Best Media Dogfights

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

So what are peoples favourite movie/book/anime dogfights?

I'm quite fond of the action in the Sky Crawlers movie:-

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I'm quite fond of the X-wing series. In fact, I've read them multiple times. Though I'll admit that the dogfighting is only average; it's when Rogue Squadron goes up against larger targets that things really heat up.

I never got into Battlestar Galactica because it's too risque for me, but that first engagement against the Cylons where Starbuck barely makes it back into the hangar in time: that scene just blew my mind! It's one of my favorite starfighter combat scenes ever.

• uscsmurf likes this

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'm going to have to go crawl through my video library to see if I can stir my memory.  Most of the good starship combat on the big screen lately seems to be capital ships, at least that I can instantly remember.   And the only fighter combat I can remember recently is from "Flyboys", "Der Rote Baron" or computer games.

I agree that BG had some good scenes.  I seem to remember  being impressed by some of the fights in Babylon5, but I haven't viewed them recently.  I have a sentimental place in my heart for "The Last Starfighter", and the recent "Tron" dogfight was pretty good.

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I don't think it can be called a 'dogfight', but that whole sequence in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Indy and Henry Jones escape the zeppelin in the biplane, make their way to the ground, steal a car, get bombed, and ultimately use seagulls to win the battle is one of the greatest (and most hilarious) pseudo-dogfight film sequences ever! 

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

bsmith13 said:

I have a sentimental place in my heart for "The Last Starfighter", and the recent "Tron" dogfight was pretty good.

Oh, I totally agree with you on both counts! I had completely forgotten about "The Last Starfighter," and I just recently watched "Tron: Legacy" again. So cool.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

McQueen taking on "Chiggy von Richtofen" in Space: Above and Beyond was a good story arc, and a good fight.

• AllDeadDave likes this

#7 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

Wow!  I had completely forgotten about S:AAB!  I'm going to go see if I can find those on Netflix or amazon...

#8 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

I bought the whole series on DVD from Shopko (of all places; I hate that store) a while back. Look on Half.com; GOTSTA be a slew for a good price!

#9 Ace Fortune

Ace Fortune

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

I dont know how many people actually saw the movie Flyboys, but I think the dogfights are exciting and well done.  Even though I thought the movie took quite a few liberties with the story the dogfights in Pearl Harbor are pretty cool if just a tad unrealistic, lol.

#10 DaveNYC

DaveNYC

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the Sky Crawlers clips. I'm definitely going to check that out. I really liked the animation of the first scene on the first clip. Very well done.

#11 GorFrag

GorFrag

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Not sure if its a dog fight but the Millenium Falcon VS the tie fighters in the asteriods is an old time favorite. John William's track makes it so intence.

#12 Nargy

Nargy

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

There was a Battlestar comic where Apollo went up against an older, more dangerous prototype Cylon and they ended up both crash landing.  That one was pretty fun to read. "Full reverse thrusters and braking flaps?  Captain, that one NEVER works."  Oh, snap.

Aside from the SW universe games, I liked the Wing Commander series a lot.  Especially once you ran low on missiles in a target rich environ and it became a purer dogfight.  On console, Crimson Skies for the original XBox was a good one as well.

#13 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

https://www.google.c...BYNQf5WO-OVWGtg
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#14 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

Was it really necessary to necro a 3 year old, off topic thread?

.............._____________________
|------------/_____________________\ #RIPHughsey #408 #63notoutforever
|------------\_____________________/ #putoutyourbats #staystrongseanabbott

#15 Dodt

Dodt

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:47 AM

If you want Anime dog fighting...

1. Porco Rosso:

porco+rosso.JPG

2. Cowboy Beebop:

hqdefault.jpg

3. Macross Plus:

yf21_macross_plus.jpg

• Shaidown likes this

Spoiler

#16 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:30 AM

Definitely Battlestar Galactica (new version). 

Independence day had some good dog fights back in the day.  Closest thing to imagining what it would be like to have an F-18 take on a Tie Fighter :P

REBEL: 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS