Advice on creating expansion needed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bhu

Bhu

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

I'm thinking of making a full expansion via Strange Eons.  I was wondering how many of you have done it, and what advice you might have

#2 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:56 AM

Like any project you need a theme and a goal. What is your theme? New content? Antarctica? A map of the Outer Worlds? How will you accomplish this task? If it's new content just create a few investigator cards and put them up here for review. If it's a new board, you need to start thinking - why will the investigator visit Antarctica? What's in it for them? Or, to put it another way what happens if they ignore it? If it's a new mechanic like Exhibit Items or the Cult of the Thousand, you need to come up with ways for players to interact with it. The Cult fails because players have relatively few oportunities to join it and the benefits don't really outweigh the risks, whereas the Revised Version of Curse of the Dark Pharaoh has resolved the problem of acquiring Exhibit Items and the risk-reward ratio is suitably attractive enough for players to risk the encounters.

Remember, also, that the more you create, the more other people have to print out and stick together. Thankfully, Arkham Horror is modular, so some material can be skipped - If I like your expansion but don't like your AO I won't bother printing out the AO. Nonetheless, be wary of giving your taregt audience too much to do. Time is valuable. I may be happy to spend an hour or two piecing together a new expansion, I'm not sure I'd want to spend more than that, so look for ways to keep the content down.

When I created the Lovecraft Country Horror (see sig - I'm working on v2 presently), I shipped the encounter cards out to a word document based on a deck of cards. This immediately enabled me to have 52 encounters - more than enough to add the necessary atmosphere and weave subplots through the encounters - yet all my target audience only needed to print out the Word Document. No messy afternoons wasted with scissor and pritt stick.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#3 Bhu

Bhu

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

Sadly the three options I'm thinking of would be extensive.

The first idea is a Cultist version of AH, which wouldn't require a new board, but whch would require me to redo almost all the cards in the game since instead of trying to prevent the AO awakening you'd be trying to wake him up.

The second idea is a Dreamlands expansion, which would require a new board.

The third idea is a comic version of AH based off the Unspeakable Vault, which wouldn't require a new board, but would still require a lot of other cards.

#4 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

Don't be discouraged, just be aware that the more content you make, the more work you are asking of your (potential) audience. If your product is strong enough, people will still try it.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#5 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

Bhu said:

Sadly the three options I'm thinking of would be extensive.

The first idea is a Cultist version of AH, which wouldn't require a new board, but whch would require me to redo almost all the cards in the game since instead of trying to prevent the AO awakening you'd be trying to wake him up.

The second idea is a Dreamlands expansion, which would require a new board.

The third idea is a comic version of AH based off the Unspeakable Vault, which wouldn't require a new board, but would still require a lot of other cards.

Actually...  A cultist version of AH would be pretty cool (by which I mean to say, I would consider playing it if I didn't have to print out cards and if it were balanced or at least interesting)...  If you had one of the investigators playing a cultist, and having maybe six encounters (or more if you'd like) determined by rolling a die, and listed on sheets of paper.  And of course, you'd have to redesign combat rules for him or set out an alternate victory path.  That'd be rather interesting if you did it well...

#6 Bhu

Bhu

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Avi_dreader said:

Actually...  A cultist version of AH would be pretty cool (by which I mean to say, I would consider playing it if I didn't have to print out cards and if it were balanced or at least interesting)...  If you had one of the investigators playing a cultist, and having maybe six encounters (or more if you'd like) determined by rolling a die, and listed on sheets of paper.  And of course, you'd have to redesign combat rules for him or set out an alternate victory path.  That'd be rather interesting if you did it well...

Unfortunately my idea was more along the line of everyone playing a cultist trying to wake the AO up as opposed to keeping it imprisoned.  I listed some initial thoughts in my other thread.  SInce it's had no replies I'm assuming there's not many takers...

#7 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

Bhu said:

Avi_dreader said:

Unfortunately my idea was more along the line of everyone playing a cultist trying to wake the AO up as opposed to keeping it imprisoned.  I listed some initial thoughts in my other thread.  SInce it's had no replies I'm assuming there's not many takers...

That sounds like quite a good idea for the RPers :') but I'm more of a strategy man (I better go look for that thread).

#8 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

Grammar and proofreading! And RE-WRITES!

I haven't done an expansion of my own (yet) but I've done my share of creative writing. I've seen otherwise excellent fan-creations marred by poor sentence structure. Now that I've started dabbling in Strange Eons I see just how hard it really is to craft those little snippets of text on the various encounter cards. You don't get pages upon pages to convey something- you get only a sentence or two.

Here's a deliberately bad example I just crapped out- how could the following Encounter text be improved?

"A table sits in the middle of the oddly-angled, old-looking room. It's big and dusty. A book sits on the table- it seems to reach out at you, mouldered and dusty, and you take it, feeling like someone's watching from behind you but there's no one there. Picking it up, you then read it, shakily; pass a LORE -1(2) check to gain a Spell from the Spell deck of 2 Sanity cost or fewer."

I haven't run across anything quite this bad yet....

If your original text reads like the script to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, you may wanna re-write it a few times. You should re-write everything at least once to make it more concise; sometimes you have to sacrifice some really clever or colorful phrase, no matter how fond you are of it.

#9 Bhu

Bhu

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

Cards for some of the expansions will be simple i expect.  Especially if i do the comedy one

"A cultist leaps from the train and begins happily beating you to death with a rubber pig.  Lose 1 Stamina."

#10 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:33 AM

Fake Ghost Pirate said:

Here's a deliberately bad example I just crapped out- how could the following Encounter text be improved?

"A table sits in the middle of the oddly-angled, old-looking room. It's big and dusty. A book sits on the table- it seems to reach out at you, mouldered and dusty, and you take it, feeling like someone's watching from behind you but there's no one there. Picking it up, you then read it, shakily; pass a LORE -1(2) check to gain a Spell from the Spell deck of 2 Sanity cost or fewer."

Although the cultist's diary was apparently unguarded you cannot help repress a shudder as you flick through the worn pages. Make a Lore (-1) [2] check. If you pass, you may search the spell deck and take a spell with a Sanity cost of 2 or less.

#11 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:20 AM

Bhu said:

Cards for some of the expansions will be simple i expect.  Especially if i do the comedy one

"A cultist leaps from the train and begins happily beating you to death with a rubber pig.  Lose 1 Stamina."

A cultists leaps from the train and squeals with glee as he begins beating you to death with a rubber pig.  Lose 1 stamina, but the amusing violence restores your spirits, gain 1 sanity.

#12 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:27 AM

Avi_dreader said:

A cultists leaps from the train and squeals with glee as he begins beating you to death with a rubber pig.  Lose 1 stamina, but the amusing violence restores your spirits, gain 1 sanity.

lovable ::going to buy half a dozen of rubber pigs::

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS