Jump to content



Photo

Is WHI dieying???


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Da Brülla

Da Brülla

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

First of all: I know this is not a deckbuilding thing, ore has something to do with rules. But I think the community Forum is even not the right place to post. Exactly like the off Topic Forum. In my opinion is the most important topic for WHI ever. May a admin punish me...

Like the title says, Im a little bit scared about the future of our great game. I have the feeling, that the community get weaker and weaker, less people join the game (or even stopped to play) and the Forums are nearly dead. Is that only my opinion or is this a real happening?

What is with FFG? Why get the support with news worser? Is the game not lucrative enough to hold it on after the 4th circle?

What is your opinions and feelings about that topic?

Greetings from Germany, Brülla

 



#2 Vitamin T

Vitamin T

    Member

  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

 I know at Gencon Lukas seemed to indicate that there are still multiple new cycles in the works.  We have as many players as we always have had, but we have never had a huge group.  I suspect that at least part of the lack of posting on the forum is due to gencon having just ended.  I do feel like it is difficult to get new players into any of the LCGs once they get off the ground.  I dont know what a good solution to that issue is.

 

TL



#3 painnen

painnen

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

there really isn't a whole lot to post about either. LCGs mean everyone gets all the cards in the new sets at the same time, build from the same card pool, and the same decktypes rise to the top.

 

my version of DE is alot like Vitamin T's so i don't find it worth posting. i suspect this is very much the same for everyone out there. we all have the same ideas and there are only so many options.

 

i also think that we are in a state of balance right now. that means Timmy the Powergamer can't stroke his ego and post his new "uber leet deck of awesomesauce" and be crowned king of WHI. so they don't post. or not until someone claims to have found the aforementioned "uber l33t deck of awesomesauce" and Timmy comes on, copies the deck, playtests it a dozen times, and then comes on here to bash it to pieces.

 

i think that's how CCG websites generate buzz. this game is HIGHLY competitive right now and a good draw or a lucky rip off the top of your deck might be what it takes to win a game or two. (just look at Vitamin T's comments on his Gencon win and you'll see how close winning and losing a game is right now).

i for one am enjoying the game more now than i ever have. there are definitely some strong cards but i think they are limited or banned atm.



#4 DarkestWay

DarkestWay

    Member

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

I just started playing the game. But find it may be hard to find players in the NJ area I wish FFG had a store out here.



#5 grille

grille

    Member

  • Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

painnen said:

 

my version of DE is alot like Vitamin T's so i don't find it worth posting. i suspect this is very much the same for everyone out there. we all have the same ideas and there are only so many options.

 i also think that we are in a state of balance right now. that means Timmy the Powergamer can't stroke his ego and post his new "uber leet deck of awesomesauce" and be crowned king of WHI. so they don't post. or not until someone claims to have found the aforementioned "uber l33t deck of awesomesauce" and Timmy comes on, copies the deck, playtests it a dozen times, and then comes on here to bash it to pieces.

i think that's how CCG websites generate buzz. this game is HIGHLY competitive right now and a good draw or a lucky rip off the top of your deck might be what it takes to win a game or two. (just look at Vitamin T's comments on his Gencon win and you'll see how close winning and losing a game is right now).

i for one am enjoying the game more now than i ever have. there are definitely some strong cards but i think they are limited or banned atm.

 

 

Great post. Lot of points in it that I see the same.



#6 Shindulus

Shindulus

    Member

  • Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

A good point should to find a way to make it easier for a new player to start a LCG game as this game is "old". I mean make it possible for a new player to play in a competitive format whereas he does not have each card.

Some restricted tournament like  : Core set + last 6 BP cycle + last expansion

And still let possible to have "full cards" tournaments.

 

It's the main reason why I don't play AGoT.

 

 

 



#7 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

    Member

  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

I think to breathe new life into the game the next deluxe expansion should be a filler of cards full playsets of the core AU and the corruption cycle easyier on the pocket book and helps those competive but can't afford 3 core sets for all the cards.  I know it doesn't matter to have 3 bloodthirsters but c'mon at some point i will run a deck with so many high cost cards i'll lose cause i can't play any of them.  But my group has a hard time some of them do really want three of some of the cards that onlyh come 1 to a set

 

 

just my 2 cents



#8 f7eleven

f7eleven

    Member

  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

 It's a pain getting into an LCG, at least competitively, yeah.  But there's more going on here than just that.   The News section of this site dedicates less and less to this game, as weeks go by with no new news.  The posts in the forums are now few and far between.... It was a full 8 days between posts in this section recently.  I think more and more competitive players are leaving the game, me included.  It sucks.  The game could be great.. The battle packs and previews for future battle packs keep giving us more and more unplayable cards.  I followed this game competitively for 18+ months despite having NO ONE TO PLAY WITH, but now the designers and marketers are just bringing this game down.

I made the move to AGoT a couple months ago, bit the bullet and invested several hundred dollars and I've probably played 10x the amount of games as I had of WHI in 18+ months.  OMG! People go to leagues! There are tournaments and people travel for them!  Guys in the area regularly meet up just to test and play!

This game is just in a funk right now, and FFG needs to step up if they want to save it.  Or continue what they're doing to the game and watch players leave for greener pastures.



#9 Red Nickolai

Red Nickolai

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

I just started playing and I love this game.  I was a fan of magic back in the day when it wasn't an endless money burn, so I've really loved all the LCG's because they're much more balanced and I don't lose my rent trying to keep up with new additions.  With that said it's hard finding people to play with/know about it because it doesn't get the placement that Magic does in local stores.  Oh well.  Anytime anyone wants to play in the Memphis area let me know!



#10 Mouse_PL

Mouse_PL

    Member

  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

Just Da Brülla said:

Like the title says, Im a little bit scared about the future of our great game. I have the feeling, that the community get weaker and weaker, less people join the game (or even stopped to play) and the Forums are nearly dead. Is that only my opinion or is this a real happening?

What is with FFG? Why get the support with news worser? Is the game not lucrative enough to hold it on after the 4th circle?

What is your opinions and feelings about that topic?

Greetings from Germany, Brülla

 

Just because ppl don`t write stuff on forums, that doesn`t mean they gave up playing the game.

What is it that you expect from FFG ? As far as I know the local distributor is responsible for tournament support and organized play. 

 



#11 ktei2008

ktei2008

    Member

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:55 AM

Hey, man, what are you talking about? I just bought this game and I only played twice. From my point of view, this game is just marvelous! I LOVE it. Don't say this game is dying. How could it be?



#12 Doc9

Doc9

    Member

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

ktei2008 said:

Hey, man, what are you talking about? I just bought this game and I only played twice. From my point of view, this game is just marvelous! I LOVE it. Don't say this game is dying. How could it be?

 

Don't listen to the doomsayers. We don't get the updates we should be getting, but I don't think that that means the game is dying. And you're right, the game is marvelous. Welcome.



#13 Kaine82

Kaine82

    Member

  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:12 AM

The game is growing like crazy in my area. It is much more popular than any of the other LCGs.


Play LCGs in Louisville KY :: Monthly tournaments at 2 locations!

Wednesdays :: Something2Do :: 6:30PM - 10:00PM

Fridays :: BluegrassMagic GameShop :: 6:30 PM - Midnight

RSVP :: meetup.com/cardboardgamers


#14 ktei2008

ktei2008

    Member

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

Doc9 said:

ktei2008 said:

 

Hey, man, what are you talking about? I just bought this game and I only played twice. From my point of view, this game is just marvelous! I LOVE it. Don't say this game is dying. How could it be?

 

 

 

Don't listen to the doomsayers. We don't get the updates we should be getting, but I don't think that that means the game is dying. And you're right, the game is marvelous. Welcome.

You mean the update is slow? It has a lot expansion packs already from my point of view, but that might be because I'm still new to this game. Actually, I think there will be more and more updates simply because this game is really fun and strategic.



#15 ktei2008

ktei2008

    Member

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

Doc9 said:

ktei2008 said:

 

Hey, man, what are you talking about? I just bought this game and I only played twice. From my point of view, this game is just marvelous! I LOVE it. Don't say this game is dying. How could it be?

 

 

 

Don't listen to the doomsayers. We don't get the updates we should be getting, but I don't think that that means the game is dying. And you're right, the game is marvelous. Welcome.

And in fact, I came here from AGoT forum... I've been playing AGoT for a few months and I've nearly bought all the expansion packs of it. AGoT is fabulous without doubt, but it's a long-running game and a multiple player game might need 2-4 hours to finish, which makes me feel exhausted after that. However, this game is much faster and it's very competitive for 2 players, meaning usually no one would win at an absolute advantage. Anyway, FFG's card games are great, lol.



#16 Doc9

Doc9

    Member

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:36 AM

I meant we do not get news updates as frequently as we should or as frequently as the other LCG's do.



#17 DaRKeR

DaRKeR

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

I think that FFG dont support WHI, they dont give nothing for tournamnets, you need to pay for everything, such things like Achivment cards, posters, small capitals should be free, and should be given on every tournament for the ppl.

 

In our country we have League, big tournaments, many players etc. everything thx to our publisher of the game.



#18 grille

grille

    Member

  • Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

DaRKeR said:

In our country we have League, big tournaments, many players etc. everything thx to our publisher of the game.

Yeah and that makes the difference between 4-6 (around here) and 60 player tournaments. Guess it's profitable to invest a little because it attracts way more people to play and buy whi products. Other publishers should learn from this.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS