Photo

Worth getting if you own and love Lord of the Rings BG?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maedhros1977

Maedhros1977

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

I own Lord of the Rings board game and love it.  Is The Hobbit board game worth getting?  Incomparison, at first glance it seems simplified.

#2 caradoc

caradoc

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

In reality the two games are next to nothing alike.  LotR is a co-op game, but The Hobbit is a semi co-op game only if one of the variants is played (that is - everybody loses if Smaug arrives at Lake Town) - either way there will still be one winner (unless Smaug hits Lake Town).

The Hobbit is a fun game - it's much more family weighted than LotR and gamers coming to it looking for something with a similar level of game play to LotR will probably be disappointed.  I like it, though I wouldn't play it when I feel like something weighty - it's a great little family style game that is easy to play, doesn't outstay it's welcome and has a fantastic theme.

Cheers,

Giles.

#3 LEGA

LEGA

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

Really nice game for family. Easy and fun. No need some great strategy and calculations. Game for rest. I very like it.

No one want to lose because of Smaug and everyone wants to win by jewels simultaneously. Very relax and fun.

#4 TheMetal1

TheMetal1

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

I just picked it up a couple of days ago and played last night - 3 player game. Similar to LOTR, with the need for required "X" to pass an adventure instead of moving along seperate board. Smaug moves when you can't complete quests as a group and you draw tiles for failing which causes loss in abilities and possibly a Smaug move. Similar to Sauron moving along the corruption line and drawing the tiles. Worth getting yes. A good way to intro new players to the mechanic. We leveled our stats fairly quick so recommend that you play with no starting level bonus to make it more challenging.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS