Fate Points?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Khensu

Khensu

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

do you have some house rules on how to get Fate Points back, or how to get more permanent points?

#2 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

I'm going to assume you mean Fate Points. In my games, players can choose to buy them with exp. 400x their current total, up to a maximum of their Willpower Bonus. Other than that, I tend to award them for completing endeavours in interesting ways I didn't anticipate or surviving an encounter that should have brutally murdered all of them, such as the time they fought a Mawloc with a harpoon gun and an air yacht. I tend to refresh their Fate Points every session, unless the game is halted in the middle of something between sessions.

#3 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

The book recommends renewing temporary Fate points per game session, which is measured every 4 hours or so. Whenever you award EXP you should renew temp Fate points.

For permanent I give out 1 for a written character backstory. I haven't given out any other permanent ones yet, no one has done something that warrants a gift such as that.

#4 Norticus Noctum

Norticus Noctum

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Larkin grate idea with the background it will make the palyers more into their characters. I have also given additional Fate Points to players that played the session with perfect rolls on session without failing any rolls. That's some achivment.

#5 Zarkov N

Zarkov N

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

I would give one for failing every roll in a session, as long as they made at least, say, five.  Poor blighter's going to need all the luck he can get!

Achieving a significant objective, like completing an Endeavour, that'd be worth one.  Or getting to the halfway point of a particularly big one (so two total).

It's a lot easier to give them than take them away unless you like your players throwing dice at you, so be stingy.  Make them special.  The fate points.  Also the players characters.

#6 Norticus Noctum

Norticus Noctum

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

You can give Fate points for ridiculous luck,  player playing Arch-Militant is grate example. I throw at him 17 grenades, at the same time, he survives. He's on planet, in the open, at the time of meteor storm he's unscratched, I put him in worst and most dangerous situations and he never is more than lightly wounded.

Here I creted something like luck that is eqivalent to all characteristic bonuses (except WS & BS) and that creates characters luck characteristic (My House Rule)

Anoter Example is the Void Master for the last 4 sessions when he mans the ship cannons he never misses that's why he has alreadt 5 Fate points from starting 3. The other he got for firing at maximal distance from plasma pistol in complete darkness at moving target. he got -45 modificator and hit the bastard for double Rightous Fury with insane level of critical.

#7 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:29 AM

I dish out fate points as a reward for completing a big adventure, something that takes about 5 or so sessions to acomplish.  My players make frequent use of burning fate points since they often get in tight situations and need the help. 

I think fate points represent that the character is in some way favored by the emperor and has a destiny set for them, fate points are like a measure of how much the emperor is looking out for them so give it to them when you feel they've done something that merits the emperors aproval.

#8 Red Bart

Red Bart

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

Errant said:

I'm going to assume you mean Fate Points. In my games, players can choose to buy them with exp. 400x their current total, up to a maximum of their Willpower Bonus.

I like this rule a lot. Keeps the fate points replenishable without making them free. Consider this rule stolen :)

#9 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

I almost NEVER give these away and it's simple, the universe is supposed to be grim and as such means players should eventually die. Fate points aren't meant to be something restored more often than they're lost and honestly if your players are smart they can be really damn hard to get rid of unless you through them in an encounter they have no chance of winning (which I don't like doing because when most of my players, not all but a few out of the seven I have, loose one they throw a hissy fit like you pulled some bull and it wasn't they're fault for making a bad decision or simply being unlucky).

That said when I do award them? If they complete something epic or if they're character was just played so well that it's something we'll remember when we're playing some other game years later. If a player can get beyond the "this is my character and **** everyone else I'm playing it like a game instead of a story" and instead reach the "I'm immersing this character fully in the story and make them take on some impossible odd for the good of the crew or some epic goal I set" then should they survive I give them a fate point. 

#10 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

I think I'm going to crib from the Burning Wheel games and whenever someone does something amazing enough to warrant a new Fate Point, we'll take a vote at the table between the players and see. Simple majority in that case.

#11 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Fate points should be refreshed at the beginning of every session (ie, they get back all those they have spent, but not burned). This can be altered if you don't think it is appropriate (say if you end in the middle of combat due to time constraints, or very little has been achieved).

Permenant points should be given out when you feel it is appropriate. Usually it should be limited to some signficant event in game, often at the conclusion of the adventure (not each individual session). Note, this is not the end of every adventure, just if they have achieved something very important. Also, don't necessarily give a fate point to each player at this point. Limit it to one or two players who contributed the most towards the achievement (but make sure rewards eventually are more equal among players).

Also, I would never let anyone have more than 5 fate points at one time. Past that they just become too disposable. The ideal point is probably about 2 or 3. 1 point and the player will likely hoard the point for the one vital "if I fail this I will die roll" and end up failing annoying rolls that don't kill them but just inconveniance the game. 2 means they will be careful with them, but will probably be willing to use at least one on an important but not life-threatening roll. 3 means they will be slightly more generous, but means they still have to think about what they spend them on.

Now, we had a rule while playing Deathwatch where if you had less than 2 Fate points at the end of an adventure (not session) you got one point back. This meant that players were only likely to die if they faced repeated player killing battles in an adventure (or were really unlucky), or repeatedly used the ability from Ascension where if you are killed you can burn a point and then stand back up with d5 wounds remaining (which we allowed in that game).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS