Photo

1 Character game.. Which character and AO?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Negalith

Negalith

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Another thread was talking about people's attempts of 1 character games. Which character / AO combos do you think are most likley to be successful and why. Me.. I'm thinking Gloria Goldberg because of her ability to quickly / safley navigate otherworlds. Azathoth as the AO due to a nice long doom track and very little influence over the game.  Harvey Walters is tempting as well due to his Sanity protection.

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

The problem with Harvey is that while his sanity/protection is good, he has very poor stamina and (even worse), very bad movement. In my last game with Walters I was lucky enough to start with the Speed skill and the Mists of Releh spell, making him more mobile.

Amanda Sharpe might be a good character for her well-roundedness.
Monterey Jack has a good chance of starting with an Elder Sign.
Mandy Thompson has 4 starting clues and a great ability.
Joe Diamond has 3 starting clues, a great weapon, great mobility and a great special ability.
Kate Withrop can block new gates, which could be a pivotal effect in a 1-investigator game.

#3 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Negalith said:

Another thread was talking about people's attempts of 1 character games. Which character / AO combos do you think are most likley to be successful and why. Me.. I'm thinking Gloria Goldberg because of her ability to quickly / safley navigate otherworlds. Azathoth as the AO due to a nice long doom track and very little influence over the game.  Harvey Walters is tempting as well due to his Sanity protection.

Depends on how many expansions you have...  If you have multiple and want to use them all while playing one investigator, I'd say draw a mythos card every other turn (otherwise you might as well just open your wrists at the beginning of the apocalypse).  That being said :') pick an AO with a large doom track and an investigator that you enjoy :')

#4 marcoa.ramirez@gmail.com

marcoa.ramirez@gmail.com

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

To play with Arkham and any expansion also can create very powerful investigators with Strange Eons

#5 Criswell

Criswell

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

Lily Chen was my choice, with Caroline Fern coming second.

Some healing ability is a must as you'll have to stay mobile and not be tied to the hospital or asylum; also you won't have others shopping for you. Lily proved very durable and effective during my recent absurdly brief solo game featuring the absolute worst monster, encounter and mythos card draws in the history of the game, ever (e.g. God the Bloody Tongue, Skinless One and 2 Shoggoths on the board by turn 4, 3 blights -including Doyle Jeffries- by turn 7, my one seal at the Woods gate-bursted that very same turn, Yellow Sign graffiti mythos card drawn whilst in 2nd area of Rl'yeh -making closure impossible- and finally I somehow reached Act III of the KiY by turn 10... for the fist time in 4 months, I put AH away.)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS