23 replies to this topic

#1 Mestre dos Magos

Mestre dos Magos

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

FFG, you are killing me!

Oh man, there goes my money another end of year hehe

Fantastic! Civilization is THE game screaming for an expansion, and here it is finally!

#2 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Will be REALLY interresting to see how they've handled the map building for 5 players... Pentagonal Donut World perhaps?

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#3 TemTemSefekh

TemTemSefekh

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

Surprised Great Britain is not included although nice to see India and Greece. So FFG, when will you add Great Britain? either under Victoria or Elizabeth. Cant really have a game about great civilisations and empires without the British now ;) Maybe under an Imperial expansion - i'd like to see Napoleonic France too.

#4 xarlstaunzund

xarlstaunzund

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

Fnoffen said:

Will be REALLY interresting to see how they've handled the map building for 5 players... Pentagonal Donut World perhaps?

This is one thing I'm hoping to see in one of the previews.

#5 Maarek

Maarek

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

I would expect to see rules before any preview is released.

#6 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

Then I must sadly inform you that your expectations have, imo, already been smashed since I would count the announcement itself as a sort of preview insofar that it gives a pre-view at some parts of the expansion.

#7 ballpark7

ballpark7

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

It seems to me that a Five (5) player expansion would be easy with a few additional tiles.  The Board would be something like this...

[X][_][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][X][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][_][X]

...where the X's indicate the starting locations for the Civilizations....  

SIX Player might look like this...

[X][_][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][_][X]

Seven Player...

[X][_][_][_][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][X][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][_][_][_][X]

And Eight Player...

[X][_][_][X][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][_][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][X][_][_][X]

...and So on...  Just making sure that at least 2 tiles are separating each of the initial civilizations...

#8 ballpark7

ballpark7

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Now, I know what the next protest will be... 

"Putting a player in the center of the board is putting them at a disadvantage",

...but I would counter with...  How is that any different that starting on the same continent with 4 other civilizations surrounding you in the Computer game?  SM's Civilization has been a challenge since it's beginning, and often times, it wasn't "fair" either.  Remember, in the BG you're usually playing against your friends and associates, and the game doesn't have to be about combat.  You can be a diplomat too...

#9 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

Maarek said:

I would expect to see rules before any preview is released.

FFG always do previews first, rules last.

#10 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:44 AM

ballpark7 said:

It seems to me that a Five (5) player expansion would be easy with a few additional tiles.  The Board would be something like this...

[X][_][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][X][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][_][X]

I would say it's extremely unlikely that the 5-player map would place one of the players in the centre surrounded by the other four.

#11 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Second that. Much more likely they've come up with a pentagonal map. They did come up with a triangular so why not?

#12 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

My attempt at a "donut"-world layout:

[x][_][_][x]
        [_][_][_][_][_]
      [_][_][o][o][_][_]
    [x][_][_][o][_][_][x]
          [_][_][_][_]
              [_][_]
                [x]

[x]= Starting tile
[_]= Regular random tile
[o]= Simply a hole in the map.

Maybe not absolutley beautiful but it might work...

#13 ballpark7

ballpark7

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

Bleached Lizard said:

ballpark7 said:

[X][_][_][_][X]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][X][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_]
[X][_][_][_][X]

I would say it's extremely unlikely that the 5-player map would place one of the players in the centre surrounded by the other four.

Did you even read my second post?

ballpark7 said:

"Putting a player in the center of the board is putting them at a disadvantage",

...but I would counter with... How is that any different that starting on the same continent with 4 other civilizations surrounding you in the Computer game? SM's Civilization has been a challenge since it's beginning, and often times, it wasn't "fair" either. Remember, in the BG you're usually playing against your friends and associates, and the game doesn't have to be about combat. You can be a diplomat too...

This says it all...   and the draw back with the "Donut World", although an interesting idea, would be the size of the Game Table needed for the playing area alone... 

#14 Drinkdrawers

Drinkdrawers

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

ballpark7 said:

...but I would counter with...  How is that any different that starting on the same continent with 4 other civilizations surrounding you in the Computer game?  SM's Civilization has been a challenge since it's beginning, and often times, it wasn't "fair" either.  Remember, in the BG you're usually playing against your friends and associates, and the game doesn't have to be about combat.  You can be a diplomat too...

I think this is a poor justification for starting one player in the middle of the board.

First of all, the differences between playing a board game with 5 people and a video game with 5 people are that you are in the same room instead of spread all over, and you are in that room for a set period of time. All of the conflict, decision making, and emotional investment are crammed into those two or three hours that you're all playing the game together. This means that disadvantages are perceived as more disadvantageous, players who are losing badly will complain more vocally, and if someone's not having much fun, it greatly affects everyone else's experience. Starting a player in the middle of the board could easily result in a feeling of hopelessness that would cause that player to have less fun, which would in turn cause everyone else to have less fun.

Second of all, just because the game doesn't *have* to be about combat doesn't mean it *won't* be. I guarantee you that in the groups I play with, if one player started in the middle of the board, we would all go after him. And he would have less fun because of it. Which sucks. Games shouldn't force that upon their players.

#15 Agusan

Agusan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

Is really 5 player, is true in the expasion?

#16 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

Agusan said:

Is really 5 player, is true in the expasion?

Quoting (and editing by adding bold type on the issue-important part) from the second paragraph (third if you count the quote from Captain James Cook) of the News article:

"With exciting new game options, new map tiles, and components for a fifth player, Fame and Fortune will deliver your civilization to remarkable new heights."

And to be honest, I don't think FFG would lie about something like that.

#17 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

ballpark7 said:

There are so many details that are different between the board game and the computer game that I for one don't really think that one can compare them that straight up.

Besides, FFG prides themselves about balancing their games. At least starting-position-wise. This, combined with the triangular world setup for three people, leads me to believe that there will be a pentagonal world. Donut or not.

#18 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

Just annoyed by the fact that the Forum tells me there are new posts in this thread when I've already read my own posts. Trying to fix by posting again...

#19 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Guess i wasn't too off when guessing for a pentagonal donut world... :)

#20 axmeister

axmeister

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Just seen the 5 player map (who came up with that?), but I'mwondering whether having a void space in the middle is such a good idea...

And still no British civilization? I'm begining to wonder whether this is some sort of US prejudice playing up, it always seems to me that Britain is never promoted in the Civilization games even though they built the biggest empire in the world.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS