Photo

Dust Tactics vs. Dust Tactics Revised Core Set?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ravenwolf64

ravenwolf64

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

Gurus,

I am a bit confused, under Dust Tactics Base Game link I find both "Dust Tactics" and "Dust Tactics: Revised Core Set"? What is the difference in these, the word 'revised' is throwing me. Since they don't have the same content I assume the $79.95 "Revised Core Set" is not a revision of the more expensive $99.95 "Dust Tactics?" If you owned both there would be no duplication? Thank you for your time and attention. :)

Peace,

David Hoctor

http://www.wetalkagoodgame.com

#2 Algesan

Algesan

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

No duplication at all.  The "revised" core set has a new walker, three new squads and a new hero for each side.  I will note that the new squads appear to be more extreme units than those in the original core set.  For example, a "Hellboys" squad that has two flamethrowers instead of the one that comes with the BBQ squad.

#3 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:56 AM

Algesan said:

I will note that the new squads appear to be more extreme units than those in the original core set.  For example, a "Hellboys" squad that has two flamethrowers instead of the one that comes with the BBQ squad.

They have had to hand over their Demo Charges to receive the second flamethrower ;-)

#4 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

Owning both is definitely the best bang-for-your-buck for Dust Tactics components / minis.  If you're only going to get one, get the original set - it's going out of print, is the better deal, and comes with cardboard terrain tiles rather than the poster maps.

#5 Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex

Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

Both are cool. The original core set is going to give you the basic troops and 2 walkers from each side. Right now you can still get them at a decent price. To buy all of the minis seperate would run you about $140 and that is without the rules and maps. You also want to get the special ops units and the command units.

#6 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

The original set is how the game should come. While I like the Revised set, the units too much. By that I mean that if you put too much of the wierd war in so fast, the wierd is less wierd and more ordinary. The revised starter set hs three AC 3 Infantry squads in it, two AC 3 Infantry heroes and two walkers with only three "normal" squads.

In the original set the fantastical elements were the walkers and the lasers.

Hopefully in the future we can have something that includes a mixture of the two sets. Two AC 2 Infantry squads, one AC 3 Infantry Squad, one AC 4 Walker and one AC 3 walker. Add in some rules and terrain pieces for AC 1 Infantry Terrain/Obstacles as well as the normal tank traps and ammo crates and yo would run a good range of AC types and unit types.

But as it stands now, get the original, down load the new rules. A few weeks later (money permitting) get the second set and you are well on your way.

#7 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

I wish they would add more variation to the whole Tank Trap and Ammo Crate thing. With every expansion and core set coming with a bunch of these, you quickly amass a pile of identical plastic pieces. At least the ammo crates come in 3 varieties, but they could do better than this. Like having piles of sand bags as an alternative for the ammo crate, and those different variation of tank traps that Dust-Models has.

#8 Methos

Methos

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

I just recently received both the Original Core set and the Revised Core set...here are my first impressions regarding both. Since I have not yet fielded any armies or played a single minute of the game, my observations and opinions are solely about the production quality and

ORIGINAL Core Set:

PROS:

1. FFG Production Value: This set just has that FFG style of quality from the very first moment you open the box. The sheer size of the box, the choice of corrugate stock and full color mural artwork on the box top draws you into the whole experience.

2. Volume of Resources: When I was unpacking this set - it felt like it went on forever (and I mean that in a good way). From the unit models, to the walkers, to the rules manuals, numerous heavy stock cardboard scenario tiles (which really add the gravitas to the tabletop), all the way down to the tank traps and dice - this set just was packed with everything you could possibly need for a unique, out of the box, immediate playing experience. If I opened this box at a friends house, I would probably still be playing

CONS: None that I can speak of at this time.

REVISED Core Set (again, these are my impressions on the dollar value of the set - not the mechanics)

PROS: The internal components: models, stat cards, poster scenario maps, tank traps, dice - all high quality production items as seen in the Original Core Set. In some cases, I think the sculpts and final presentation of the models out of the box are high quality; better in some cases than the Original Set.

CONS:

1. Overall Presentation is much weaker than the Original Core Set. The cardboard quality is really quite thin, and feels like it can be summarily dismissed and discarded once the contents are removed.

2. Scenario Posters - NOT Tiles: A real departure from the heavy stock quality tiles from the Original Set.

If the goal in the REVISED Core Set was to offer the consumer a new, inexpensive entry point into the DUST Tactics world, then I feel that this was accomplished.  I think everything you need to play this out of the box is there.

However, I am glad that I opened the ORIGINAL first. The Original Core set reminded me of what board games used to be; not just a product, but an experience that made you feel good about what you purchased and good about the company you purchased it from.

I think the REVISED is a fine set. And if this was the ONLY version released, I probably would be singing its praises.  However, you definitely can feel the production value stripped from it in several aspects, in order to reduce the cost and pass that savings along to the customer.  I think by comparison, the REVISED set could have been even more inexpensive, based on the apparent cost savings measures.

Truth - if you can afford to - buy both. If you have to decided between the two - I would recommend the Original and downloading the new rules from the support page.

EDIT: I just wanted to be clear - that there are no model duplicates between the two sets. Each set has its own specific unit sets and walkers. 

Thanks!

We live for the One…We die for the One!

#9 Algesan

Algesan

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

If you notice, the original core set (at least the two I got in the last few months) isn't printed with the FFG logo.  That is an added on sticker and the heavy box was a shock to me.  IMO, FFG got in the game after the original core was finalized and the thin boxes we've seen for the expansions are more the FFG quality of container.

#10 Methos

Methos

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

I did see the sticker and have read that this was another company (AEG) that produced this game - so kudos to them for the production value and lucky for us that FFG was able to acquire the units for sale.

However, I do disagree with your comment about FFG quality of container.  As a long time A Game of Thrones LCG player and collector - the quality of those boxes is similar, if not in fact as good, as the quality of the original core. I just bought Rune Age and the Lord of the Rings LCG and those boxes are high quality, sturdy boxes as well; heavy card stock/double well corrugate cardboard (or at least that's what it feels like to me).

So I was actually shocked that the REVISED Core Set container box was made of such a mediocre stock since my last few purchases were packed in quality containers.

But...since all of my armies are probably going into battle foam anyways...I guess it hurts less tossing those cheaper boxes away LOL!

We live for the One…We die for the One!

#11 ravenwolf64

ravenwolf64

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

Thank you all!!! This was an incredibly helpful thread, I will be buying both : ) If I could only afford the painted premium versions! lol

Peace,

David Hoctor

http://www.wetalkagoodgame.com

#12 Razz

Razz

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:52 AM

Is there a background part in the Revised Core Set as comprehensive as in Operation Seelöwe?

#13 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

Razz said:

Is there a background part in the Revised Core Set as comprehensive as in Operation Seelöwe?

About one page of general background and then a few pages covering each "unit" in the box. Operation Seelowe is still the way to go for fluff/background.

Which I must say was a dissappointment, I was hoping for a few pages of background at the least.

#14 deedob

deedob

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:19 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

Razz said:

About one page of general background and then a few pages covering each "unit" in the box. Operation Seelowe is still the way to go for fluff/background.

Which I must say was a dissappointment, I was hoping for a few pages of background at the least.

I am really hoping for lots of background in Dust Warfare.

As for the quality of the Revised, it is indeed lower (if only for the paper maps - as the rest of the material is top quality [i don't care about the box cover]) than the original core set. AEG was behind the original (they were still mentionned in the rulebook over FFG), FFG is behind the revised.

I do understand the lower quality of the paper maps over the tiles. I beleive they intend the revised to be a core set for both Tactics and Warfare. You buy the core set, then buy Warfare for the Warfare rules or the terrain pack tiles to play more Tactics.

You don't want to have to pay 20+$ for tiles you won't use if all you plan on doing is playing Warfare, hence the paper over the cardboard.

#15 Captain Erf

Captain Erf

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:17 AM

Does anyone know if the Premium version of the original Core Set will remain available?

The FFG web store lists it as 'Out of Stock' but available for 'Preorder', which suggests to me that you can still pre-order it and new batches will be produced.

On the other hand, with the Revised Core Set out, continuing with a premium version of the original core set seems unlikely. But then, why is still on their website? 

#16 Ropya

Ropya

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

I wouldnt imagine them still making the original set available.

By it no longer being available, we no longer have access to cheap force expansion by buying them in bulk.

Itll now cost twice the price of the core set to get those models. Which leaves out everything else it came with.

Itd be bad business for them to keep producing it. Im sure their profit margin it better without it.

#17 Algesan

Algesan

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

I'm going to note something about the Revised Core minis.  Specifically the two new Axis armor 3 squads. 

I need to know what is the best glue for this kind of miniature because both of those squads have that stupid looking, about to fall on their face pose for one of the models.  I wonder what clueless moron passed that through the quality control system. 

I understand different poses, but those not only looks stupid, they are a pain to store.  So, I'm going to have to cut two legs loose and reattach them in a reasonable looking pose.

#18 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Algesan said:

I need to know what is the best glue for this kind of miniature because both of those squads have that stupid looking, about to fall on their face pose for one of the models.  I wonder what clueless moron passed that through the quality control system. 

Yeah, Super glue is going to be your best bet.  I plan to do the same once I pick the set up.

#19 Major Headcase

Major Headcase

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

The other thing about the revised core set is that the two light walkers seem to be both body and weapons styles that cannot be purchased seperatley yet. and who knows, maybe FFG will keep them exclusive to the box set to increase sales!

#20 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

I hate the heads on the flak grenadiers. I really hated those figures completely as I think they just looked unbalanced and awkward with those "bazookas" but once I swapped their heads with Pig Iron heads they look fine. Also swapped Lara's head. The Laser Heavy Grenadiers look fine.

I repositioned one of the Zombies that was more or less eating the ground in front of him. I just used normal super glue.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS