Help needed trimming a Shub/Yog deck

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kerrigan

Kerrigan

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

I came up with this deck but I'm having trouble cutting it down to 50 cards. At the moment there's 56, and I can't seem to decide what to cut out. It has a lot of monsters that should be easy to bring out. There's cards to manipulate the discard pile, All are One and Speak to the Dead can drop in characters that can be retrieved with Ferocious Dark Young, Hungry Dark Young and Unspeakable Resurrection. It has strong character removal with a Cursed Skull and Gathering at the Stones combo, plus the Initiation of Glaaki event.
Under the Porch can bring out Shub-Niggurath for a turn, who can then potentially spawn a slew of Dark Young characters. Gibbering Soul and Shocking Transformation enable you to find character you need.

The Glaaki ancient one is the only character you won't be able to search for specifically, but All are One and Speak to the Dead should go a long way into finding that one. Or should I cut out the Glaaki cards and put in A Single Glimpse?

Characters 32

3x Fishers from Outside
2x •Glaaki, The Inhabitant of the Lake
3x Many-angled Thing
3x Servants of Glaaki
3x Collector of Sacrifices
3x Ferocious Dark Young
3x Gibbering Soul
3x Grasping Chthonian
3x Hungry Dark Young
3x Priestess of Bubastis
1x •Shub-Niggurath, Dark Mistress of the Woods
2x •Y'Golonac, The Obscenity

Events 18
3x All are One
3x Gathering at the Stones
3x Initiation of Glaaki
3x Speak to the Dead
3x Unspeakable Resurrection
3x Shocking Transformation

Support 6
3x Cursed Skull
3x Under the Porch

Total : 56

#2 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'd probably drop All are One and Gathering at the Stones.

You already have 6 other cards that can recover from the discard pile, having 9 is just overkill. All are One seems to be mostly for digging which doesn't seem well suited to your deck's apparent aggressiveness.

Unless you're really going for the Shub&Friends Suprise tactic instead of a flood strategy. So, if you are merely focused on Shub&Friends Suprise, then cut a Cursed Skull, amd 2 Fishers from the Outside instead of All are One. As now your goal is a one incredible turn you don't need to chip away at your opponent as much while setting your discard pile/draw/hand they way you want seems to be more important.

However, a more of a hybrid would garner cutting 2 fishers and 1 all are one. Regardless of your path, cut one for your recursion cards. 9 is to heavy especially when you also have 9 search cards. Really, thats 18 cards that either find something or recover. Thats not including Ferious' and Hungry's abilities either which get you to almost half of your deck. Which means... really hope you always have an answer to Snow Graves and/or Flux Stabilizer ;) Which is exactly why I don't have a problem with having so many search.

But I suggest testing out all the variants and see which one you like best and tune it as best you can. Otherwise have fun :)

#3 Kerrigan

Kerrigan

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I've cut out Gathering at the Stones, 2x Fishers and 1 All are One. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I hope I will soon!

#4 Magnus Arcanis

Magnus Arcanis

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

Kerrigan said:

Thanks for the feedback, I've cut out Gathering at the Stones, 2x Fishers and 1 All are One. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I hope I will soon!

Not yet! Psh, clearly you need to play more Call of Cthulhu. Not playing enough CoC will mess with your system. Its unhealthy I say!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS