Jump to content



Photo

Chapter Pack Question


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SatyrnFive

SatyrnFive

    Member

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

I haven't been able to find a definite answer on this but are the chapter packs fixed so they are 2 each of the 20 cards or does it follow some other rule?

 



#2 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

SatyrnFive said:

I haven't been able to find a definite answer on this but are the chapter packs fixed so they are 2 each of the 20 cards or does it follow some other rule?

 

They are fixed in this manner:

10 cards are 3x (something like commons)

10 cards are 1x (something like rares).

So, for a complete set, you'd buy 3 of each CP (even if in this manner, you'll got 9 of each "common").

I usually buy just 1 of each and trade the "singles" I need.



#3 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

    Rules Guru

  • Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

Is this the chapter pack for the old system or part of the new core game?

I want to get in to this, but really can't get a definitive answer where to start.



#4 Old Ben

Old Ben

    Member

  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:40 AM

ColtsFan76 said:

Is this the chapter pack for the old system or part of the new core game?

I want to get in to this, but really can't get a definitive answer where to start.

 

The core set and every card that was released a s a chapter pack is part of the LCG system, it was confirmed a while ago by FFG Paul.

See: www.agameofthrones.com/agotforums/posts/list/14798.page



#5 Lars

Lars

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:14 AM

Start at the core set. Then if you like it get he chapter packs. I'll see if i can find my post on the old forums with my CP amount reccomendations.



#6 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

I'm just buying three of each chapter pack, and using the extra commons to make simple demo decks to try to get people interested.



#7 Lars

Lars

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:39 AM

found it.

 

However, you should get the older Chapter packs if you can (there are some on ebay and online stores like ccgarmory). Here is a list of them with my thoughts on the minimum you should have of them:

The War of Five Kings - At least one, probably 2 (Pyromancer's cache is banned so i'm not sure you need 3x of these anymore)

Ancient Enemies - 3x (solid events and solid characters all around, you will have 3x of the plots, which you might not need right now, but when you start making multiple decks for a specific house it will be nice to have multiple plots)

Sacred Bonds - 3x (you will want 3x of the 'to be a...' events)

Epic Battles - 1x (the events in this one are iffy right now, if you want to experiment with them then get 3x)

The Battle of Ruby Ford - 2-3 (depends on what house you will play, i.e. 3x for stark, 2x for targ, and if you like the nuetral characters)

Calling the Banners - 2-3 (again depending on what house you play, lannister probably wants 3x of this one)

The winter and summer CPs will be coming out soon (we hope ) and i would recommend 3x of each of those.



#8 webslinger9

webslinger9

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:16 AM

I heard from somewhere that the borders on the first set of chapter packs is black, while all the new core set stuff is white.  Is this true?  Do they plan on reprinting them with white?  I know it's not a huge deal to some, but I do prefer when my cards match.  I remember in Magic they did the same thing and I stopped playing.



#9 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

webslinger9 said:

I heard from somewhere that the borders on the first set of chapter packs is black, while all the new core set stuff is white.  Is this true?  Do they plan on reprinting them with white?  I know it's not a huge deal to some, but I do prefer when my cards match.  I remember in Magic they did the same thing and I stopped playing.

 

It's true--the Call to Arms chapter packs are all black-border cards, whereas the core set and future chapter packs feature white-border cards. No clue about them reprinting them in white form, but if they do, I imagine it won't be for quite some time.



#10 Kennon

Kennon

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

While some of the cards may eventually be reprinted in future releases, I believe FFG said that Chapter Packs as a whole would not be reprinted.

And you're not the first player to hate white borders by a long shot....



#11 ktom

ktom

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

Kennon said:

And you're not the first player to hate white borders by a long shot....

Careful there, Kennon. He didn't say he hated white borders; he said he hated when the cards didn't match without expressing a preference for the actual color. ~You may be projecting.



#12 CATS

CATS

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

ktom said:

Kennon said:

And you're not the first player to hate white borders by a long shot....

 

Careful there, Kennon. He didn't say he hated white borders; he said he hated when the cards didn't match without expressing a preference for the actual color. ~You may be projecting.

Yeah, I second that. From the way he writes he would rather have them reprint the old stuff with white borders so everathing matches. Would be easier to put it as a preference for white borders.



#13 Lars

Lars

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:57 AM

I still want house specific border colors, those are the only one's that i'd have an opinion on one way or the other.



#14 Kennon

Kennon

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

CATS said:

ktom said:

 

Kennon said:

And you're not the first player to hate white borders by a long shot....

 

Careful there, Kennon. He didn't say he hated white borders; he said he hated when the cards didn't match without expressing a preference for the actual color. ~You may be projecting.

 

 

Yeah, I second that. From the way he writes he would rather have them reprint the old stuff with white borders so everathing matches. Would be easier to put it as a preference for white borders.

 

Actually, you guys may have skipped this because it mentions Magic, but he did say that he quit that game when they started reprinting in white. Thus a reasonable assumption on my part that he dislikes white borders.



#15 ktom

ktom

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

Kennon said:

Actually, you guys may have skipped this because it mentions Magic, but he did say that he quit that game when they started reprinting in white. Thus a reasonable assumption on my part that he dislikes white borders.

 

Didn't skip it. I just read the whole M:tG thing ("I know it's not a huge deal to some, but I do prefer when my cards match.  I remember in Magic they did the same thing and I stopped playing.") as an objection to a second color, not to white specifically. There's a difference between saying "card borders should match" (as I read it) and saying "card borders should match and not be white" (as you seem to have read it). I was needling you for adding a color preference that didn't seem supported by the original post to me.



#16 Buatha

Buatha

    Member

  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

wampa8jedi said:

webslinger9 said:

 

I heard from somewhere that the borders on the first set of chapter packs is black, while all the new core set stuff is white.  Is this true?  Do they plan on reprinting them with white?  I know it's not a huge deal to some, but I do prefer when my cards match.  I remember in Magic they did the same thing and I stopped playing.

 

 

 

It's true--the Call to Arms chapter packs are all black-border cards, whereas the core set and future chapter packs feature white-border cards. No clue about them reprinting them in white form, but if they do, I imagine it won't be for quite some time.

Did you mean the Clash of Arms's (and not Call to Arms) six Chapter Packs are all black-bordered?  I happen to be the weird person who hates things that don't match.



#17 Ruvion

Ruvion

    Member

  • Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Yes. The first CP cycle is all black bordered.

Avoid it like the plague if you are weird.

 



#18 Lars

Lars

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:32 AM

i'm glad i'm not a 'matching' person. I'm still using the old template of lots of cards along with my black and white borders (and honestly i don't even notice borders).



#19 jmccarthy

jmccarthy

    Member

  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:43 AM

Buatha said:

I happen to be the weird person who hates things that don't match.

More power to you, fellow weird person.  I found myself looking at images of various Epic Battle cards from A Clash of Arms yesterday, and wishing they were white-bordered so that I could play with them.  Sadly, as cool and as Nedly as many of those cards are, I just can't bring myself to use black bordered cards. 

Sometimes its hard being a weird person, but who wants to be normal anyway? Normalcy is overrated.



#20 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

Well, you can always take a black permanent marker and make all your borders match.

I no longer notice the difference between white and black borders. I mean, they are there, but I just don't fixate on them. I'm sure I'd prefer it if they all matched, but they're all yin/yang now, and I guess I'm getting more accepting in my old age.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS