Jump to content



Photo

Dont forget...................


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 IraShaine1972

IraShaine1972

    Member

  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:44 AM

To all those that are not happy with the co-op format for this game.  There is no reason to conclude that this will be the ONLY LCG set in the Star Wars setting.  There is nothing to limit the number of games that FFG develops and in their initial annoucement the term games(s) was used in plural.  So if you do not like co-op there is no reason that one must suffer dismay.  HOWEVER that being said I would probably try anything SW based.  While I prefer PVP card games (GoT W:I) so far the co-op format (LotR) is not bad.  Fun and different in its own way.  And like Star Wars I will play anything based on Lord of the Rings at least once.  I happen to like the co-op LCG so far.  Not the nail biting excitement of a PVP game but it almost provides the same level of player intereaction as an RPG game would in alot of ways.



#2 Titan

Titan

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:00 AM

I don't think we will see another Star Wars card game, be it pvp or stand alone. It really doesn't make much sense. You would end up competing against yourself and splitting the fan base. Then you could end up with two games neither one of which is doing all that well. It isn't my preference, but if they've decided to go with co op, then that's what they should stick with.



#3 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Titan said:

I don't think we will see another Star Wars card game, be it pvp or stand alone. It really doesn't make much sense. You would end up competing against yourself and splitting the fan base. Then you could end up with two games neither one of which is doing all that well. It isn't my preference, but if they've decided to go with co op, then that's what they should stick with.

Exactly!



#4 IraShaine1972

IraShaine1972

    Member

  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:17 AM

Well.......that seems a bit cynical.   FFG has a pretty good track record of doing multiple games for a setting in a single format.  Like the boardgames.

Westeros

Terrinoth

Twilight Imperium

Off the top of my head. 

I dont see any issues with trying games with different play basics in a single format.  The idea that it shouldn't be considered is silly.  Given that it seems to be FFGs angle anyways.

 



#5 Darksbane

Darksbane

    Member

  • Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:01 AM

 During the In Flight Report at Gencon they did say that it isn't likely there will be another SW LCG but that there were sure to be other SW card games.


Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#6 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

But this is Star Wars: The Card Game. What would they call a PvP game, besides Star Wars: The Other Card Game, obviously?



#7 Titan

Titan

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

IraShaine1972 said:

Well.......that seems a bit cynical.   FFG has a pretty good track record of doing multiple games for a setting in a single format.  Like the boardgames.

Westeros

Terrinoth

Twilight Imperium

Off the top of my head. 

I dont see any issues with trying games with different play basics in a single format.  The idea that it shouldn't be considered is silly.  Given that it seems to be FFGs angle anyways.

 


 

What inevitably will happen is that some people will like the new format better and switch to it. And that will hurt the LCG. However, there will be some people who like the LCG better and either abandon or don't play the new one. That just seems like bad business to me, spending money, time and effort on two separate games that may not garner full followings.



#8 scolex

scolex

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

It makes little sense for FFG to make multiple Star Wars card games and compete against themselves.  Also, I hope Darksbane isn't right. "During the In Flight Report at Gencon they did say that it isn't likely there will be another SW LCG but that there were sure to be other SW card games"  I would rather have an LCG.  Even more than that I don't want to see FFG seemingly give up on the LCG format. 



#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

    The Uncanny One

  • Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:55 AM

 My guess would be that they're already developing an alternate card game on the side. I mean seriously, an LCG set in the OT era can only go on for so long, even with EU from the same era, before you run out of characters, vehicles, weapons, encounters, etc. I'm betting the LCG will last a year, maybe two, and then they'll look into implementing a new SW Card Game.They should make the stand-alone Bounty Hunter Card Game I created! (j/k)


"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku


#10 Squid89

Squid89

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

MarthWMaster said:

But this is Star Wars: The Card Game. What would they call a PvP game, besides Star Wars: The Other Card Game, obviously?

It would be Star Wars: The Card Game, Special Edition.  Pretty much the same cards, but with slightly different rules, computer enhanced graphics, special commentary card from the game designers and alternative cards they cut from the original set.  This Special Edition set would also include a limited edition "Greedo shot first" card.  (not intended to spark that debate again)

:)



#11 Doom1502

Doom1502

    Member

  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Squid89 said:

MarthWMaster said:

 

But this is Star Wars: The Card Game. What would they call a PvP game, besides Star Wars: The Other Card Game, obviously?

 

 

It would be Star Wars: The Card Game, Special Edition.  Pretty much the same cards, but with slightly different rules, computer enhanced graphics, special commentary card from the game designers and alternative cards they cut from the original set.  This Special Edition set would also include a limited edition "Greedo shot first" card.  (not intended to spark that debate again)

:)

 

xD .. mady my day!!



#12 spirit

spirit

    Member

  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

Budgernaut said:

 My guess would be that they're already developing an alternate card game on the side. I mean seriously, an LCG set in the OT era can only go on for so long, even with EU from the same era, before you run out of characters, vehicles, weapons, encounters, etc. I'm betting the LCG will last a year, maybe two, and then they'll look into implementing a new SW Card Game.They should make the stand-alone Bounty Hunter Card Game I created! (j/k)

 

Are you kidding? With the material from the original trilogy alone they could keep this game going for years. Add EU into that and it could go for much longer. There is an absolute ton of material out there for this period. And that's before we even get into PT films, the comics, the old republic, new republic, legacy... etc etc.



#13 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

    Member

  • Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

spirit said:

There is an absolute ton of material out there for this period.

Plus, with them using art on the cards instead of film stills, they can introduce any sort of characters/situations they want.



#14 spalanzani

spalanzani

    Member

  • Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

I believe they will have multiple games. The original announcement from August mentioned the LCG, then at the bottom tells us to keep checking for news on "other card games". I'd expect something in their silver line as a standalone thing for, say, the Clone Wars or KotOR etc, allowing them to branch out and make the most of the universe, rather than limiting themselves to just the Rebellion for the LCG.

Well, I'd hope they do this, anyway!


www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.


#15 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

spalanzani said:

 

I believe they will have multiple games. The original announcement from August mentioned the LCG, then at the bottom tells us to keep checking for news on "other card games". I'd expect something in their silver line as a standalone thing for, say, the Clone Wars or KotOR etc, allowing them to branch out and make the most of the universe, rather than limiting themselves to just the Rebellion for the LCG.

Well, I'd hope they do this, anyway!

 

 

Still, it's been a long time since we've seen an official Star Wars gaming product that wasn't prequel-inspired in some way (or takes place in a non-movie era, in the case of the KOTOR/TOR videogames). Even WotC's card game that everybody except me and Darksbane hated started with Attack of the Clones rather than going straight to A New Hope (though this is largely excusable due to the hype surrounding AOTC at the time, and they went to ANH soon after before going with a roughly equal distribution of PT- and OT-based expansions). 

But I digress. What I mean to say is that FFG's best move here is to plug the OT void that's been left in the last decade and focus solely on everything that occurs after Vader's big "no," at least for a while. This would draw in fans who may have been put off by said void, and as for the rest, let's face it: who doesn't prefer the Original Trilogy at least a little bit (other than Barney Stinson, who though awesome, is not only fictional, but very likely embellished upon by the narrator of the series he comes from)?



#16 booored

booored

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

MarthWMaster said:

spalanzani said:

 

I believe they will have multiple games. The original announcement from August mentioned the LCG, then at the bottom tells us to keep checking for news on "other card games". I'd expect something in their silver line as a standalone thing for, say, the Clone Wars or KotOR etc, allowing them to branch out and make the most of the universe, rather than limiting themselves to just the Rebellion for the LCG.

Well, I'd hope they do this, anyway!

 

 

Still, it's been a long time since we've seen an official Star Wars gaming product that wasn't prequel-inspired in some way (or takes place in a non-movie era, in the case of the KOTOR/TOR videogames). Even WotC's card game that everybody except me and Darksbane hated started with Attack of the Clones rather than going straight to A New Hope (though this is largely excusable due to the hype surrounding AOTC at the time, and they went to ANH soon after before going with a roughly equal distribution of PT- and OT-based expansions). 

But I digress. What I mean to say is that FFG's best move here is to plug the OT void that's been left in the last decade and focus solely on everything that occurs after Vader's big "no," at least for a while. This would draw in fans who may have been put off by said void, and as for the rest, let's face it: who doesn't prefer the Original Trilogy at least a little bit (other than Barney Stinson, who though awesome, is not only fictional, but very likely embellished upon by the narrator of the series he comes from)?

 

100% agree, it is the original trilogy theme that is the ONLY reason I will be buying this.


"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"




© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS