Best Media Dogfights

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

So what are peoples favourite movie/book/anime dogfights?

I'm quite fond of the action in the Sky Crawlers movie:-

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I'm quite fond of the X-wing series. In fact, I've read them multiple times. Though I'll admit that the dogfighting is only average; it's when Rogue Squadron goes up against larger targets that things really heat up.

I never got into Battlestar Galactica because it's too risque for me, but that first engagement against the Cylons where Starbuck barely makes it back into the hangar in time: that scene just blew my mind! It's one of my favorite starfighter combat scenes ever.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'm going to have to go crawl through my video library to see if I can stir my memory.  Most of the good starship combat on the big screen lately seems to be capital ships, at least that I can instantly remember.   And the only fighter combat I can remember recently is from "Flyboys", "Der Rote Baron" or computer games.

I agree that BG had some good scenes.  I seem to remember  being impressed by some of the fights in Babylon5, but I haven't viewed them recently.  I have a sentimental place in my heart for "The Last Starfighter", and the recent "Tron" dogfight was pretty good.

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I don't think it can be called a 'dogfight', but that whole sequence in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy and Henry Jones escape the zeppelin in the biplane, make their way to the ground, steal a car, get bombed, and ultimately use seagulls to win the battle is one of the greatest (and most hilarious) pseudo-dogfight film sequences ever! 

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

bsmith13 said:

I have a sentimental place in my heart for "The Last Starfighter", and the recent "Tron" dogfight was pretty good.

Oh, I totally agree with you on both counts! I had completely forgotten about "The Last Starfighter," and I just recently watched "Tron: Legacy" again. So cool.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

McQueen taking on "Chiggy von Richtofen" in Space: Above and Beyond was a good story arc, and a good fight.

• AllDeadDave likes this

#7 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

Wow!  I had completely forgotten about S:AAB!  I'm going to go see if I can find those on Netflix or amazon...

#8 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

I bought the whole series on DVD from Shopko (of all places; I hate that store) a while back. Look on Half.com; GOTSTA be a slew for a good price!

#9 Ace Fortune

Ace Fortune

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

I dont know how many people actually saw the movie Flyboys, but I think the dogfights are exciting and well done.  Even though I thought the movie took quite a few liberties with the story the dogfights in Pearl Harbor are pretty cool if just a tad unrealistic, lol.

#10 DaveNYC

DaveNYC

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the Sky Crawlers clips. I'm definitely going to check that out. I really liked the animation of the first scene on the first clip. Very well done.

#11 GorFrag

GorFrag

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Not sure if its a dog fight but the Millenium Falcon VS the tie fighters in the asteriods is an old time favorite. John William's track makes it so intence.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS