interesting, since Base Martial Arts have three "mastery" levels (Base, Advanced, Supreme) and Arcane Martial Arts have two "mastery" levels (Base, Arcane). Now, Arcane Level Arcane Martial Arts grant a "Master Bonus" that DOES NOT count toward the +50 innate bonus limit, thus providing Tao's with some "extra income" of Attack/Defense.

Hope this was helpful.

I strongly reccomend Dominus Exxet (well, basically I strongly reccomend ALL expansions of this game...). It really has amazing stuff in it.

#4 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:49 AM

Yup, I have DE. I love the book.

And thank you all for the answers and quick responses.

My Play-By-Post Forums -- The Storm Watch

#5 Sabaki

Sabaki

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Elric of Melniboné said:

2) If you have Dominus Exxet, the Martial Arts system is MUCH MORE interesting, since Base Martial Arts have three "mastery" levels (Base, Advanced, Supreme) and Arcane Martial Arts have two "mastery" levels (Base, Arcane). Now, Arcane Level Arcane Martial Arts grant a "Master Bonus" that DOES NOT count toward the +50 innate bonus limit, thus providing Tao's with some "extra income" of Attack/Defense.

Hope this was helpful.

I strongly reccomend Dominus Exxet (well, basically I strongly reccomend ALL expansions of this game...). It really has amazing stuff in it.

Well, depends on how you look at it. The change in requirements for (what was available at 1st level) to help balance out the benefits of being a Tao, compared to say a Technician (already dubious). Depending on how you balance your build, it might take you 5 or 6 levels to be able to qualify for the Martial Knowledge bonuses that were a partial balance for the Tao. Your other option is to bank your starting DP for later. In any case, this immediately places you behind the power curve. Way behind it. So if you're a Tao, using this system basically mugs you for types of abilities that were meant to be part of a *Starting* character's build. Never mind the combat options suddenly not available. And the Supreme level benefits listed for the MA now will be picked up around level 13-15. If your game goes that long (as it takes 3-5 sessions per level minimum, this will be 39-75 sessions (most people do this in a year or two). This is of course being generous, based on the projected parameters for xp given out each session (which for a 5 hour session would be 15-20, when level can eventually take hundreds of xp. 50 xp bonus every  handfull of sessions aside)

This doesn't quite address the new time scale issues introduced by the book, for training times. Where before this was left up to GM discretion. Now you could be out for months or even years picking up a new technique or martial art. Especially if you had to wait until level 5-6 to get your advanced level.

This book's main benefit is for Technicians.

#6 Beadle

Beadle

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Elric of Melniboné said:

Sorry to necro this thread, but are you talking only about the floating, variable bonus of +10/+20/+40 (dependant on the level of the Martial Art)?

Or are you including the benefits that Base-Level Asakusen provides (i.e. pluses to Attack, Block, Dodge, Initiative and Damage).

Because when it comes to the latter, a friend and I have been a bit unsure either way.  Base Asakusen specifically says  "Bonus: None", and lists those pluses in the Advantages section, so we've never been entirely certain whether they're counted as part of the Class Bonus Limit or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#7 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:04 AM

I would say, the advantage of "Asakusen" doesn't count to the innate class boni, because: It would be written under "Bonus", if it would fall under this rule. It is similar to "Kung Fu" in this case.

So long,

#8 Beadle

Beadle

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

Thanks.  That was kind of my instinct as well.

Which means, assuming you have enough slots for MA (based on amount of Attack and Defend), it's a pretty ridiculously useful MA.

If you're a Tao, and you've already got Kung Fu (Advanced), you're talking about 20DP for 40DP's worth of Attack and Defend pluses, as well as increased damage and increased initiative.  Sounds good to me.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS