Pointless post of anticipation

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:28 AM

I haven't looked forward a game like I'm looking forward to FFG's "X-Wing" in a very long time.  I'm really REALLY excited for the game, but there are a few drawbacks.  First, new news doesn't come out often enough.  (I know, I know - probably no news to post).  Second, the announced "Early 2012" release date is too far away.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, (and back before the internet), I was this excited for the original "X-Wing" combat space sim by LucasArts to come out.  I called the LucasArts weekly.  The operators got to know the sound of my voice:  "No Mr. Smith, nothing new to report."  Finally, one day I got the best news.  The operator said "Mr. Smith!  It looks like I win.  We operators had a lottery going to pick who would get your call."  (Makes me sound like a stalker, doesn't it?)  He then told me the exact release date and informed me of the special commemorative edition available for pre-order.  (I got a hat, a pewter miniature, a polo shirt, and a copy of the game which included an X-Wing novella). 

So this is bring back lots of memories for me.  "Early 2012" can't come soon enough for me.

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

You do sound quite excited. I myself have had a couple of nights where I fell asleep thinking about X-wing, dreamed about it, and woke up thinking about it. I think that's called obsession, but I'm not sure. I wish it were coming out in time for Christmas, but I'd rather they have a well-crafted product than rush things.

#3 algi

algi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

I hope it's not coincidence that it evokes the name of the LucasArts game. I'm really looking forward to the rulebook. This is going to be hugely awesome or a very big letdown. I really hope the former.

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:34 AM

I'm with you guys - the announcement and demos made such a big splash, I'm really excited for this game. I can't believe we still have to wait so long... but at least this gives us all a long time to sock away some cash! 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:04 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

but at least this gives us all a long time to sock away some cash! 

Too true. I'm already putting some money away for the LEGO Millennium Falcon, so I'm grateful for the extra time to save for this X-wing game.

#6 schoon

schoon

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

Parakitor said:

I. J. Thompson said:

Too true. I'm already putting some money away for the LEGO Millennium Falcon, so I'm grateful for the extra time to save for this X-wing game.

You could up the scale and play with LEGO models!

...if you had a really big room in which to play.

However, I agree, this really does look like it's going to be a fun game, though I would guess that it will be spring before we really start getting much in the way of information.

#7 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

Wow, this forum has croaked! Methinks we need some more info... 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#8 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, I come here once per day, looking for something new.  Come on FFG, throw us a bone, here~!

#9 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

I've been looking, and thinking. Comparing this to, say, The Old Republic videogame. It too is a 2012er, but it has a website, continually updated rules info & character development blurbs you can check on Facebook, and not one but TWO comic series (to date). FFG has a brief amateur video from some Con.

Old Republic has managed to sustain interest after all these months of delays, because they provide information, support and a notion that "we're still here!" X-Wing, all we know for sure is that a) it's going to be expensive, and b) there isn't much to start with. That's NOT a good recommendation. There's still no hard information on rules, no indication of follow-on projects or product support, we don't even know how big the damned miniatures are - or if they'll be in scale with one another.

I'm very interested in the game. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be here beating my lips together. But I'm already having second thoughts about whether it's worth getting into, and I don't imagine I'm alone. Somebody at FFG had best get on the stick and make some indication that they, too, are interested in the game and provide something periodically to keep interest alive, or this big Lucas-licensed project may well end up stillborn. I mean, it has over a YEAR to go before release. I'm tellin' ya, FFG, better get serious. Gamers are a fickle lot - and just owning a Star Wars license does NOT confer immortality.

#10 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

Just telling us what exactly will be in the box would be a great help. Particularly, if there will be a fold-out poster map included (come on, FFG, a lot of people seem to be basing their decision on this simple, inexpensive question!). 

p.s: IG-58, are you gonna play The Old Republic?

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#11 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

p.s: IG-58, are you gonna play The Old Republic?

I don't know about IG-58, but I am planning on playing SWOTR. 

Other than that, I agree with everything y'all have said.  I'd like SOMETHING...any sort of tidbit at all.  Weekly tidbits would be my choice, if FFG is asking...

#12 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:07 AM

I haven't determined if my system will support it yet. Never could get Mass Effect to work!

#13 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

schoon said:

Parakitor said:

I. J. Thompson said:

You could up the scale and play with LEGO models!

...if you had a really big room in which to play.

However, I agree, this really does look like it's going to be a fun game, though I would guess that it will be spring before we really start getting much in the way of information.

Holy crap, I need to work on doing this for a Convention game!

#14 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Well, assuming this game comes out at the tail-end of first quarter 2012, we're looking at half a year before we can get this dogfight started. How slow time seems from this end . . . I'm dying for some updates!

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#15 schoon

schoon

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

The game still IS in playtest, after all.

...they might be thinking that no information is better than bad information they'll have to retract later.

FFG's normal mode of operation is to start with the teasers 3 months out, so perhaps we'll start getting them as Christmas presents

#16 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

They COULD throw us a bone about the models at least, however. With all the time & complexity involved in tooling & production, chances are there's bins of the lil' ships already - and that's not likely to involve any major change. At the very least, there's a fully configured manufacturing facility somewhere. Just guessing.

#17 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:08 AM

On the subject of manufacturing, it won't break my heart if they end up using the bendier plastic, like WotC used. I could sacrifice a little detail for some extra durability. Seeing those TIEs with their wings broken off in that latest video made me kinda nervous...

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#18 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

Oog. IJT and I agree on most stuff, but I'll pass on the bendy plastic. I want QUALITY stuff! Being a modeler I can take care of it. The big trick though, I suppose, would be to market the (later) individual pieces in a package w/ a window. That way you can see if your fifteen-dollar piece is good out of the package. Interior shaped shells will also be critical. They might well come in pieces for assembly, too.

#19 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have more beautiful (but more brittle) ships too. 

Perhaps I'll have have my opponents sign a waiver saying if they break it, they owe me 15 bucks! 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#20 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Let's see if this gets censored.

My friends and opponents: keep your ****-beaters off my ships.

Common gaming courtesy.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS