Cthulhu/Yog

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marc_remillard

marc_remillard

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:27 AM

So, Yog being my favourite faction, i've been looking at what to combine with it. I've tried University, and that worked out ok, and now i've turned to Cthulhu and this is what i've come up with:

3 cursed skull
3 a single glimpse
3 many angled thing
3 servants of glaaki
3 initiation of glaaki
3 glaaki
3 faceless abductor

3 diseased sewer rats
3 mage known as magnus
2 dimensional rift

3 deep one rising
3 deep one assault
3 deep one stowaway
3 dreamlands fanatic
3 nocturnal scavenger
2 pulled under
2 sacrificial offerings
2 ravager from the deep

It's basically a whole slew of 147s and removal, working on the theory that the opponent will struggle to be having any creatures out at all so the kinda mediocre skills of the characters within should be able to take it home. Might need snow graves to combat recursion. Comments/suggestions welcome.

#2 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

What exactly is a 147?

#3 marc_remillard

marc_remillard

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

Oh, it's a bit of Magic slang. Roughly speaking, a creature that does something when it comes into play, especially killing another createure. Supposedly taken from the police code for murder, 147.

#4 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Obviously I like the deck, but a few comment's/suggestions.

How often do you have a character for Pulled Under? Doesn't seem like you have enough targets that can use the card reliably.

I definately don't think you need Dimensional Rift. By the time you can play this card I imagine you should ready be in control. This is unless of course that your meta is filled with control or other decks similiar to you own. Then by all means.

Likewise for Ravager of the Deep. While he is certain to put your opponent on his heals for a moment, you're definately too control heavy to need such a card.

Also, not a fan of Sacrifical Offerings here either now that I think about it.

Ideally you never want to a step back as you want to continually be pressing your opponent as you remove every bit of hope that they can muster. Sometimes you can't help that obviously, but that should be your goal.

If you do remove those, that would give you 6 slots to fill. 2 should probably go to snow graves. Discard pile tricks completely undermine what your trying to do so its usually best to not let this happen. Another card I thoroughly enjoy is a couple copies The Terror of the Tides. Since you can play it on your opponents turn it can be just as good as removal and provides a little beef to your deck. Also doubles as a good pitch card for Magnus.

2 open spots left... I think I'm gonna suggest the Temple of Ry'leh. Its not out yet, but can be amazing if you need the extra kill. Other decent options are Opening the Limbo Gate to combo with your Terror of the Tides, Ancient Ones or anything with a CIP ability. Speak with the Dead wouldn't be bad either for digging and recovery. There are several fun cards you can use for those two remaing slots or feel free to re-slot my suggested take-outs. They're not bad choices, but felt that they hurt your offensive pressure more than helped.

Hope you found that useful and good luck.

#5 marc_remillard

marc_remillard

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

That'll learn me for doing the list at work (where i don't have access to cardgamedb as it's blocked) :D

Pulled Under should be In the Wake of the Sleeper - i got the cards mixed up.

Ravager can probably go, i guess i was looking more to diversify my curve for Magnus - Terror of the Tides is almost certainly a better shout.

Sacrificial offerings i think should be ok - gives me a 1 drop removal on the draw, and most of my guys have done the bulk of their work once they enter play anyway, so i think it shouldn't be terrible late game. Definitely not the best card for the deck, hence only 2 copies.

Dimensional rift i guess is a personal call - i like having reset buttons - but you're probably right in that it doesn't need to be in here. They can be Snow Graves.

Not sure i'd have enough Cthulhu characters to make the temple good enough, but i might be wrong.

That gives a list of:

3 cursed skull
3 a single glimpse
3 many angled thing
3 servants of glaaki
3 initiation of glaaki
3 glaaki
3 faceless abductor

3 diseased sewer rats
3 mage known as magnus

3 deep one rising
3 deep one assault
3 deep one stowaway
3 dreamlands fanatic
3 nocturnal scavenger
2 in the wake of the sleeper
2 sacrificial offerings
2 Terror of the tides

2 snow graves

#6 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

marc_remillard said:

That'll learn me for doing the list at work (where i don't have access to cardgamedb as it's blocked) :D

Pulled Under should be In the Wake of the Sleeper - i got the cards mixed up.

Ravager can probably go, i guess i was looking more to diversify my curve for Magnus - Terror of the Tides is almost certainly a better shout.

Sacrificial offerings i think should be ok - gives me a 1 drop removal on the draw, and most of my guys have done the bulk of their work once they enter play anyway, so i think it shouldn't be terrible late game. Definitely not the best card for the deck, hence only 2 copies.

Dimensional rift i guess is a personal call - i like having reset buttons - but you're probably right in that it doesn't need to be in here. They can be Snow Graves.

Not sure i'd have enough Cthulhu characters to make the temple good enough, but i might be wrong.

That gives a list of:

3 cursed skull
3 a single glimpse
3 many angled thing
3 servants of glaaki
3 initiation of glaaki
3 glaaki
3 faceless abductor

3 diseased sewer rats
3 mage known as magnus

3 deep one rising
3 deep one assault
3 deep one stowaway
3 dreamlands fanatic
3 nocturnal scavenger
2 in the wake of the sleeper
2 sacrificial offerings
2 Terror of the tides

2 snow graves

With 14 you wouldn't be making the best use of the Temple, but should be more than enough to have characters when you need to use the temple. But there are plenty of other options that may be better suited.

In the wake of the sleeper is a solid card... however that loyal 3 cost is rough. With your cthulhu count is under half of the deck more often than not you'll be paying 4 or even sometimes 5 resources(which means you just over resourced unless you plan on hard casting glaaki) for what usually will only net you a 1 for 1. Which isn't the end of the world but is rather sub optimal. If you fear support cards then keep it. Otherwise I'd drop it for a more interesting option and preferably something along the lines of an agressive 2 for 1.

#7 marc_remillard

marc_remillard

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:52 AM

I think with the resourcing, i'm probably going to want my largest domain to be almost all cthulhu, with my secondary being mostly yog. Cthulhu has the highest cost stuff and all the loyal cards, so thats where i'll be concentrating. So in that regard Wake should be fine, but definitely has the possibility to be awkward, hence only 2 copies.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS