coc deck strategy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kamacausey

kamacausey

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

ok guys like ive stated in a previous thread i am brand new to coc. however, i am not brand new to card games. i have been playing card games competitively for many years. ive played the world of warcraft card game since the beginning, i play magic,  i play an awesome but kind of under the radar card game called warlord(check this one out its awesome) so i have a deep history in card games. im a noob to coc but not card games in general. this history tends to help me out when i try to pick up and figure out new card games. for instance i can look at deep one rising or shotgun blast and see that they are really really good cards where maybe a new person to card games wouldnt see that from the beginning. i tend to pick up card games pretty easily but for me to get ahead on the learning curve and be a long time player of this game i need some help from you guys. i need some general deck strategy for coc. like how many characters is generally the norm for a deck in this game? what card types are the most played? why? locations seem to be a big card type played. im guessing because they are pretty powerful overall. in card games anything that gets to stay on the field and used over and over is typically really good. besides locations what else is played a lot? now im aware that different decks play different things but im just looking for generic things about deck building for this game in general. here is what i know about card games:

1. always play the minimum amount of cards allowed

2. removal is good

3. cards that stay in play and have a lasting effect are powerful and are the ones that tend to see lots of play

4. card draw is good

i keep these 4 things in mind when building decks for card games and it tends to do well for me. this card game is very different from any other card game i have played before though(kinda why im so intrigued) so i need the communitys help with some deck strategy. any help would be much appreciated. 

thanks in advance,

-kamacausey

#2 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

Did you look at the GenCon World Championship deck list thread? You might get some ideas there?

#3 kamacausey

kamacausey

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

i did and i replyed in there as well but all people did was post their lists. no one is explaining what their deck strategy was. it may be easy to figure out for seasoned veterans but not noobs like myself. and is there a way to link card tags to all the cards because going back and forth between the cthulhu dabbler and the decklists is exhausting.

#4 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

I'm fairly new to COC also, but from what I've been studying 30 characters in a deck is pretty standard.  Little more, little less here and there, but 30-ish seems to be the current game normal.

#5 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Interesting question about deck strategy...  When I work on a deck, I start by trying to figure out a victory condition.  If it is my Miskatonic build, then my strategy might be to get as many Investigators out as quickly as possible to swarm the stories.  If I can get many of them out, I don't care if some die and some go insane.  So I look for card draw and cost reduction mechanisms, plus lots of cheap characters.

In my Agency deck, my plan is to eliminate as many opponents as possible but still have strong characters left.  For example I was intrigued by Catastrophic Explosion, so needed to have high skill characters so that when I blew things up I might have some survivors on my side but my opponent has none.

Yog Sothoth is close to having a viable alternate victory condition strategy (make opponent discard their entire deck).  Not quite yet, but getting close, and perhaps even better when teamed with Hastur.  Such a build would focus on discard, of course, plus ways to stop the opponent from winning stories.  This deck doesn't need to win any stories, but needs to stop the opponent, so cards like Guardian Pillar and Cavern of Flame look very nice.

Cards that can do things when they come into play are very attractive to me - Victoria Glasser is good in a Hastur deck as she drives someone insane when she enters.  If I have something like Enchanted Forest, then it could be anyone.  This leads me to want Victoria's Protege so that I can do it again.  Then maybe I want something to play with insane characters, like Brain Transplant or Julia Brown: Insomniac.

Basically when I build a deck, I find some key card or strategy that I like and then try to create synergy around that strategy. That plus putting in "good" cards, like Descendent of Eibon or Diseased Sewer Rats that are just generally good support for any deck.

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

kamacausey said:

i did and i replyed in there as well but all people did was post their lists. no one is explaining what their deck strategy was. it may be easy to figure out for seasoned veterans but not noobs like myself. and is there a way to link card tags to all the cards because going back and forth between the cthulhu dabbler and the decklists is exhausting.

Your experience with other (collectible) card games should serve you well. The only pretty unique aspect of CoC is the resourcing. The CoC strategy article series on this very site should be a good starting point. Otherwise I'd recommend to play as often as you can if you want to improve. I know from (painful) experience that it makes a lot of a difference if a particular deck is played by an expert player or a beginner

#7 kamacausey

kamacausey

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

yea the resourcing in this game is pretty similar to wow. you are allowed to resource a card in your hand every turn by playing it facedown.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS