Photo

Next Talisman Expansion work in progress!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

Hi guys,

Ralph Horsley is currently working on the artwork for the next Talisman Expansion - obviously no idea what it's going to be yet!

Ell.

#2 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:22 AM

Nice to know!

I wonder if we get another expansion this year..

Otherwise, it would probably be a big  box expansion for next year!

#3 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

I'm hoping for the goblin-themed small expansion which has been rumoured (not giving my sources) ;)

#4 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

Archdruid said:

I'm hoping for the goblin-themed small expansion which has been rumoured (not giving my sources) ;)

seriously?

we have already a lot of goblins in the dungeon...

#5 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:36 AM

I know very few details about it; however, I would imagine it could be like The Frostmarch, where the theme is only apparent in about a third of the cards.  I certainly hope we get a small expansion which is less focused on one theme (as were The Sacred Pool and The Dragon).  I like those sets, but something a bit more generalised would be welcome now.  The randomness and eclecticism of the main Adventure deck is a key feature of the game for me.

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:04 AM

Archdruid said:

I know very few details about it; however, I would imagine it could be like The Frostmarch, where the theme is only apparent in about a third of the cards.  I certainly hope we get a small expansion which is less focused on one theme (as were The Sacred Pool and The Dragon).  I like those sets, but something a bit more generalised would be welcome now.  The randomness and eclecticism of the main Adventure deck is a key feature of the game for me.

What for theme do you like to see?

Maybe they can add a forest or woods theme with it.

Cards that must be place in the woods, in your region etc

How about some places that can change a place to woods for the mainboard 

The elf would be happy with it..

But the forest expansion must still be released, so woods will prably be added to the board..

#7 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

I have no doubt that the remaining corner boards will be a woodland realm and a city.  I would also expect a small expansion which helps to integrate all the regions/expansions (as has been done with Arkham Horror).

Ultimately, I would like to see a board, separate from the rest of the regions, with the theme of 'Talisman - The Island'.  Partly in homage to Jon New's website, and also to provide an opportunity to have some sea-based and jungle-based adventures.

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Archdruid said:

I have no doubt that the remaining corner boards will be a woodland realm and a city.  I would also expect a small expansion which helps to integrate all the regions/expansions (as has been done with Arkham Horror).

It's nice if the regions are connected with each other.

But i like to see a small expansion that can fix the dungeon region.

There are too much enemies in the deck, and it don't feels like a adventure.

I wish that FFG could add more events or places to the dungeon deck, such as traps or other things.

I don't know yet what the dragon expansion will add to the game, but i think that the Highland will become a very interesting place to visit, if it is played with the dragon expansion, and the ending: domain of dragons....

Imagine, that for every strength  enemy in the dungeon,.. a dragon card from vartrax? will be place on it's deck.. ( that''s a lot...

and it can contain places, events, and strangers too.. ( more balance maybe )

#9 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

The Dungeon also has fewer encounter cards than The Highland.  I have created my own additional cards for both regions.  The Dungeon lacks variety, as you say, while The Highland, for me, has too few Enemies.  Both sets are missing classic fantasy tropes for those settings.  A few examples of things I have added to each:

The Dungeon - Evil Eye (ie D&D style Beholder), Minotaur, Skeleton Guards, Gremlin (a compulsory Follower), Catacombs, Throne, Lair, Shadow Elemental, Stone Elemental, Echidna, Devourer, Executioner, Goblin Shaman, Cave Saurians, Mind-Eater (ie D&D style MIndflayer), etc, etc

The Highland - Dire Wolf, Dragon of Dusk, Eagle, Dwarf Lord, Dwarf Berserker, Dwarf Guards, Fire Giant, Ice Cave, Ice Troll, Lava Elemental, Minotaur, Monastery, Observatory, Rainbow Bridge, Wolverine, etc, etc

A few cards link between The Dungeon and The Highland; I also have cards that link The Highland to the Hidden Valley (for which I have also created a deck of new cards).

There is a huge amount of design space for each of the Regions to be revisited and expanded upon.

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

Archdruid said:

The Dungeon also has fewer encounter cards than The Highland.  I have created my own additional cards for both regions.  The Dungeon lacks variety, as you say, while The Highland, for me, has too few Enemies.  Both sets are missing classic fantasy tropes for those settings.  A few examples of things I have added to each:

I think at least that the balance from the highland is better than as the dungeon.

It has maybe 1/3 enemies from the whole deck, but there are also spaces that you draw more cards.

But i have not travel there a lot. Most games will be played on the mainboard, and after that, the character travels to the dungeon, to level up quickly.

You must also try to win the game, and i am not sure, if you give to many turns away by staying in the highland.

But dragon expansion will fix that maybe..

#11 Jenna

Jenna

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

Yay!

I think a small, deity-themed expansion would be neat.

#12 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

I would like a expansion that give some good rules about "unlocking" the parts of the complete game, when all big expansions are released there is.

As you need a Talisman to cross the valley of fire, and sometimes need to have completed all your quests to enter the portal of power, something like four locks for the portal of power or such. So each expansion must be beaten once by any player, or once by each player (may take alot of time).

So the eagle king, Lord of Darkness and some kind of endings in the two following expansions need to be beaten/solved/reached to unlock the inner region.

I would also like a rule that the Talisman is sacrificed in the valley of fire, and returned to the Warlocks cave, so other players can get a hold of it, or the player reaching the CoC need to get a new one to enter again, should he somehow leave the CoC.

Also I like that there is alot of enemies in the dungeons, I think there are to few in the rest of the game, and to much places and items. Doesnt make the game difficult, just slow. I could use a monster-expansion =)

#13 Thels

Thels

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

Too many monsters can also be an issue, unless they're so weak, that even starting characters can roll over them. Keep in mind that being in the Dungeon is (usually) a choice, whereas you have to start in the main board. If that's covered with heavy enemies, you stand no chance.

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:13 AM

Too many enemies is no fun.

The dungeon is already a example how it can destroy the adventure of the game.

We need events, strangers and places too

You want to draw unexpected cards..

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

Hi Guys,

Now that Archdruid has talk about the first rumour,  i think it's time for rumour nr 2!

The second rumour is that we get new types of tokens in the future!

I am not telling my sources

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:03 AM

Draii said:

I would like a expansion that give some good rules about "unlocking" the parts of the complete game, when all big expansions are released there is.

As you need a Talisman to cross the valley of fire, and sometimes need to have completed all your quests to enter the portal of power, something like four locks for the portal of power or such. So each expansion must be beaten once by any player, or once by each player (may take alot of time).

So the eagle king, Lord of Darkness and some kind of endings in the two following expansions need to be beaten/solved/reached to unlock the inner region.

Nice idea.

It would be cool if you get a ending that in each of the 4 region boards, you must collect 1/4 piece of a talisman

If you play with the Dragon Tower, you need the talisman to unlock the Portal of Power.

The other rule that must be added could be that the mirror in the Treasure Chamber is broken, so teleporting to the crown is not possible.

(If playing with the normal or Dragon Realm, the talisman(which contain in 4 parts) must be use for the Portal of Power and the Valley of Fire)

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

I hope we hear some talisman news in march

A sneak peek with artwork would be cool.

#18 TalismanAttack

TalismanAttack

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

So I'm very interested in Talisman right now, having acquired all expansions except the Dragon Expansion (which is coming through the mail). I was very pleased with all of these expansions, although the two L-shaped boards do have problems.

The Dungeon has too many enemies than I think it should. The Highland's relic cards you get for beating the Eagle King for the most part aren't so great. The Arnkell just downright sucks, it's merely Alchemist fodder if you have good followers. And why only four, when compared to the ten treasure cards available after beating the Lord of Darkness? I know that the Eagle King is considerably weaker than the Lord of Darkness, but the prizes are kind of lame. I suppose the weapons are good, but chances are, if you're going after someone, you want an object or gold, not a life taken.

Just today I was playing a game and spent a good 3/4's of the game in the Highlands as the Druid. I was quite successful. I beat the Eagle King, after lingering quite a bit, and got the Arnkell (which sucked). When I left, I had acquired (including stuff from the Adventure deck) an eagle talon, dragon's teeth (or something of the sort), the spellsword, three spells, 6 craft counters, 2 strength counters, 5 life (1 in addition to the Druid's life value of 4), the Arnkell (very dissapointing), a Miner, a Warhorse, a Treasure Hunter, and 16 gold (stolen later by my opponent's Generosity spell). I then tried my hand at the Dungeon and narrowly avoided getting killed.

The big issue I have with the Dungeon Expansion is that by the time you're ready for the LoD, you're probably also ready for the Inner Region (if you have a Talisman). If you don't, it's a bit much to go down that dungeon and gain a Talisman from the Treasure deck, although you could probably manage it.

I downloaded and read the rulebook for the Dragon Expansion and it seems like a great expansion, as well as a welcome alteration to the original ending rules. (I've never been a fan of Alternative Endings, especially because of John's ridiculous idea that casting the Command Spell is too hard [or whoever is in charge of Alternative Endings], the Crown and Sceptre one being the most ridiculous, possibly ending the game in a matter of 1-2 rounds, depending on how many people you're playing with.

Another expansion would be great right about now, because the voices in my head are getting very angry at me. It seems as though there's an alternating pattern of small, large, small, large expansions. Continuing the current trend, and ignoring the Dragon's I-shaped board that isn't an added region so much as a replacement, there should be at least 4 more expansions, if they decide to be as nice to us as they seem to be. 2 small, 2 large.

A new small expansion is inevitable now, as it probably already was anyways, so I shall have more cards to add to the ginormous Adventure deck (supposedly). I would like an expansiom having to do with fire and earth, for some reason. It just seems appealing to me. Well, this will make waiting for its arrival all the more exciting then. But the voices in my head don't like it.

Oh well. I guess I have to wait.

...Awesome.

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

TalismanAttack said:

The Dungeon has too many enemies than I think it should. The Highland's relic cards you get for beating the Eagle King for the most part aren't so great. The Arnkell just downright sucks, it's merely Alchemist fodder if you have good followers. And why only four, when compared to the ten treasure cards available after beating the Lord of Darkness? I know that the Eagle King is considerably weaker than the Lord of Darkness, but the prizes are kind of lame. I suppose the weapons are good, but chances are, if you're going after someone, you want an object or gold, not a life taken.

I agree that the dungeon has too many enemies

It is made for high level characters, and i have never like this idea.

It should be as the mainboard with adding more difficulty to it.

They also made a backdoor to the CoC, which is possible if you have around 22 strength.

The Arnkell does not suck. It's the second best object in the game, and it;s a 1/4 chance to get it if you kill the eagle king.

The arnkell can teleport you right to the crown if you are on a space on the inner region( as example the plain of peril)

The other one is the cloak of feathers but is more difficult to get in the dungeon. It's a 1/10 chance to get it. 

#20 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

TalismanAttack said:

Just today I was playing a game and spent a good 3/4's of the game in the Highlands as the Druid. I was quite successful. I beat the Eagle King, after lingering quite a bit, and got the Arnkell (which sucked). When I left, I had acquired (including stuff from the Adventure deck) an eagle talon, dragon's teeth (or something of the sort), the spellsword, three spells, 6 craft counters, 2 strength counters, 5 life (1 in addition to the Druid's life value of 4), the Arnkell (very dissapointing), a Miner, a Warhorse, a Treasure Hunter, and 16 gold (stolen later by my opponent's Generosity spell). I then tried my hand at the Dungeon and narrowly avoided getting killed.

Did you play talisman Solo?

I was thinking yesterday to do that too, and i am wondering how that effect the gameplay.

Because, everything that you draw, you can keep it for yourself.

But playing with 2 characters, that takes to much time.

So, maybe i play with 1 character and add a time limit to it. Just get as much as you can

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS