Miniature Scale

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jwmercer

jwmercer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Does anyone have an idea of the scale of the minis?  I have some of the WotC starship minis and I'd love to add to them for rpg gaming.

#2 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Short answers:

1. The FFG ships look to be 150-200% the size of their WotC counterparts.

2. If you want gaming minis for the RPG, don't buy these; they look to be costing a small fortune, and if you don't need the cards & templates, there's no need to spend that kind of money. Expand your WotC collection or get Titaniums.

#3 lingster

lingster

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:44 AM

It does look like they are smaller than the WOTC scaled minis.  Those are supposed to be 1 inch bases.

I was also told once that the minis they used were actually the WOTC ones redone a bit.

#4 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Nonono. Go to the discussion about the Gencon demos and look at the photos/videos, compare the minis to the size of the players' fingers. Look at the detail, the TIE fighters' solar panels, the slimness & resolution of the X-wings laser cannon. TOTALLY different models.

#5 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

lingster said:

It does look like they are smaller than the WOTC scaled minis.  Those are supposed to be 1 inch bases.

I was also told once that the minis they used were actually the WOTC ones redone a bit.

I have a couple of the twisted blobs of plastic that WotC says are supposed to be X-Wings...the FFG models looked much more crisp and detailed.

I hope (and assume) that they are completely different.

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

lingster said:

It does look like lingster has a problem with his visual perception.

I was also told once that lingster enjoys spreading misinformation for reasons thus far unknown.

#7 lingster

lingster

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

All I share is what I was told from someone who did the demo.

So if his info was wrong, then so be it.   I want to know the scale as much as another.  how big are these things?

#8 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

WELL! (claps hands together) Let's crunch some numbers, shall we? I loves crunchin' the numbers.

There's a couple scale threads going on, but this one seems to more directly address the simple question of the size of the FFG minis. We will use the X-Wing itself: the most basic of all Star Wars ships, the core of any collection and the title of this game. 

FIRST, we must establish the size of the X-Wing: it's generally placed at 12.5 meters (although, incredibly, even THIS seemingly-simple measurement is subject to debate, as Wookieepedia places it at 16 meters! However, we'll stick with 12.5 since virtually every other source I have places it there). Since we're going to be measuring miniatures, this converts to 12,500 mm.

Next, how big is the flippin' FFG ship. Well, first I had to find the video (it's Gencon day 1, if you're searching IJT's link), and then make an educated guess based on pauses & comparing minis to the gamers' hands. Granted, hands vary, but it's a good ballpark: my hands, from the center of the 2d knuckle to fingertip are just over 2" (about 2 1/8").  The X-Wings LOOK to be somewhere between 1 5/8" and 1 3/4", which is a range of 41 -45mm. So, if you just want to know how big the FFG minis are, that's pretty close to The Answer.

But, how does this compare to everything else? And what's the scale? We'll compare it to several other general-ballpark X-Wings:

F-TOYS. Advertised at 1/144 scale, the 89mm long ship translates to 1/140 scale. Not bad, F-Toys. Pretty close.

Titanium. God, that toy sucks! LOL. Look at those silly guns!! Anyway, the 78mm toy equates to 1/160 scale.

WotC (SSB). I have to admit, the FFG minis are closer to Wizards' than I would have thought. The 37mm X-Wing is 1/338 scale.

FFG. The range of 41-45mm makes the new models between 1/305 and 1/278 scale; bigger than WotC, but considerably smaller than a Hasbro Titanium.

Well you lot, that's the best I can do, but I would bet the numbers are pretty close.

#9 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

IG-58 said:

FFG. The range of 41-45mm makes the new models between 1/305 and 1/278 scale; bigger than WotC, but considerably smaller than a Hasbro Titanium.

To be honest, I doubt they'll be using a consistent scale for the Staw Wars models. Even in WoW they used two different scales: 1/144 and 1/200. For a dogfight game like this there's no need for a consistent scale. Imho, it makes more sense to pick the scale that allows you to end up with similarly sized models, regardless of the (fictitious) 'real' size.

#10 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

And part of the issue with many of the ships seen onscreen is that Mr. Lucas ddin't care much about scale in the beginning.  If you measure out the interior versus exterior shots of a lot of ships and locations, they do not match.  Many have retconned the stats to become somewhat consistent, but a lot of if is what "looks" right for scale to many people.  I would love to see an effort made for comparative size for the various ships down the road, but I think it will most likely be scaled to fit on the base so I don't want to get my hopes too high.  I'm not a huge stickler for scale since I've been conditioned by Hasbro (action figure size, titanium, action fleet, SSB, etc) in too many lines that scale is not the top factor in production lines.  I would love to be pleasantly surprised over the next months and years with FFG though.

@ IG58 - you and your math!  What a nerd!    (I do love reading your analyses of scale though)

#11 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

jhaelen said:

IG-58 said:

Even in WoW they used two different scales: 1/144 and 1/200.

Well, yes...but that was for two separate eras of fighters that would never go into combat with each other.   The WWI models were 1/144 and the WWII models were 1/200, right?

If the FFG Star Wars minis are no in scale with each other, it's not a deal breaker for me.  But I would much rather they were in scale.  I am a big fan of Fine Molds 1/72 and 1/48 scale Star Wars models because I have a thing about being able to visually compare the size of the ships.

#12 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Squid89 said:

@ IG58 - you and your math!  What a nerd!    (I do love reading your analyses of scale though)

IG is good with the scale stuff.  Now, if he can just learn not to place his settlements next to the desert in Cataan.  

#13 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

How's our vid comin anyway, Dog?

#14 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

Ah, how nice to be back at my computer and able to talk X-Wing!

Just have to throw in my two bits - I'm not an absolute stickler for scale, but I think that the figures' bases look to be wide/tough enough to hold figures of varying sizes, so I hope they stick as close as possible to one scale. This may be a problem when the B-wing comes along, but I hope they do. Particularly if this turns out to be a starfighter-only game!

And yes, I also love when IG-58 gets into the nitty-gritty! 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#15 GorFrag

GorFrag

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

Sadly talking Scale for a Sci Fi movie can be an exercise in futility. The Falcon herself changed scale several times in the making, the "Full" scale one was only about half scale.

Still if they get close (which is all they really can do) I'll be happy.

#16 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Oh, absolutely. Dimensions for the Millenium Falcon especially vary wildly. Then there's the question of, are you measuring the chassis of some vehicle or like from the guntip? Precision is nigh-impossible. But, you can still get in the ballpark, and that's what we 'purists' are looking for. Does it LOOK right? Am I getting the appearance of an appropriate scale?  Unlike the WotC game, where even ships in the same size-class didn't come close to matching up.

And there's a LOT to work with. This isn't going to be a mass-produced game where you get forty figures at a time. The lil' blighters will be spendy, and correspondingly less common. Snub fighters alone would keep FFG busy until the line eventually folds (as all things do), but it's perfectly feasable to include larger craft like B-Wings, MF/Outrider/Sith Infiltrator/Ebon Hawk/Slave-I/Lambda and so on. Really, there's no shortage of material - and I DON'T see this as trying to become a do-everything game where they toss in Corellian Corvettes and stuff.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS