Almost bought it...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

Yesterday at lunch I ventured at my (F)LGS (not so friendly anymore since the best dude working there just left) and checked in their new stuff that came in a couple days ago.  I checked on the shelves and almost bought CitOW, Civ, Olympos and many other games worth near 500 bucks...so I slapped myself in the face and dropped all the boxes.

So...I saw from the corner of an eye I have a box of Dust Tactics Revised Core Set...price tag in the lines of "it's kind of good money but looks like it's worth it".

I never played the original DT ever, the cool dude that left talked about it and I almost dropped the 100 dalla bills it worth but resisted.

So, for someone who never played the original DT but played some Tannhäuser (sorry for mentioning it, it's the closest I played) and got bored from the awefully long time it took to set up and the ridiculusly short time playing it, would it be worth it buyinf the Revised Core Set?  What I mean by worth it is that if I only buy this Core Set and only play with it for some time, will I get bored after a couple of plays or I can hope to enjoy this game without the need to buy any expansions?

(Keep in mind that the word "need" in my last sentence is very important)

Thanks for your comments and peace to all that are humans.

#2 vengeance000

vengeance000

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

Well, in my opinion, you need quite a few things to make the game complex enough to be very enjoyable. While the revised set has some more unit diversity than the original, you still need command squads, snipers, and artillery to open up all the gameplay elements possible. And you'll want to get some terrain tiles if you want any map diversity.

If all you can go in for is the revised set, I doubt Dust will be for you. As a regular Tannhauser player, games of DT are shorter to set up, but also even shorter to play than Tann.

#3 vengeance000

vengeance000

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Gameplay is quite different from the hard to kill anyone Tannhauser. Soldiers and mechs die fast and furious here. Takes some getting used to after Tannhauser where everyone is repeatedly saved by command points, abilities, and shock rolls.

#4 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:16 AM

You don't need to buy anthing else but you will certainly want to :)

#5 arkangl

arkangl

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

I got 3 things to tell you.

1 the rulebook online as a pdf download it and read it you want the revised core set rules.

2 once you have read the rule you can try a proxy game with normal models you have and just get the cards on my blog twc-dust-tactics.blogspot.com

3 read my blog its got a ton of information you could like to know epsecially in the first postings of the blog way back in January.

#6 vengeance000

vengeance000

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:44 AM

Hey Ark, you do know your logo at the top says "The World Continues" and not "The War Continues", right? :-)

#7 Major Headcase

Major Headcase

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

If you are looking for a one-purchase way to have fun with Dust Tactics, and arent interested in expanding the game, then try to find a copy of the Original Core Box set, a lot of stores can still order them from distributers.

The first core set had more walkers and more infantry squads, though not as much variety in the squads as the new set, and gives more re-play options for your money. the older point system was crazy simple,the game play is dynamic and fun, and game set up takes just a couple of minutes. once you get tired of the official scenarios, there are some fan made ones you can get for free online- and free is an affordable way to expand a game!!

But why fight it? if you are anything like the rest of us mini-maniacs, once you have any models from DT, you'll want them ALL!!

#8 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

Major Headcase said:

If you are looking for a one-purchase way to have fun with Dust Tactics, and arent interested in expanding the game, then try to find a copy of the Original Core Box set, a lot of stores can still order them from distributers.

Agreed, if you only want to buy a single Dust box, search for the original Core Set. That contains a much more complete game, that can be enjoyed for ages without the necessity of adding anything else. The revised set has more variety, but considerably less units, and that I think limits your gameplay options. Plus I think the poster terrain map kinda limits your scenarios to either a bridge or a field with two buildings. The original's cardboard tiles don't tie you down so much.

#9 vengeance000

vengeance000

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

I actually disagree and think if you could only buy one thing, make it the new set. Each unit in it is much different from one another. There's more bang for your buck in terms of minis in the original set. But in terms of unit differentiation, in the first set all the squads feel the same. BBQ and Laser squads stand out for high damage potential, but the other four play pretty much the same.

More different armor types, and special abilities in the new set.

And while the terrain tiles might seem more modular, in the core set they might as well just be blank pieces. One side is all white for snow, and the other has random metal flooring. Not like they actually build to anything aside from a 9x9 blank canvas to put the blocker squares on. I'd prefer the buildings and bridge from the second set for playable maps.

#10 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

The other reason to buy the original core set is that it's going out of print.  The Revised set will be available for a long time coming, but it will soon be quite difficult to get the original core set.

#11 Airborne

Airborne

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

The second Dust set is a sound investment moneywise,  so is the first. They differ mostly in the following, set one contains two balanced main armys, set  two could be described as ``fast recon`` additions with cool new walkers and  great figures. Both games will give you good gaming alone or together. Yes,  once hooked on the line ,so as to speak, you will want more,``hey your`re only human`` Enjoy Dust  at the end of the day it will be your game,  your hard earned cash, Worth it ? Yes it was for me.``To all out there keep those barrels clean.``

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS