Finally got round to painting my minis!

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:47 AM

Grabbed a few afternoons before I skipped off for some LARPing fun, haven't had time to take any decent pics yet but will replace as I do

This stuff can be slotted into my speedpainted for boardgame catagory I Reckon,  although they are extremely nice figures and came up quite well considering the simple techniques employed, I guess my little paint pixies get better with age  :wink:

This lot painted in 3 afternoons, pretty much all the foot troops bar a couple of command squads and heroes to date, hopefully start all the funky walkers ASAP if I can fit them in between pending commission work

Posted Image

Grim Reapers led by OZZ 117
Posted Image

BBQ Assault Squad
Posted Image

The Recon Boys
Posted Image

Gunners Combat Squad
Posted Image

Battle Grenadiers
Posted Image

Sniper and Observer Squad
Posted Image

Recon Grenadiers
Posted Image

Laser Grenadiers
Posted Image

Axis Gorillas led my Markus
Posted Image

#2 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

bah, no to cut and paste from other forums then! Aint got time now will be back later to sort it out!

#3 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:16 AM

Very cool, they look extremely faithful to the "official paint job". Let me give you a hand with the pics:

#4 Moiterei_1984

Moiterei_1984

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Good job, but in my opinion the axis camo almost looks like the american. There´s almost no difference in my eyes. But beside that you´ve realy done a great job.

#5 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

Brilliant, much obliged Loophole! What did I do wrong? Be great if it was just a small change to the content of the post rather than having to link all the pics again in future posts!

Moiteri, they are actually quite distinguishable in the flesh, I tend to use similar tones when speed painting to keep things frosty, after having a few games of tactics I really wanted to get a little paint splashed on these fellas for a prettier game experience. Got to say absolutely LOVE the mechanics, it's brutal and fun and can twist and turn at any point in the game. As a fan of Andy Chambers Starship troopers I am really looking forward to his reaction based system using the Dust Universe, of course I am only assuming he will be using a similar system, be a shame if he didn't SST was a vastly overlooked tabletop...

#6 Enies

Enies

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:06 AM

Looks great i like your yellowish color on the panzerfaust and panzerschreck.Hope you post the walkers soon

#7 Bravester

Bravester

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

How do you do your whites? They look super clean. Car to write up a tutorial? Because there HAS to be a better way of painting realistic whites than the way I am doing it!

Cheers!

Bravester

#8 [So]Rice

[So]Rice

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Nice to see your style of painting on here Bulldog, it's a great change from your normal Space Marines. The colors are airbrushed right and than line highlighted correct?

#9 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

That's right [so]rice, base colours are airbrushed (mainly to save time) then I generally brush blend over these to give a stronger colour, after that it's just a matter of the odd ink and line here and there to bring out the details. It's a pleasant change from the usual 40k stuff too, really really enjoying these little fellas!

Bravestar, I'm all out of boxed sets right now but as soon as I get my hands on the next group of troop releases I will take some pics of a step by step mate, it's a very simple technique and gives nice bold minis for gaming

Actually, strike that, think I have the Axis command squad to go, will try and get stuck into them next week sometime and sort out a tut

#10 Bravester

Bravester

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:36 AM

Oh no, not ANOTHER darn airbrush wizard! Man, you guys are everywhere.

Ah well, I look forward to the tutorial. Though, correct if I am wrong, but I have been looking at the figures and it appears to me that maybe you just basecoated white and the did a super thin, light gray wash over that?

#11 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

Believe me when I say I am no wizard Bravestar, at best I would say my talents with the AB are basic, never aimed for anything higher really as it's not needed for my approach to painting, for me the airbrush is more about adding that easy layer of shadow and depth than any magic formula and I finish most of my painting the good old fashioned way with the old hairy stick! It really is a case of what you leave out rather than what you put in, I'm the ultimate lazy painter!

Anyhow, I have actually done a partial tut on the white, I say partial as I am enjoying these things so much and tend to get right into the jazz once I start painting that I may have skipped a few stages with the pictures but it should help, hopefully will post it up in the next few days. Waiting for someone to give the sun back over here in the UK so I can get some decent pics of the rest of the Dust gear, been busy and have finished ALL the current infantry available (with the exception of the zombies and hunters who landed on my doorstep today) also knocked up the 4 tanks in the base set, have taken the same speed painted approach on these to show what can be achieved with basic techniques and the good old tried and tested sponge/rust approach, all 4 tanks finished in 2 afternoons to a pretty nice gaming standard that practically anyone can achieve without any fancy weathering washes or powders, roll on sunshine and pictures!!!

#12 Cead

Cead

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

Awesome job! Now if I could only paint my minis that well there would be piece on earth.

#13 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:32 AM

Finally finished the last of my current backlog of Dust figures with the zombies and tank killers! at last I can break out of this hypnotic speed painting trance for a while  and breath easy waiting on the next wave of releases, yay! Will update with some close-ups over this week, until then I am gonna chillax and go assemble some of these FW goodies for the next batch of Space Shark commission  8-)

ps, any idea why the pictures I post go straight to the top of the post and cannot be pre-ceeded by text, don't have any problems with other forums, this one seems to dislike me!!!

#14 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

Finally got round to taking those pics, quite a lot to go so will bob the allies on today and hopefully post the axis stuff later today or tomorrow

I would imagine the revised core set is due out here in the UK over the weekend so should have another 2 walkers and 3 or 4 squads to add to the forces sometime soon!

All speedpainted for a nice bold tabletop effect, the tanks are straightforward simple airbrush and nothing more than masking tape and a few pieces of packing sponge....no fancy powders or techniques required!

#15 vengeance000

vengeance000

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:17 AM

Wow, that airbrush really allows you to do some awesome blending and comes out nice smooth and bold with the colors. Wish I had one, or better yet knew how to even use one!

#16 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:35 AM

Mainly use the AB for laying down the main colours Vengeance, it's much much quicker than the brush and I would highly recommend them, no great skill is needed, I didnt have a clue when I got mine, not a fan of tutorials so I just experimented and learnt by my mistakes...always the fun way!, the infantry are finished with the good old hairy stick as I always feels it adds the contrast needed for tabletop gaming being viewed from a few feet

might as well post the axis forces while the sun aint on show...

Same deal as the Allies, speedpainted, basic techniques, nice bold colours for maximums tabletop candiness

I love the sculpts, anyone who has built any WWII vehicles can immediately recognise various parts of the tanks so they ooze authentic but they are on legs....ON LEGS! LEGS DAMNIT!

#17 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:53 AM

Wow.... just wow.

(message was too short so system wouldn't allow me to post. So here's another WOW.)

#18 bulldoguk

bulldoguk

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Few snippets. Whipped through the scenery that came with the base set and both campaigns, literally half hour with the airbrush, 4 colours and some old spnge and brown paint! I can now officially say I am all up to date! Shame the revised core set wasn't released this weekend over here in the UK....still in a defo Dust painting mood....ahh well maybe next week :)

To comfort myself I bagged the two kits from Ebay, figured the Gunther and the other kit (once Dusted over with a little WWII gear) would make good objectives for future games, building them will give me something to do on the long cold nights in the Lake District when I go on my hols soon too!

#19 KillaRr

KillaRr

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

your stuff looks briljant!

After seeing this I really have to buy a airbrush! ... have to!!

regards Tom

#20 vengeance000

vengeance000

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

Yeah, what brand/kind of airbrush do you use? Never really thought about using one, but it seems great for speed painting and blending.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS