Photo

Sooo.... Any Ideas on the next Small Box Expansion?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 The Sorcerer King

The Sorcerer King

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:32 AM

Perhaps it's a bit premature, but, as the topic states, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/desires on the next small box expansion. If FFG continues in its small, large, small, large pattern, we will see the new small expansion in a few months, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or desires for the next small box expansion.

I used to think that the small box expansions somehow tied in with the upcoming large box expansion (The Reaper-The Dungeon: we certainly died a lot in the dungeon; Frostmarch-The Highlands: both have a sort of snowy theme going on), and I had thought that the Sacred Pool was a direct tie in to the City expansion (Come on, a STABLES deck? That just screams THE CITY!), but we were graced with the better-than-expected Dragon expansion instead, so I have no clue what might come next.

Perhaps a fire or desert themed expansion, or a River-themed expansion that brings water creatures and new ways to cross the river.

More interesting, I think, is what new game mechanic might they add? The Reaper brought us the Reaper and the first Warlock Quest cards, the Frostmarch gave us far more streamlined quest cards and alternate ending cards, and the Sacred Pool gave us the Stables Deck and Neutral Alignment Cards. What new game mechanic do you expect/want to see in the new expansion?

Me, I just can't wait for the City Expansion- the small expansion is just to tide me over until then .

#2 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

A swamp-themed expansion (with the Toad King as a Reaper-style on-board character) would be amazing. 

Also, it would be nice to finally have a distinction between "light fate" and "dark fate".

I'm still at a complete loss as to why people seem to find the City Expansion so appealing.  As I remember from the 2nd Edition, it was a boring location that completely skewed the game.  I'd be quite happy if that corner was used for something completely different (maybe Talisman Island!) rather than simply rehashing the past.  

#3 guciomir

guciomir

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

There were some rumours already, about the goblin theme in the nearest small expansion. Don't know if this is true.

#4 The Sorcerer King

The Sorcerer King

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Triple "A" said:

A swamp-themed expansion (with the Toad King as a Reaper-style on-board character) would be amazing. 

Also, it would be nice to finally have a distinction between "light fate" and "dark fate".

I'm still at a complete loss as to why people seem to find the City Expansion so appealing.  As I remember from the 2nd Edition, it was a boring location that completely skewed the game.  I'd be quite happy if that corner was used for something completely different (maybe Talisman Island!) rather than simply rehashing the past.  

I wholeheartedly agree that a swampy expansion would be fantastic- perhaps more in the "Forest" expansion (could be a bit more bog-like this time). Especially if the go with a more spooky-feel, a swamp would fit right in.

And I'm sure I've seen a homebrew Toad King somewhere...

However, regarding the City, I have to emphatically disaree! It seems that every game (especially since the Highlands) you are saddled with piles of money and nothing to do with it all! The blacksmith and his arms are only so strong- once you have the armour and the axe there is nothing left to buy!

But the city! Here you can buy spells, forge stronger weapons, gamble, join guilds, travel to distant lands, and become champions of your cause- all under the watchful eye of the law, and the looming threat of jail should you put a toe out of line! The means to win the game can be bought and sold within the City's walls- for a price!

I have fond memories of the City in earlier editions. It was often the most popular deteur along the path to victory. Although you often didn't stay as long, nearly everyone visited the city at some point to unload their gold and glean what they could from the many locations the city had to offer.

I will admit, some features may have skewed the game a bit (merely donating a magic item could make you the Head of the Mage's Guild, and new titles would completely replace your original character in second edition!). But the flavour and potential of the City always made it my favourate place to visit.

Oh, and while a Talisman island would be AMAZING, it should replace the Timescape rather than the City. The City serves a vital role in the game- an unsafe safe haven, where the risks of the wilderness and battle are replaced with the ever-present danger of society- laws, crime, magic run amok, and, as always, many, many places to unload your piles of money!

Vive la Cité!

#5 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

What characters from 2nd haven't made their way into 4th? We have characters like the valkerie and instead of the chaos warrior we have a death knight but what have we not seen:

more non-human like orc, goblin, hobgoblin. pirate, all the asian type character, ninja, samurai, martial artist, the tribals the tribal warrior and witchdoctor. So perhaps a small expansion could include such characters like one that expands into a land like Mordor which includes more non-humans like orc, goblin, hobgoblin, bugbear, etc. call it Badlands or something.

basically a theme where the most of those un-added characters can be added. Anyone care to make a list of the characters not-yet added.

#6 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

double post please delete

#7 Foreshadow

Foreshadow

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Double post please delete

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:10 AM

Foreshadow said:

What characters from 2nd haven't made their way into 4th?

Characters that we don't have yet are:

•Barbarian,
•Centaur,
•Dark Elf/ Witch Elf
•Halfling
•Inquisitor
•Martial Artist
•Ninja
•Pilgrim
•Pirate
•Pit fighter (lost file
•Ranger
•Samurai
•Saracen
•Satyr
•Scout
•Soldier
•Spy
•Swordsman
•Witchdoctor
•Woodsman
•Wraith (lost file)
•Zulu

#9 vandimar77

vandimar77

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

An expansion with more purchase cards and some places where you can buy them. I mean the biggest problem that I have with Talisman at the moment - and one of the main reasons that my wife prefers Runebound - is that there is very little to do with the vast quantities of gold you can accrue. Of course a city expansion should also fix that...

#10 yyami

yyami

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

Triple "A" said:

I agree, I never really liked the old city expansion and wont miss it at all if we manage to avoid it. I'm really enjoying what FFG have done so far though. My chances to play are quite rare these days, so since last playing the game I have added the sacred pool + the dragon expansions. May get to play next week.

#11 rfh0

rfh0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

Ooooooh a Toad King or Swamp expansion would be awesome!!! If they could some how connect why or how characters can be turned into Toads that would be cool. Talisman is truly the Best Board Game ever made!!!

#12 rfh0

rfh0

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

I agree. Currently I pull characters from all of the expansions old and new that  I have for any edition that I play. I am Begging Fantasy Flight to re-release all of the characters from the older expansions to a fresh take on all of the characters and to have all of the characters in the same Fantasy Flight format!

This would be Awesome!!!!

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

I like to see a undead expansion.

zombies, skeletons and many more.

I also like to see the pandora's box ending

I am still missing the taxation, sphinx and halloween card.

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

rfh0 said:

Ooooooh a Toad King or Swamp expansion would be awesome!!! If they could some how connect why or how characters can be turned into Toads that would be cool. Talisman is truly the Best Board Game ever made!!!

That would be very cool.

Swamp cards that restrict your movement with -1 to -3 etc

If FFG made a good theme of it, then it can be very interesting

But they can also include it in a forest expansion.

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

Just sum up some idea's..

Swamp expansion

Includes:

- Curse tokens (if you get a curse token, you cannot cast spells on other characters)

- Swamp place cards ( marsh)(restrict your movement with -1, 2  etc or  losing 1 life, or weapon, follower etc

- More toadings. ( the land of the toad)

- Light/ Dark fate token rule?

- More witches or hags who do nasty things.

- A toad king enemy

- Undead?

I think it should have a dark theme in it...

Feel free to add more

#16 rad500

rad500

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:57 AM

Hello!

I've been playing "Talisman" polish version ("Magia i Miecz") long time ago but I remember it very well.

What if I can suggest some map or game cards?

I've developed one day "The Village" with game cards and now would like to make some another cool map.

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Now that we have dragon Rage tokens, maybe it's time for......

You have change into a slimy toad

#18 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Actually, a Curse Deck would be quite nifty.

Not sure how it would work, but some event makes you draw a card from the Curse Deck, with negative results.

Could offset some of the good stuff that's collected

Some quick ideas, but could have a lot of variety:

- must discard any armor

- limit number of followers

- can't have any spells

- reduce movement ability

- reduce number of items that can be carried

To remove the curse, you must visit some place or complete some task (similar to Warlock's quests).

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

Triple "A" said:

Because we need  a location to spend our gold.

I have never collect so many gold as in our previous game. (20 gold pieces!

I have never like that city board from 2th edition.

But third edition city keeps the same L shaped board as the other corners.

Release the city!

But we will get first a small expansion mmm what would it be..

#20 lost.prophet

lost.prophet

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

Is there anyone that can spoil us something? Spy boy? ...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS