Photo

What Characters and Allies and enemies do you want to see in the game?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

So aside from the obvious what characters and allies and enemies from the movies, books, comics, rpg's, video games, toys, ect would you like to see and in what card type? Do you want Chewbacca as an ally or as a character card? Do you want allies like Rogue Squadron commander or actual names like Wedge Antilles Rogue Squadron commander. (I really hate the LOTR allies like wandering took and keen eyed took, id much rather have merry and pippin lol)

So yeah what do u guys want, ill put what i want later. :P

#2 kevmann

kevmann

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

I would really love to see stuff from the original Thrawn trilogy of EU books. I am sure the first couple of years will be spend on the original movie trilogy, but I think the EU content is perfect for a game like this.

#3 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

The Thrawn trilogy is at the top of my list as well, honestly i want as many EU characters we can get both within the classic trilogy era AND the new republic era. I think judging from how Lord of the Rings LCG takes its characters and allies and enemies from the whole lore of the books that we will get to see EU stuff. By using the EU there is really no limit to the amount of scenarios and characters ect that they can provide us. To me it doesnt make sense to just limit the game to only movie characters and only from the classic trilogy. I mean theres plenty there and it will be awesome to see the stuff from the movies. But it will also be great to go beyond and really enrich our decks.

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

I've been thinking about this question on and off since this thread was created. I totally agree that Thrawn, Pellaeon, Noghri and other Zahn characters are definite must-haves.

Another character I just thought of this morning is Kyle Katarn, and I'm not talking about the Jedi Knight. Before his Force-wielding days, Kyle was an expert saboteur and I think he'd make a great addition to this game because the mechanic is centered around completing discrete missions against the empire. My question would be what type of deck to put him in. Part of me thinks he'd be good in Rogue because he really is a freelancer at first. But when it comes down to it, his espionage and intelligence-gathering abilities should really put him in the Operations decks.

EDIT: In response to your comment about card types, I think there is so much SW lore out there that it's a shame to use characters like Kyle Katarn on cards and call them generic names like "Saboteur." I think they should try to fit in unique characters as much as possible, and where unique characters are unwarranted, the artwork should depict a generic character and not a specific one.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

Katarn has always been one of my favs too, also loved Dash Rendar and my fav non main was Corran Horn. Katarn is great cuz hen can bring his enemies roster in so we can get to see Jerec and his Dark Jedi and Sith Spawn. Kir Kanos and Carnor jax from the crimson empire would also be cool and as ive been currently reading through the X-wing Rogue Squadron books and graphic novels id love to see the rouges and Baran Fel in the game as well.

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

Oooh, Dash is a good choice too. I'm really interested in the Rogue decks and it'd be cool to have him in there. Speaking of Corran Horn, I'd love to see Mirax show up, or her father, Booster Terrik , especially with the Errant Venture -- nothing beats a red Star Destroyer! Well, maybe some things do, but a red Star Destroyer on a Rebel team would be pretty awesome!

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

well if we want alliance star destroyers then an eventual dark empire set right after the Thrawn Trilogy sets would be great. We would get the Emancipator and the Liberator, and lets not forget the Super Star Destroyer Lusankya. But i dont forsee the Lusankya on player side for a very long time.

#8 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to having cards based on characters from books.  But for me, nothing will ever compare with the original movie trilogy.  That's all I really want.  I want original characters, ships, locations, etc. and then the rest can be nameless and generic for me, like nameless wookies, nameless stormtroopers, nameless droids, etc.  

But whatever happens, I'm sure this game will be awesome.  I have been impressed with how FFG has been able to get so much game content for LOTR from simple passages in the book.  The entire Carrock expansion is about a paragraph's worth of writing.  So I imagine the same will happen with this game: places and people that are named but not really seen will be a part of the game.  

#9 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

I hope they do. From the demo footage it looks like the first mission is getting the DSI plans to the rebellion, now i saw a han solo card and Admiral Ackbar card, Han didnt join the rebellion till heck after Yavin and closer to Hoth. But Han did hook up with the rebels shortly after, so i guess thats why hes here, but I would really really like to see an early Kyle Katarn as he was the one who stole the DSI plans.

But it seems like they r tryng to throw a bunch of big name movie characters into the game early, like Ackbar, if u go by darkhorse then Ackbar didnt join till after Hoth, if you go by the newer Force Unleashed stuff then he was already a reb by FU II.

Still it was an odd choice to have Ackbar instead of Jan Ors or even Crix Madine.

#10 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:06 AM

yagyu said:

But it seems like they r tryng to throw a bunch of big name movie characters into the game early, like Ackbar, if u go by darkhorse then Ackbar didnt join till after Hoth, if you go by the newer Force Unleashed stuff then he was already a reb by FU II.

Still it was an odd choice to have Ackbar instead of Jan Ors or even Crix Madine.

Yeah, timeline-wise it is kind of a weird choice, but it really makes sense for a starter set. I think they need to include as many movie characters as they can to attract/please a broader audience. I'm sure we'll see Crix eventually, but Ackbar's "It's a trap!" is pretty iconic so I can see why he may be popular enough to include in a starter set. I'm not gonna be too strict on the timeline with this game. If I want continuity, I'll read the novels and comics. For a game, I'd rather have unique combinations that could never have happened and see what would have happened.

--Count Dooku

#11 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

yaeah i can understand too, but like i said it would still be awesome to see other big name characters, like Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar, Xizor and Jerec, i mean Dark Forces wold make an awesome couple of force packs.

Dark Forces Force pack 1

Destroy Dark Trooper production facility

main character Kyle Katarn

enemy theme deck

Dark troopers phase 1

Dark troopers phase 2

Dark troopers phase 3

General Moc

Ally Jan Ors or the droid he had.

Dark Forces Force pack 2

Valley of the Jedi

Main character Kyle Katarn Jedi student version

Enemy theme deck

Jerec

Sariss

Bok

Gorc and Pic

Yun

Maw

8t88

Rahm Kota as an alley or Morgan Katarn or both.

Maybe they could include them in main pack line or maybe make them special like tournament decks or something. Still it would be very cool to play them in this awesome coop style card game.

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Totally! Those would be awesome packs to add! I'd buy them right away. Dark Forces was an excellent series. I hope they do include those characters eventually.

--Count Dooku

#13 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Okay, I've been thinking about Dark Forces now, and one of the parts that left the biggest impression on me was the dianoga sewers and that made me realize that dianogas would make awesome Imperial deck characters. They'd be especially nice since I think there will be a lot of stormtroopers, so creatures will be good to mix it up.

On that note, Wampas in the Hoth packs and Mynocks that reduce the resources that ships can generate would also be neat additions.

--Count Dooku

#14 yagyu

yagyu

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:45 AM

Im positive that everything we saw in the movies, dianogas, wampas, mynocks, Sarlacc, and even Wamp Rats and Jawas will all be in the game. What im basically saying in this thread is what characters and Ships, creatures ect, NOT seen in the movies would we like to have in the game.

My answer to that of course is anything and everything we have seen in games, books, ect lol. Ultimately im sure ill love whatever they put out, but hey were fans we can at least let em know what we wanna see lol.

#15 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

Of course I want Chewbacca and Lando, and I hope they aren't one per set, so I'd need to buy three core sets to have enough copies so that I can be happy. I would also appreciate it if we can have a version of Chewie and Lando for each of the four different Factions/Spheres/Colors, whatever they are called. 

I'm also partial to BoShek, my favorite unnamed extra in the whole trilogy. Runner up: Cliff Claven from Cheers, but he might have been a named extra. 

I might also like Ewoks. Scoff if you must, but their Anti-Mech defense is the finest I have ever seen. Can you take out two AT-ST walkers using only wood and rope? Neither can I. 

#16 TheRomance

TheRomance

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Mara.  Jade.

#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

I'd love to get all the Hoth Rebels, General Riekkan and Bren Derlin and all, but I think that may be likeliest in a deluxe expansion, a Battle of Hoth bonanza style thing. Getting to use tauntauns instead of the usual tech, and having to avoid the odd wampa or two. Maybe the preceding cycle of Force Packs could involve some sort of theme for scouting for bases and being attacked by the Empire as they do.

I think it's going to be difficult for this game to do what Lord of the Rings does, using throwaway lines and half-mentioned characters to form the basis for thematic storylines, as this is exactly the sort of this Star Wars has been built on since the late 80s when West End Games had the licence. Literally everyone in the Mos Eisley Cantina, or any other location in the original three films, has a fully-realised back story that is as good as canon now, after all. I'd like to see FFG taking a leaf from WEG's book, though, and creating their own locations in which to adventure. Or even if they start by using established locations and just throwing their own characters in. Sort of the Tapani Sector, or the Kathol Sector, of the modern Star Wars age.

I would love them to switch out the Imperial encounter deck in one expansion for a Jabba's Palace themed one. Or something similar. Let us take a swing at the big slug! Exactly how they're going to work the Fringe faction convincingly into this game is really a big concern of mine...

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#18 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

All the fringe characters will be in their respective places depending on the timeline i would have thought. To class them as a faction is wrong as they do not have one big organisation.

It should also be pointed out that star wars video games do not count as canon according to george lucas. Im not sure if the novels based in the video games do or not. I did watch a video from the force unleashed makers saying they were really limited in what they could do, and any new thing they wanted to add had to be approved by george, which meant anything they wanted to do original took a long time. I can see it being even longer for board game makers as there isnt as much money flying around. From what has been announced it also looks like the license is only for original trilogy stuff.

IF they do expand and have other chararcters Kyle Katarn would be pretty cool, but Mara Jade would have been imperial at this point. Also rogue squadron.

#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

You bring up a good point, Ironman. I do hope video game characters are free game. WotC was able to use them for their SW Miniatures line. I wonder if the licenses are different in that regard. Also, Hasbro seems to have no trouble making toys of video game characters (e.g. Bastila Shan, Darth Nihilus, Darth Malak, Darth Revan, Kyle Katarn, Republic Commandos). 

Spalanzani, that's something I've been thinking about, too. "The bounty hunter we ran into at Ord Mantell changed my mind," seems like the perfect kind of reference for FFG to run with, based on how they're doing LotR, but with the new video game, players will get intimately familiar with Ord Mantell, so even if video games weren't considered canon, as mentioned above, it would be strange for FFG to ignore it since I'm betting a lot of the SW:TCG players will be familiar with SW:TOR as well. At least in this case there is a large time gap for things to change, so FFG wouldn't be too constrained.

--Count Dooku

#20 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

Oh, I didn't mean using the Fringe as a cohesive faction, more like just having the presence of some fringers. I think I was lost in a reverie over the SW minis line from WotC! Something like Jabba's organisation, or Black Sun, would be easier to produce as factions, though. Did someone mention Xizor earlier in this thread? Well anyway. I suppose it would be difficult, of course, to produce some characters because they play both sides against each other. Karrde, for instance, assisted the Empire when it suited him but ultimately threw more towards the Rebels/New Republic. But at the time of the original trilogy, Karrde would only have been a navigator on Car'das' ship, or whatever he was, so not exactly the most interesting character to go to the trouble of producing a card for. But you never know!

I suppose it could be the same reason why we have yet to see a Saruman card as the third Istari in the LotR game. Now, I don't know nearly as much about LotR as I do about SW, but wasn't he good during the timeline the game is meant to be set within? So it'd likely confuse a lot of folks who only really know of LotR from the films. Having Jabba and his henchmen as a definite villain of the encounter deck could work, I think, as a break from the monotony that could creep in from having constant Rebels vs Imperials games, also the official announcement made some mention of being pursued by the Empire and Bounty Hunters, so I'd expect at least someone like Boba Fett to pop up in the encounter deck, most sensibly as some sort of neutral villain. Which could perhaps grow into a Bounty Hunter subtheme over time. Maybe.

It'd definitely fit in with the line of "the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell", yeah! I'm sure there have been at least three separate run-ins with bounty hunters on Ord Mantell, but the specific one Han is meant to have referenced turned up in the Marvel series, his name escapes me but I'm sure it begins with a S. Skorr, I want to say, but that was one of Dooku's dark acolytes, I think.

I digress :)

Aren't video games classed as "c-canon", whereas anything that George creates directly is "g-canon", or something? I'm sure the games, like the novel and comics, are recognised as a specific history of the universe, even given their more fluid approach to continuity. Such as, "officially, Revan is a man, and the Exile is a woman" etc.

I'd like to hope that they do include guys from the EU in the game, both Imperials and Rebels alike (with some neutral fringers too, of course!) Mara Jade would have to be Imperial of course. I'd like to see that Grand Moff Trachta from the Empire series, he was a character with so much interest going for him. I hope we get to see Isard and the ISB, a whole series of cards that can specifically target the Operations strategy or something. Baron Fel could be difficult because of his shifting loyalty, though I suppose he was Imperial during this specific timeframe, so him and his 181st would be nice. Tycho Celchu, Winter, Garm bel Iblis... Basically, I want to see everyone, I guess!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS