Photo

Maze Rules (using a customized deck of cards)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cogollo

cogollo

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

I am finishing my preparations for the Final Sanction scenario (you can see my post relating to that in the Gamemasters section) and I saw a couple of opportunities there (GMs will know which) to develop an idea that I had some months ago.

I wanted to create a deck of cards to simulate sewers, tunnels, getting lost in deep forest, etc. Then I saw and bought the "Chase Cards" deck sold by Paizo, and was inspired by the ideas there to create a deck.

The problem here is that I wanted to leave it as general as possible (because I want to use the decks in the games my friends and I run for Deathwatch, Warhammer 3rd, Pathfinder and D&D 4th).

I used Strange Eons to create the cards. You can find this incredible program here: cgjennings.ca/eons/index.html

So as to avoid clutter, I'll post the rules and links to my deck in a reply to this post.

Hur-Nir ran to the aid of the beaten man, recovering in the process a handful of pennies the thugs had let fall in the man's boots during their hasty retreat. - from Nulner Blues campaign

#2 cogollo

cogollo

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

(I wrote these rules with Deathwatch in mind. All RPGs have similar concepts, so substitute as appropriate if you want to use them in other RPG systems.)

Maze Rules

Mazes represent good opportunities for roleplaying, but are usually difficult to describe and may become boring. A maze in these house rules can mean almost anything: sewers, deep forest, tunnels in the ground, labyrinthine streets, deep canyons, etc.

Using mazes makes sense if there is some consequence due to the amount of time the players need to cross the maze, or if you want to create the feeling of getting lost on your players. On top of the above, the players should not be able to easily track the way they are choosing, usually because they are in a hurry or do not have the materials needed to keep track of their movements.

Otherwise, it is best to simply describe the important encounters in the maze and avoid getting into much detail.

Building the Maze
To represent a maze, use the maze cards to build two decks, an Exploration and an Encounter deck (choose which cards you'll use and the proportion depending on the maze you want to build). Build also an Exploration Track (players of Warhammer 3rd know exactly what I mean here) representing how close the players are to the exit of the maze. Decide how many advances the players need to complete and cross the maze.

The exploration of the map begins always with a Regular Tunnel, Branch, Cave/Room or Crossing card. This will be the starting card.

Finally, decide on a time unit for the maze (this could range from minutes to days).

Navigating the Maze
After solving a possible encounter in the starting card, the players start moving into the maze by drawing one Exploration card.

Most exploration cards have two important sentences:
• Time passes. This represents that the players spend time exploring the maze.
• Advance (or move back) the Exploration Counter. The players are getting closer to the exit of the maze or somehow got a bit lost. Adjust the Exploration Counter 1 space in the appropriate direction.

At any point, the players may only take a look at the present card and the previous one. If they feel it is important to remember their choices, they may pass a Group Challenging (+0) Intelligence or Navigation Test to remember the exit they took in a certain crossing, or cards farther away than the immediately preceding one (they'll remember their actions in 1 extra card if they are successful and 1 extra card per degree of success).

Keeping Track
It is a good idea for the GM to keep track of the maze (specially of the exits they have been taking) by using graph paper... but do not show the players your notes or you will break the suspension of disbelief!

Maze Deck
Follow the link to find the cards I have created using Strange Eons. Feel free to change or create new ones as you see fit. If you create new cards, I would be very grateful if you can share them, as that will increase the possibilities.

www.4shared.com/file/gVz2Bl3Q/Maze_Cards.html

Examples
You'll be able to find an example of the deck and these rules in my post about the Introductory Campaign Arc using Final Sanction here: www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

At the moment those documents are not finished yet, but I'm very close (I'm working now in the two last encounters of Final Sanction, both of them will use my Maze house rules). I'll edit this out when I publish the final version of the preparations.

Hur-Nir ran to the aid of the beaten man, recovering in the process a handful of pennies the thugs had let fall in the man's boots during their hasty retreat. - from Nulner Blues campaign

#3 cogollo

cogollo

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

I only wanted to inform people that I have published a couple of examples for using the Maze rules in the Final Sanction scenario.

If you use them, please let me know how did it fare, specially if you create new cards.

Also, the way I plan on using the cards is printing them in paper a bit thicker than normal, then gluing them to old Magic cards (specially lands and Common card are ultra-cheap), then placing the cards in opaque sleeves to be able to easily shuffle them (this works quite well and I have used the trick a couple of times while designing small card games of my own).

#4 Jayven

Jayven

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

I just found this now via a thread over in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and VERY interested to see what the cards are like. The one issue I have is.. the file seems to be unobtainable now!

Any chance you'd be willing to email said files or is there somewhere else I can find them?

Thanks!

p.s. jayvenpup at gmail dot com.

"You are amusing in a 'what the hell is wrong with you' kind of way." - Jaheira, Baldur's Gate Series

Tabletop Gaming Collection @ Board Game Geek / Roleplaying Game Collection @ RPG Geek

#5 illathid

illathid

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Jayven said:

I just found this now via a thread over in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and VERY interested to see what the cards are like. The one issue I have is.. the file seems to be unobtainable now!

Any chance you'd be willing to email said files or is there somewhere else I can find them?

Thanks!

p.s. jayvenpup at gmail dot com.

I 2nd that!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS