• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDD

HappyDD

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

We are starting to see cards like Sneaky Git that say something like this:

"Action: When this unit attacks, reveal the top card of your deck. If the revealed card is odd, deal 2 damage to target capital. Otherwise, deal 2 damage to your capital. Then, shuffle your deck."

In a goblin deck (let's just call it a "rush deck") some people try to get away with loading up their cheap units with lots of free attachments. Pretend I try to activate Sneaky Git's ability and I flip over Tribal Tattoos or any other 0 cost card. I could see how 0 could be considered "Not odd, therefore even" by me since I want the action to work, and considered "Not even, therefore not counting in this situation as activating the ability" by my opponent. I was commenting on someone else's deck and they adamantly claimed 0 is odd "according to maths." That's interesting, because according to Wikipedia (otherwise known as the INFALLIBLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION, SHUT UP IT'S TRUE) 0 is even. http://en.wikipedia..../Parity_of_zero

So what do you guys think? I figure it could be played as even or it could be played as "neither even nor odd, get out of here Einstein." I will call it even if my opponent ever flips it though.

#2 Doc9

Doc9

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

Zero is an even number. Even numbers are numbers that are divisable by the number two and result in a whole number. Since zero is divisable by two...it is even. 0/2=0 (whole number). Even.

#3 Budmilka_fr

Budmilka_fr

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

0 is even.

You may also say that even numbers could be written as "2*n" and odd numbers "2*n+1". Zero is 2*0=0, and is not 2*0+1.

#4 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

HappyDD said:

"Not even, therefore not counting in this situation as activating the ability"

While zero is even, this sort of logic is also totally wrong.  The card specifies what to do "otherwise", so regardless of whether zero is even or just "not even or odd", you still follow the "otherwise" instructions.

#5 HappyDD

HappyDD

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

You're right Entropy, I was sloppy. Also I messed up odd and even in that statement.

So anyway,  0 being even doesn't even seem to be up for debate, so no problem. Thanks for the responses everyone!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS