Jump to content



Photo

help me build a blackmoor estate deck


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kamacausey

kamacausey

    Member

  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

im wanting to build a blackmoor estate deck but i dont know of very many cards that mill besides blackmoor estate. anyone care to chime in and help out a noob here? is there a viable blackmoor estate deck out there? is there even enough cards that mill in the game? im thinking of mixing yog and cthulhu or yog and hastur. whats the better combo for a deck like that?



#2 Phantom287

Phantom287

    Member

  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

kamacausey said:

im wanting to build a blackmoor estate deck but i dont know of very many cards that mill besides blackmoor estate. anyone care to chime in and help out a noob here? is there a viable blackmoor estate deck out there? is there even enough cards that mill in the game? im thinking of mixing yog and cthulhu or yog and hastur. whats the better combo for a deck like that?

I'm not too familiar with Yog's faction, but cures of stone and things in the ground would be good for milling, and you could recycle curse of stone with Yog-Sothoth's new version in the Yuggoth Contract Cycle. I would also reccomend putting in some fairly tough creatures for defence to prevent your opponent from winning stories while you're milling them (such as flying polyps from Yog-Sothoth's faction). I would also reccomend using Cthulhu, and his main priority could be story defense, either through strong creatures or destroying other creatures to keep the opponent well under control.

Their may be other mill cards, but those were certainly used to great effect to mill me out of the World Tournament at GenCon.



#3 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

 For Yog, you want things like Gatekeeper, Hermetic Scholar, Prism of Many Views, Things in the Ground, Wandering Gug, 

From Hastur, Carcosa, Painful Reflection, Predatory Byakhee, Sinister Clerk, 

Neutral:  Terrors in the Dark, Book of Black Stone,

Cards like Living Mummy are good at stopping people from going to stories while you work on getting rid of their deck too...

 



#4 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

kamacausey said:

im wanting to build a blackmoor estate deck but i dont know of very many cards that mill besides blackmoor estate.

I think what you really want is to install Nyarlazobec's Deck Builder application (eric.minet.free.fr/cocbuilder/index_en.htm).

It has advanced filtering options, so you can set it to give you a list of all cards that cause your opponent to discard cards or apply just about any other search criteria you can think of.



#5 Darkman

Darkman

    Member

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Ok, not much to do at work, here it comes:

3 Blackmore estate
3 Twilight gate
2 Living Mummy
3 Hermetic scholar
3 Cannibal ghast
2 Faceless abductor
2 The Large man
3 Calling down the Ancients

 

Yog 21


2 Feeding time
3 Harvesting Mi-Go
3 Eat the dead
2 Ancient guardian
3 Hungry dark young
3 Ghoul taint
2 Shocking transformation
3 Come to the altar
1 Glimpse of the Void
3 Priestess of Bubastis
2 Basil Elton (not yet released!!)

Shub 27

2 The Mage known as Magnus

Neutral 2

Total 50

I don’t like to build straightforward decks with the same cards everyone uses. I therefore, mainly focused on your card, Blackmoor Estate and came with the following deck idea:

• Create one massive domain to use for Blackmoor Estate. Cards to use:
o Eat the dead
o Twilight Gate
o Harvesting Mi-Go
o Feeding time

The last two cards need characters in discard pile. We use Magnus, Shocking transformation, Living Mummy, Come to the Altar and Hermetic Scholar for this.

• Living Mummy is there for a total clean up. We get it to the discard pile by using CttA or etualShocking Transformation or by losing the combat struggle at a story.
• Hermatic Scholar for discarding opponents deck and get characters in discard pile for Harv Mi-Go and Feeding time
• Shocking transformation for cards like Ancient Guardian or a badly needed Mummy (or to activate Mummy)
• Come to the Altar is great for surprise defense and/or in combination with Hungry dark Young --> Play CttA, sacrifice character, put Hdy in play and put the just sacrificed character back in play or even better put Harvesting Mi-Go in play and attach the just sacrificed character to your big domain
• Ancient Guardian icm with Basil lets you use Blackmoor Estate twice in one turn, good for discarding about10 to 16 cards in one turn.
• Priestess is there for speeding things up and food for sacrifice cards
• Twilight gate is for surprise defense and for building up a big domain (take character from small domain, put into play, defend at story and at end of phase put it back as a resource on your big domain)
• The Mage known as Magus is really a great card. It lets you discard cards which will be used by Harvesting Mi-Go and Feeding Time and lets you destroy the character with eat the dead attached to it (or just an annoying character of your opponent)
• Ghoul Taint is just for stalling (cheap and effective)
• Glimpse of the Void = stalling
• Cannibal Ghast for early defense = stalling
• Faceless abductor is for re-using Hermetic Scholar and for defense
• Calling down the ancients is for defense or to destroy character with eat the dead attached to it
• Large man is for discarding (we wont go succeeding at stories) and for re-using all these great event cards (Feeding time, Shocking Trans, CttA, Twilight Gate, CdtA)
 

Maybe you need to add some changes regarding the amount of some cards but I think this could work nicely. Fun way to optimally use your Blackmoor, only problem is to draw it. You don't really need it early in the game as you are still building up that big domain. Getting it midgame should be soon enough and you can always use mulligan rule.

I thought about making it tri-faction and add Miskatonic. Itinerant Scholar and Museum Curator along with Faceless abductor is really a great addition but thats about it, maybe also perpetual silence should work nice but that costs 3 to play.



#6 deadeb

deadeb

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:16 AM

The most important card is Forgotten Shoggoth (Imho). For milling you can put Hermetic Scholar, Gatekeeper, Blackmore estate, Curse of the stone and Prism of Many Views into the deck. For fastening the deck you can put Gentleman's Club, Journey to the Other Side and All are One. You can put into Many-angled Thing, Faceless Abdutor, Simple Glimps and Ancient Skull for destroy. When your put down your Hermetic Scholar, Many-angled Thing into your domains, you can bounce them out with Twilight Gate (with 1 Hermetic Scholar and 3 Twilight Gate you can mill out 12 card from opponent player's deck, or 3 dead character with Many-angled Thing). Until you can play Forgotten Shoggoth out, you will discard lot of card, therefore use Unspeakable Resurection and Chant of Thot or you can use after shoggoth Speak to the Dead. And dont forgett the Doppelganger who can mimic anything on the table. Maybe you can put Revalation of spheres, Cho-cho tribes and Elder thing into your deck.

 



#7 deadeb

deadeb

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

Darkman: If you use shubi and want mill, you must use Shubb-Niggurath and her dark-young. You mill the dark-young out, than wiht the shocking transformation you search Shubbi, and bring the dark-young back from the discard pile.



#8 Darkman

Darkman

    Member

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:08 AM

Forgotten shoggoth is holding my deck back as I need characters in discard pile for Feeding Time and Harvesting Mi-go. Also Hungry dark young doenst mind discarding characters with printed cost 2 or lower

And yes I will also discard cards with Hermetic, but if I only use Blackmoor once, my opponent will be the first to empty his deck, not me. I dont care about discarding, I even want to discard. If I can play 3 copies of Twilight gate on my 'resourced' Hermetic Scholar I will not hesitate to do that even if it makes me discarding 12 cards.

Also Hermetic Scholar is the only card that forces me to also discard, no other card in my deck does this. I think its a bad thing to add a card (Forgotten Shoggoth) to my deck to prevent a negative effect of 3 other cards in my deck. Plus, its not really a negative thing.
Added: Of course there are some cards that do send my characters to the discard pile (Mummy, CttA, ST) but they do not actually discard from my deck. They effect the cards in play. Mummy will also not work when Forgotten Shoggoth is on the table.

I dont understand putting that many destruction cards in a deck along with Curse of the Stone. The key with curse of the Stone is to make your opponents characters immobile, not removing them. Think of cards like Muddy waters, Ghoul taint, Conspiracy Theorist, A single path, Gaze of Ghatanothoa, etc. But the best combo is getting out multiple copies of things in the ground. That can be devestating along with 1 or 2 curse of the stone's

I didnt look at all these cards because I wanted to create a deck with Blackmoor as the key card. Its a fun deck and hopefully at the same time also viable. I dislike to put Many Angled Thing and Doppelganger in every yog deck I make.



#9 Darkman

Darkman

    Member

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

deadeb said:

Darkman: If you use shubi and want mill, you must use Shubb-Niggurath and her dark-young. You mill the dark-young out, than wiht the shocking transformation you search Shubbi, and bring the dark-young back from the discard pile.

Shocking transformation = bring back a NON ancient one character. You can however use Under the Porch to get out Shubby but I dont think that strategy fits this deck.



#10 deadeb

deadeb

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:32 AM

Darkman: I don't no, but what will you do, when the opponent destroy your estate? Have you plan b?And plan b is not win the biggest resource of the world prize. Anything else? What will you do against a rush deck, which will win in the 4-5 rounds?

Why use the forgotten shoggot? Because good defender (invulnerability), and you use a card (faceless abductor, journey to the other side) with you can shuffle your card, what you put on the botton of your deck with shoggot. And when you meet with another mill deck, it can win the game for you.

Why use destruction card? You need to stop the opponent in the first 3-4 round. And you don't need put all of them in to the deck. I made just suggestion. You can leave angled-many thing out.

Why use Curse of the stone? Because it will punish the opponent, if he don't attack just stand in the back. And you can't destroy all of his character. With this card you can discard 2-3 cards from his deck. And who know, lot of 2-3-4 cards discard can win the match for you.

Why use Doppelganger? Because it can make your deck faster. It can imitate Hermetic scholar. That you don't want use it, thats your problem. O and i don't use doppelganger all of my yogi deck, but that is my problem.

I forgot to mention in my previus comment, Guardian of the Key, who can defend the Estate.

You don't have right, Blackmoore Estate key card in my deck too, but i don't put everything on one action like you, i killing opponent softly with this deck.

 



#11 Hellfury

Hellfury

    Member

  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

This deck needs to be updated with a few cards like The Large Man and Many-angled Thing, but it is a functional Yog mill deck that is a few months old.

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/cocdecks.html/_/coc-decks/abeyance-oblivion-r29

 

The updated deck would look something like this:

Character
Doppelganger (TWB) x3
Faceless Abductor (TOotST) x3
Guardian of the Key (SftSK) x3
Many-angled Thing (TGS) x3
Evolving Shoggoth (IotF) x3
Constricting Elder Thing (IotF) x3
Hermetic Scholar (SoA) x3
The Large man (TSS) x2
Yog-Sothoth (SfW) x2

Support
Snow Graves (AtMoM) x2
Prism of Many Views (TTB) x2
Terrors in the Dark (SoA) x3
Things in the Ground (SoA) x3

Event
A Single Glimpse (Core) x3
Calling Down the Ancients (SoA) x3
Curse of the Stone (TWB) x3
Speak to the Dead (WitD) x3
Opening the Limbo Gate (Core) x3

 



#12 Darkman

Darkman

    Member

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

deadeb said:

 

Darkman: I don't no, but what will you do, when the opponent destroy your estate? Have you plan b?And plan b is not win the biggest resource of the world prize. Anything else? What will you do against a rush deck, which will win in the 4-5 rounds?

 

 

Destroying my estate could be a problem. But I will hold my second Estate in my hand untill the first gets destroyed. Two estates in play is worthless. Also I thought about adding Guardian of the Key, maybe it should be added in indeed for some extra protection.

There are several cards I added to the deck just to defend myself against rush decks

- Come to the Alter and Twilight Gate and for surprise defense
- Cannibal Ghast
- Ghoul taint
- Faceless abductor
- Calling down the ancienst
- Glimpse of the Void

I think thats quite a lot of cards to make a stand against rush decks.
 

deadeb said:

 

Why use the forgotten shoggot? Because good defender (invulnerability), and you use a card (faceless abductor, journey to the other side) with you can shuffle your card, what you put on the botton of your deck with shoggot. And when you meet with another mill deck, it can win the game for you.

 

 

Invulnerability is nice but can easily be removed nowadays, I dont understand the second part of your motivation,

Another mill deck could be a problem, Don't know if this deck can beat other mill decks. Should try it out once.

deadeb said:

 

Why use destruction card? You need to stop the opponent in the first 3-4 round. And you don't need put all of them in to the deck. I made just suggestion. You can leave angled-many thing out.

Why use Curse of the stone? Because it will punish the opponent, if he don't attack just stand in the back. And you can't destroy all of his character. With this card you can discard 2-3 cards from his deck. And who know, lot of 2-3-4 cards discard can win the match for you.

 

 

I just wanted to state that a mill deck that makes use of Curse of the Stone is better off creating a lockdown then character removal. Sure,its always nice to have some character removal cards but I won't put in that many.

deadeb said:

 

Why use Doppelganger? Because it can make your deck faster. It can imitate Hermetic scholar. That you don't want use it, thats your problem. O and i don't use doppelganger all of my yogi deck, but that is my problem.

 

 

Doppelganger is a nice card but I dont believe it makes my deck faster when it copies a Hermetic Scholar, a 3 cost character. I do want to use it sometimes but as I said before this is a fun deck and should play a little different then most decks. This deck defintitly will not win the worlds but thats not the purpose of this deck. Also in this deck, doppelganger is not a critical card which really should be added. The key card is Blackmoor Estate, not characters. And I already have 5 or 6 cards that can recycle my Hermetic Scholar (Twilight Gate and Faceless abductor). That should be enough.

deadeb said:

 

I forgot to mention in my previus comment, Guardian of the Key, who can defend the Estate.

You don't have right, Blackmoore Estate key card in my deck too, but i don't put everything on one action like you, i killing opponent softly with this deck.

 

 

You are right about Guardian, this will protect my Blackmoor. Especially as I put everything on this card as you already mentioned. I know this, Again, its not a straightforward deck, its not the best deck but it should be fun draining a domain (twice in one turn!) with 8 or so resources attached to it.



#13 Darkman

Darkman

    Member

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

double post



#14 Hellfury

Hellfury

    Member

  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

Darkman said:

I just wanted to state that a mill deck that makes use of Curse of the Stone is better off creating a lockdown then character removal. Sure,its always nice to have some character removal cards but I won't put in that many.

I disagree. Character removal is essential. Sure you want to have a lot of insane characters on the otherside of the table to abuse curse of the stone, but you want characters running to the stories even less.

Curse of the stone/Things in the ground is a great combo, but you have to try and ablate the damage from rush. Curse of the stone/things in the ground is just an alternate mill strategy that can still work quite well with character removal.



#15 kamacausey

kamacausey

    Member

  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hellfury said:

This deck needs to be updated with a few cards like The Large Man and Many-angled Thing, but it is a functional Yog mill deck that is a few months old.

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/cocdecks.html/_/coc-decks/abeyance-oblivion-r29

 

The updated deck would look something like this:

Character
Doppelganger (TWB) x3
Faceless Abductor (TOotST) x3
Guardian of the Key (SftSK) x3
Many-angled Thing (TGS) x3
Evolving Shoggoth (IotF) x3
Constricting Elder Thing (IotF) x3
Hermetic Scholar (SoA) x3
The Large man (TSS) x2
Yog-Sothoth (SfW) x2

Support
Snow Graves (AtMoM) x2
Prism of Many Views (TTB) x2
Terrors in the Dark (SoA) x3
Things in the Ground (SoA) x3

Event
A Single Glimpse (Core) x3
Calling Down the Ancients (SoA) x3
Curse of the Stone (TWB) x3
Speak to the Dead (WitD) x3
Opening the Limbo Gate (Core) x3

 

what about blackmoor estate?



#16 Darkman

Darkman

    Member

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hellfury said:

Darkman said:

I just wanted to state that a mill deck that makes use of Curse of the Stone is better off creating a lockdown then character removal. Sure,its always nice to have some character removal cards but I won't put in that many.

 

I disagree. Character removal is essential. Sure you want to have a lot of insane characters on the otherside of the table to abuse curse of the stone, but you want characters running to the stories even less.

Curse of the stone/Things in the ground is a great combo, but you have to try and ablate the damage from rush. Curse of the stone/things in the ground is just an alternate mill strategy that can still work quite well with character removal.

I dont think character removal is essential IF you make it impossible for your opponent to go out on a full attack at all three stories. As I said, some character removal is always necesseray in a mill deck but it doesnt have to be the main focus.

If using Titg with Curse of the Stone I really like to go for Yog/Cthulhu. Some character removal along with muddy waters, Gaze of Ghatanothoa and A Single Path. Maybe some Dark Quagmire to slow down your opponent in getting those stories. A Ravenger also scares an opponent enough to postpone his attack. So he does remove when triggered but he wont because his presence alone prevents your opponent from committing. Also "Called to the sea" is a great card when it becomes available. I should focus on these type of cards, I still would play some character removal but not that many as you see in the standard mill decks. 

For removal my first choice will be Sacrificial Offerings in stead of Yog removal cards as it is cheap, I get to choose which character to remove and I dont play much characters myself. With Yog removal cards I dont get to choose the target and that could be a bad thing if I already played some Gaze of Ghatanothoa on my opponents characters



#17 Hellfury

Hellfury

    Member

  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

kamacausey said:

 

what about blackmoor estate?

Whoops! My bad. Messed that up when transcribing it from another deck.

Replace the 2 snow graves and 1 limbo gate for 3 blackmoors.

If curse of the stone/things in the ground combo is not your cup of tea, replace them with 3 blackmoors and 3 Tcho-Tcho Tribes or 3 flying polyps would be my recomendation.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS