Play Session: Oakmont, PA 8/27/2011 - part 1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Random_Person

Random_Person

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

We had a great day in Oakmont on Saturday. I arrived late thanks to PennDOT. No surprises there. How is it that one section of interstate needs repaired every single year? When I arrived, Tom was already there, playing a game with Kip. Kaitlin looked ready to play and I was anxious to try out a few fun decks that I had built. I only had a few short hours to prepare decks for this session, so I threw together a few things with some under appreciated cards just to see how they'd play out.... this is the first part of 3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mono Silver Twilight
Character
Unscrupulous Acquisitionist (TGS) x3
Zealous Secretary (TTB) x3
Disgruntled Chef (TOotST) x3
Protector of Secrets (IotF) x3
Recruiter for the Lodge (TOotST) x3
Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST) x3
Nigel St. James (TSS) x2
Dr. Baker (TTB) x2
Lodge Housekeeper (TOotST) x2
Lodge Librarian (TOotST) x3
Knight of the Outer Void (TOotST) x3
Devious Architect (TOotST) x3
Crooked Treasurer (TWC) x3
High Wizard of the Order (TOotST) x2
Senator Nathaniel Rhodes (TOotST) x2
Mayor Atkinson (TOotST) x2

Support
Elder Binding (AoA) x3
The Deodand (TSS) x2

Event
You Know Too Much (TOotST) x3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, you read that right, mono Silver Twilight! I have wanted to give these guys a shot for quite some time. The problem is... they don't really play well with others and they just aren't strong enough on their own. I made some bad choices when building this deck that I didn't realize until I started playing it. Take Disgruntled Chef for instance. She's fine with her two combat, but her ability is horrible. The “until end of phase” clause means that I cannot use that ability at a story unless I have a way to remove a character during the commit steps... and with a lack of removal, I couldn't do that. Some of the other cards are just terrible, but as it is a mono deck, I went with what I had, and I wanted to try and make them work anyway. This was, after all, an attempt at playing cards that don't normally see play.

What surprised me was the viability of the Knights and the various comes into play effects. Bouncing Lord Farrington is an obvious tactic each turn, but there are also neat cards like Housekeeper and Protector that can give a bit of a relief for a turn. With these cards in play, there are options each turn to deal with the current board situation. With enough soft removal, and Arcane, it is fairly simple to make a run for stories each turn and un-Exhaust important characters, ready for defense. The Recruiters really shine with this engine. In a deck with so many characters, they essentially become “Pay 2 to draw a card” each turn.

On removal, Twilight has almost nothing. The two attachments are horrible and You Know to Much is much more useful to prevent your opponent from drawing fresh cards than it is for removal. The Lodge isn't horrible... it's just not good.

These are the cards I'd currently consider in a two faction deck if you want to find a way to work with them... obviously using the bounce technique. There are other Lodge tactics, but I chose to focus on this one...

Knight of the Outer Void – This is a must if you want to play the bounce strategy.
Recruiter for the Lodge – This little guy gets the setup out faster and helps you draw cards
Unscrupulous Acquisitionist – Locks up the opponents board a bit and may provide soft removal if you're lucky
Protector of the Secrets – Great at removing someone from defending.
Lord Jeffrey Farrington – I believe this one is obvious
Lodge Housekeeper – soft removal for support cards. Not as important, but I'd play 2 if for the chance, plus the investigation icon
High Wizard of the Order – A weaker Lord Farrington, but not unique. I don't think I'd play more than 2

That's only 19 cards, leaving a lot of room for a stronger faction. There may be some stuff I'm missing that fits in combination with another faction, this is just for the bounce stuff. Below are some notes on other cards that may work, but likely won't make the cut depending on the second faction:

Lodge Librarian – This guy's ability is terrible. But he is 3 skill, 2 Arcane and an Investigation for 3. I would consider him if for nothing else than getting to win stories and un-exhausting him but it is likely a weak choice when paired with a better faction
Dr Baker – his ability can help keep the Knights out, but he is also an Arcane and Investigation. I'd consider playing 1 or 2 if the second faction doesn't have a better choice.
Zealous Secretary – She's good. I like giving everyone more books, but she's not needed if paired with a strong faction
Senator Nathaniel Rhodes – he has a lot of icons and a useable ability at times. I might consider playing with 1just because
You Know Too Much – The only Lodge removal that is worth trying... still, if I pair these guys up with something else, I'll likely pick a faction that has some removal and this card just won't make it.

Thanks to tom for setting up this session.  I hope we can continue to make it a monthly event and attract new (and maybe old!) players to our gathering.  It was an absolute blast and I can't wait for next time!

#2 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Part 1?

... I was there and I still can't wait until part 2.

I should really post my "This is Madness!" deck. I did a little tweakin too. It works a little better, not much but a little! 4 factions is still too wierd though.

#3 Random_Person

Random_Person

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Magnus Arcanis said:

Part 1?

... I was there and I still can't wait until part 2.

I should really post my "This is Madness!" deck. I did a little tweakin too. It works a little better, not much but a little! 4 factions is still too wierd though.

I built 3 decks.  Three write ups for three decks. Even though one was just a new twist on my standard Agency/Syndicate  

And YES.  You should share that deck with the world! 

#4 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

Magnus Arcanis said:

...4 factions is still too wierd though.

With a line like that, you HAVE to post it!  :)

#5 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

Still waiting for part 2 you busy guy you!

Speaking of number 2's (lol)

Just announced: http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=548406

Oakmont, PA Meeting #2 is on October 1st!!! OMG!!!! WOOO!!!!!

Gonna be awesome!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Random_Person

Random_Person

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

I know.  I have the decklist on my desktop, I just haven't had time to write it up yet. :(

I can't wait for the 1st!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS