After the first successful playtest of my custom Mass Effect races on the ti3wiki, I've spent a lot of time rethinking the abilities. My goals were to a) come up with all-original abilities for the 8 races that aren't super-powered, b) make everything make more sense with the Mass Effect universe canon, now that I've played ME2, and c) to balance some flaws in the original set so that hopefully the races are on roughly equal footing
Please feel free to check these out and tell me what you think. Staying true to the Mass Effect theme is my primary concern, but I'm also worried that on the whole, what I've got is overpowered compared to the FFG races. I don't mind if they're better than the crappy races, but I hope none of these look too beefy when compared with Jol-Nar, Hacan, and Yssaril.
General rules to be used with these races:
- Dreadnaughts cost 2 production capacity, and roll 2 combat dice in combat when undamaged.
- Mecatol Rex is renamed "The Citadel". It is a 1,6 planet within a Nebula. Ground Forces on the Citadel may ignore the first two hits of any enemy bombardment.
- Bureaucratic Maneuvering: During the Strategy phase, before Strategy Cards are chosen, you may place your race marker on a Strategy Card. When another player attempts to take that Strategy Card, you may force him to pay 3 influence or choose a different card instead.
- Political Influence: Once per round as an action, you may choose a Political card from your hand or from the top three cards of the deck. A vote immediately takes place on this agenda
Starting Techs: Enviro Compensators, Sarween Tools
Racial Tech: Biotic Commandos (5 resources): When an opponent activates a system containing any of your units or planets, you may immediately choose one of his non-home planets. Exhaust that planet and destroy up 2 GF, 1 ST, or 1 PDS unit there
Homeworld: Thessia (2,3) Aperanti (1,2)
Starting Units: (12) 1 Dreadnaught, 1 Carrier, 1 Cruiser, 2 Fighters, 2 GF, 1 SD
Leaders: Diplomat, Diplomat, Agent
- Pre-emptive Strike: At the beginning of each game round, you may spend 1 CC from Strategy to act on initiative count 0 instead of your normal initiative count for that turn only
- Research Focus: Your planetary technology specialties are worth +1 discount and may be used even when exhausted
Starting Techs: Enviro Compensators, Antimass Deflectors, Hyper Metabolism
Racial Tech: – Ultraviolet Lasers (3 resources): Your Cruisers gain the Anti-Fighter Barrage ability.
Homeworld: Sur'Kesh (3,4) Yellow tech specialty
Starting Units: (12.5) 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, 2 Fighters, 3 GF, 2 PDS, 1 SD
Leaders: Scientist, Agent, Diplomat
- Treaty of Farixen: You start with an extra Command Counter in your Fleet Supply
- Overwhelming Odds: During a Tactical Action, you may ignore your Fleet Supply until the end of the Space Battle step. Ships in excess of your Fleet Supply must then retreat to an adjacent activated friendly or empty system or be destroyed
- Declare War: During the strategy phase, you may spend 1 Command Counter from your Strategic Allocation pool to choose a player. You gain a +1 to all combat rolls against that player this round.
Starting Techs: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets
Racial Tech: Communications Deck (2 resources) Your Dreadnaughts do not count towards your Fleet Supply
Homeworld: Palavan (4,2)
Starting Units: (13.5) 1 Dreadnaught, 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, 3 Fighters, 2 Ground Forces, 1 Space Dock
Leaders: Admiral, General, Diplomat
- Expansionist: When you take control of a planet, you may place 1 free GF on that planet
- Armored Carriers: Your carriers roll +1 in combat and have the Sustain Damage ability
- Internal Emission Sink: Light Wave Deflectors only applies to your Cruisers and Destroyers until you acquire the Magen Defense Grid technology
Starting Techs: Hylar V Assault Lasers, Antimass Deflectors, Light Wave Deflectors
Racial Tech: Parallel VI Array (4 resources) You may reorganize your Command Counters freely during your turn
Homeworld: Earth (3,1), Arcturus Station (0,2)
Starting Units: (12) 1 Carrier, 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 4 Fighters, 4 Ground Forces, 1 Space Dock
Leaders: Admiral, Diplomat, Scientist
- Battle Masters: Your Ground Forces have +1 to all combat rolls and gain the Sustain Damage ability. You may never have more than 12 Ground Force Units at a time.
- Unstoppable: You are immune to any effect that would force you to activate a system using a Command Counter from your reinforcements
Starting Techs: Enviro Compensators, Stasis Capsules
Racial Tech: Evolved Reproduction (3 resources) – There is no limit to the number of Ground Force units you may have.
Homeworld: Tuchenka (1,1) Kruban (3,0)
Starting Units: (12.5) 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, 3 GF, 3 Fighters, 1 PDS, 1 Space Dock
Leaders: General, General, Admiral
- Migrant Fleet: At the start of the game, place the Migrant Fleet token in your Home System. The Migrant Fleet is a (1,2) planet that is always considered to have a Space Dock. It may not support PDS. It cannot be claimed, bombarded or invaded, but if alone with enemy ships is exhausted and considered blockaded. The system with the Migrant Fleet is always considered your home system. You may choose to consider the Migrant Fleet a ship with movement 1, unless it is blockaded. You may move and produce in the same action.
- Flotilla: You have no Fleet Supply limit in your Home System
- Strip Mining: During the Status Phase you may choose leave any number of your planets exhausted and receive Trade Goods equal to the resource value of those planets.
Starting Techs: Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters,
Racial Tech: Overload (2 resources): Before any Space Battle or Invasion Combat in which you are participating, you may choose one Technology advance held by your opponent. Your opponent loses the benefits of that advance until the end of the combat.
Homeworld: Leyya (2,0), Migrant Fleet (1,2)
Starting Units: (12.5) 2 Carriers, 1 Cruiser, 6 Fighters, 3 GF, 1 Space Dock
Leaders: Admiral, Admiral, Scientist
- Criminal Contacts: After any opponent plays or discards an Action Card, you may spend 2 TG to take that card into your hand.
- Blitz: During any Space Battle or Invasion Combat in which you are the attacker, your opponents may not play Action Cards (other than Sabotage) until the beginning of the second combat round
- Slaver Raids: Planets you are blockading do not refresh during the status phase
Starting Techs: Enviro Compensators, Antimass Deflectors
Racial Tech: Kinetic Impacters (4 resources) During planetary bombardments, you may spend a Command Counter from your Strategic Allocation area to destroy half of the opposing Ground Forces.
Homeworld: Kharshan (1,1), Camala (3,1)
Starting Units: (12) 2 Cruisers, 1 Carrier, 3 Fighters, 3 GF, 1 PDS, 1 SD
Leaders: Scientist, Agent, Agent
- Behind the Perseus Veil: You may ignore the movement restrictions of Nebulas. Your opponents do not gain the +1 bonus to their combat rolls while defending against you inside a Nebula.
- Dropships: Your Ground Forces are immune to PDS fire during Invasion Combat. After the bombardment step of an Invasion Combat, you may choose to land additional Ground Forces and PDS units.
Starting Techs: Hylar V Assault Laser, Stasis Capsules, Cybernetics
Racial Tech: Invasion Pods (5 resources) - During your turn, you may choose to execute planetary landings and invasion combat before the Space Battle step
Homeworld: Nebula System, Rannoch (1,0), Algenib (3,0)
Starting Units: (13.5) 1 Dreadnaught, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, 4 Fighters, 5 GF, 1 SD
Leaders: Scientist, General, Agent