Clear coat--what to use

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Icey101

Icey101

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

I have always used spray on matte coating for years. Every once in a while I have issues with spider webbing and such but not a huge deal. My ally walker looks like he went through a flamethrower...paint is bubbled up bad. Not sure what the issue is. I have used the same spray and painting technique on all of my dust models (50 or so men) these are the first walkers. I paint acrylics, miniwax floor, then dry brush. I went looking for another paint on varnish...but had no idea what to buy, so I tried another brand of matte spray and it worked out even worse. What is every one else using for paint on varnish?

#2 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

Icey101 said:

I have always used spray on matte coating for years. Every once in a while I have issues with spider webbing and such but not a huge deal. My ally walker looks like he went through a flamethrower...paint is bubbled up bad. Not sure what the issue is. I have used the same spray and painting technique on all of my dust models (50 or so men) these are the first walkers. I paint acrylics, miniwax floor, then dry brush. I went looking for another paint on varnish...but had no idea what to buy, so I tried another brand of matte spray and it worked out even worse. What is every one else using for paint on varnish?

I paint on Minwas Tudor Satin polyshades onto my miniatures, and use Testor's Dullcote on it afterwards.  I do find some of the "spiderwebbing" sometimes appears on the bases for some reason, but never on the miniatures themselves.  I do always wait for at least 2 days before dullcoting.

If you can feel even the slightest bit of tack on the model, definitely do not dullcote it - it will give the spiderwebbing or bubbling or cracking effect.  For some reason I have found larger flat surfaces have more trouble with this, and I"m not sure why.  For instance, I gave my ammo crates a week to dry and they still had a bit of spider-webbing on them from the dullcote... It actually looks pretty good (looks like the wood has cracked a bit), but I wouldn't want the same effect on my walkers.

Overall though, Testor's dullcote has worked well for me.  I'd also recommend for the larger flatter surfaces of your walkers, to wipe the brush off on a paper towel and then brush off any excess varnish.  I find it sometimes pools on the flat surfaces and takes a long time to completely dry.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.  I haven't tried my walkers yet, but think I will soon.  We'll see how it goes.

#3 Icey101

Icey101

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

The miniature has dried for a few days...and the spider webbing is only on the large open areas...which makes it even worse. Using various brands of acrylic paints, just not sure whats causing it to react like this. I painted last night and thought it might be the drop in temp...so I tried it again today and exact same thing.

#4 Icey101

Icey101

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

The issue seems to be the Miniwax and big flat surfaces. The primer is still there, everything painted over it peels right off.  I guess I will need to use a different painting method for my vehicles.

#5 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

I use Army Painter Matte spray.  It work as well [IMO] as Testor's Dull Coat.

#6 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

Gobbo said:

I keep thinking about picking this stuff up because it's cheaper and easier to find in my area, but I keep finding mixed reviews online.  Some say it works just as well, others say it doesn't work nearly as well, and a lot of people say it gives more of a "dusty" look to the figures (which some people like and others do not.)

#7 Jb45

Jb45

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:14 AM

i use model master acryl flat and gloss.its in a bottle,water based,brush it on.

#8 Gimp

Gimp

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

I use Krylon spray matte sealer.  Tried it years ago, and have been quite happy with it, both for effectiveness and price.

The spider webbing does sound like a temperature difference issue, but the sealer you're using could be dying out the minwax, and the shrinkage from that would also cause spider webbing.  The problem could be minimal on small surfaces, but be exacerbated on large flat surfaces.

Waiting more time for the minwax to fully dry might solve the problem, but I don't know.  I've never liked the effect from minwax as much as other styles of washing and brushing, so I don't use it.

#9 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

+1 to krylon matte spray

i use 2 coats Krylon then another 2 coats of Testors dullcote

the biggest thing to consider when sealing is the humidity and temperature. Do not seal your models if the humidity is over about 60% they will haze up.

#10 Icey101

Icey101

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

I think the issue was the can was not shaken enough, set the timer and went nuts for a few minutes shaking it. And made sure to do very very light coats. Turned out fine this time around. I did paint end up priming it Krylon though. About 90% completed on this one.

#11 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Looks fantastic!

Yeah, for dullcote, especially the first time I use it, I shake it for about 5 minutes before applying it.  It's also important to apply it at the proper distance (25-30 cm away, or about a foot.)

Glad you got things working!  Just this morning I used Minwax polyurethene on my Hot Dog, and I'm hoping it will dullcote all right.  Good to hear that you got it working.

#12 Icey101

Icey101

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Finally got my decals from Dust Models in today. Finally done with this walker, time to finish up the rest.

#13 alien

alien

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Gobbo said:

I use the Army Painter Matte spray too but only as second coat, the first is a simple acrylic protector (a little gloss).

#14 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

A nice combination of overcoat is 2 layers Krylon Painters Touch in Gloss the 2 coats of either Testors or Hobby Master dull coat. Be sure to shake all cans well before applying and like said above be careful of the humidity. The Krylon gloss gives a tough base covering and then the dull coat brings the paints back to their original dull finish. This combo has played great for me as I have figures/vehicles many years old and they have never yet needed repainting due to wear. Good luck with your projects.

#15 Airborne

Airborne

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

I`m really new to Dust's figures medium,  Army Painter seems to work. Stay away from American Dura Clear Matte Varnish unless you know better. Eileen brought one back from a craft fare and it  turned my apes full gloss. After a good laugh,  I re inked then dry brushed.  Strange though,  got a lovely effect on their bellies, better than if I had tried to paint them.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS