Drawing injury/madness and having encounters

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

I've spent some time going over the rules and cannot seem to find a definite answer to the following situation (note: a similar question can be raised regarding injuries):  an investigator has an encounter during the movement phase with a monster that leaves them with 0 sanity.  The investigator chooses to take a madness card and finds themselves in the Asylum.  My question is this: are they allowed to have an encounter at the Asylum?  The base game clearly states that when going insane that the investigator "has no further encounters this turn".  In keeping with this, it would seem that after getting a madness you would spend your entire turn dealing with your new worldview and thus not have any encounter. However, the Dunwich Horror rules do not mention actually say anything about whether or not the investigator gets to have an encounter after drawing a madness card.

And so I started thinking. For me, the Asylum (along with the Hospital) is one of those locations where I rarely seem to end up drawing encounter cards. My investigators just seem to use the special ability and get back to kicking mythos butt (or at least they try to).  Why not, after getting the madness card and moving to the Asylum, require the investigator draw for the encounter. It seems only fitting that while you recover you draw an encounter card, and see if Nurse Heather has anything planned for you while you are dealing with your madness.  I've played with this rule (with the analogous situation when drawing an injury as the result of combat during the movement phase) a few times now and have been pleasantly surprised how things turned out -- sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse

Any thoughts?  What do you do in a situation such as this?

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Rules that are not specifically revoked by an expansion, still are in effect.  So you would not have an encounter in the asylum or hospital officially.

However, it sounds like a decent variant if you would like to give it a go.

#3 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

Sense where on the subject. What if you draw Injury/ Madness as a result of an encounter, do you restore your Stamina/ Sanity to maximun?

Also do you restore you Stamina to maximum when the Strange Plague environment is out, ditto for the Sanity side?

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Injury and Madness cards are just penalty cards. It doesn't mean you haven't relly gone insane or unconscious; they're just acquired in lieu of losing the normal items/clues (you also fill your sanity/stamina when you opt to take one).

By extension, if you're required to draw an injury/madness card (say by an encounter), that does not make you unconscious/insane, so you don't get rushed to the hospital, nor lose or gain any further sanity/stamina.

#5 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

I agree with Tibs.

#6 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

But would being  reduced to 0 stamina then drawing a Injury card that refills your maximum Stamina be effected by that Strange Plaque Environment?

Technically to me it seems that it should but thematically no.

#7 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

Huh. Well in that case maybe you just go back to 1 (because you can't be at 0) or you go back to full (because that's being treated in the hospital).

Of course my second suggestion breaks down when it happens to you in the Other World, so I guess you go back to 1. I mean, getting back full stamina is not the only incentive to taking an injury card: taking one still prevents you from discarding items and clues.

#8 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

MrsGamura said:

But would being  reduced to 0 stamina then drawing a Injury card that refills your maximum Stamina be effected by that Strange Plaque Environment?

Is that the environment where you need Listerine to counter it?

#9 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

ColtsFan76 said:

MrsGamura said:

Is that the environment where you need Listerine to counter it?

Ah, the "Bad Breath" injury:  Gives you +1 to combat, but -1 sneak.

#10 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

har har Plague but I don't thin  Listerine was around in the 1920's but would be useful vs. Tsuagauwa the "Ape with the Giant Tongue"! 

#11 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

MrsGamura said:

har har Plague but I don't thin  Listerine was around in the 1920's but would be useful vs. Tsuagauwa the "Ape with the Giant Tongue"! 

Actually...

First formulated by Dr. Joseph Lawrence and Jordan Wheat Lambert in 1879 as a surgical antiseptic, it was given to dentists for oral care in 1895 and it was the first over-the-counter mouthwash sold in the United States in 1914. The mouthwash was named in honor of Dr. Joseph Lister, a pioneer of antiseptic surgery.

So says Wikipedia!  Sounds like this DOES need to be a new weapon in Innsmouth.  And what an appropriate expansion - INnsMOUTH!  thank you very much, I am here all week!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS