Burning Bridges and duplicates

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thorin_81

thorin_81

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

Simple question: does Burning Bridges prevent unique cards to be saved with a duplicate?

Burning Bridges: Int Gambit. Players cannot trigger abilities on character, location and attachment cards in play.

I think yes, because duplicates give the card the triggered ability to save herself by discarding the dupe and the plot card prevents character, location and attachments triggered abilities

#2 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,645 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

thorin_81 said:

I think yes, because duplicates give the card the triggered ability to save herself by discarding the dupe and the plot card prevents character, location and attachments triggered abilities
The answer has traditionally been "no." The "on" text of Burning Bridges is interpreted as "printed on," so since dupes are NOT "printed" abilities, they are still good to go.

#3 thorin_81

thorin_81

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

ok, thanks. 

#4 jmccarthy

jmccarthy

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Revisiting Burning Bridges:  Players cannot trigger abilities on character, location, and attachment cards in play.

Three characters in play:

I am Baratheon.  I have a Robert Baratheon (Lord trait) in play, and Ser Parmen Crane ( Lord characters you control gain: "Response: Kneel 1 influence to save this character from being killed.")  Ser Parmen has a duplicate.

Opponent has Thoros of Myr (Brotherhood Renown. If you have no power on your House card, Thoros of Myr gains: "Response: Kneel Thoros of Myr and discard a power from a character you control to save a Brotherhood character from being killed.").

During the plot phase, opponent flips Burning Bridges, and I flip Valar Morgulis.

Who can be saved?

1. Ser Parmen, because he has a duplicate.

2. Robert, because he has gained a save ability not part of his own text.

3. The Mad Huntsman, using Thoros's ability, because Thoros has gained a save ability.

#5 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

All 3, because gained abilities (which include saves by dupes) have been ruled to be usable while Burning Bridges is revealed.

#6 snowfrost

snowfrost

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

Khudzlin said:

All 3, because gained abilities (which include saves by dupes) have been ruled to be usable while Burning Bridges is revealed.

But the email reply from ffg (Jan.9,2012):

Since it does not say "printed," Burning Bridges refers to all triggered abilities, gained abilities included. Gained abilities are still considered "on" the card, they are just not "printed" on the card.

#7 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,645 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

snowfrost said:

Since it does not say "printed," Burning Bridges refers to all triggered abilities, gained abilities included. Gained abilities are still considered "on" the card, they are just not "printed" on the card.

If so, that is a new ruling from FFG. All the other times they have ruled on that in the past, "on" was to be interpreted as "printed."

#8 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

snowfrost said:

Khudzlin said:

God. Why hold out for 10 months?

Does FFG not read these forums??? 

#9 livingEND

livingEND

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Honestly, what do you think?

#10 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

So, what is the official one??

On=printed?

#11 jmccarthy

jmccarthy

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

So, no official ruling / consensus?

Without receiving an official errata or clarification of ktom's opinion, I plan to keep using the last official ruling by ktom of:

Burning Bridges doesn't affect dupes, Burning Bridges doesn't affect gained text.

I don't understand how the AGOT community as a whole can be expected to fundamentally change how we play a plot based on someone receiving a personal email from an FFG employee.

#12 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

jmccarthy said:

I don't understand how the AGOT community as a whole can be expected to fundamentally change how we play a plot based on someone receiving a personal email from an FFG employee.

Well, it happens all the time. If somebody receives an answer from FFG, he posts it on the forums, and that answer is usually considered the valid interpretation until the question is addressed in the FAQ. It is customary, or at least preferred, to post the email exchange in its entirety, though, especially if it topples a longstanding ruling like in this case.

#13 Bolzano

Bolzano

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

I have asked Nate French for confirmation and as expected he has answered :

"I'm not sure how the contrary email was released, but "on" should mean "printed on." I made this same ruling at worlds, not even aware that a contrary rule was out there."

So, we can still use duplicates.

#14 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Bolzano said:

I have asked Nate French for confirmation and as expected he has answered :

"I'm not sure how the contrary email was released, but "on" should mean "printed on." I made this same ruling at worlds, not even aware that a contrary rule was out there."

So, we can still use duplicates.

Thank you very much for clearing that up.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS