Photo

What's IN the box. The Big Question right now.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

Seems to be three fighters: one X-wing and two TIEs.

But what else? We know there are manoeuvre arc templates, game-specific dice and ship cards. But a playing mat? Most importantly, ship "templates (my word; it was suggested that they have drop-on stat templates for the bases to represent different craft)?"

This is VERY important as it shows whether or not Starters can be combined. With the price given, and small number of craft, we need to know if there are at least a couple options for each fighter or if we're just stuck with two Lukes or something.

It would be really nice at this juncture if some Official Rep would weigh in with what the Hell we're getting, and how multiples would work together.

#2 GHenrikG

GHenrikG

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

I guess there will be distinct pilots for each craft. Besides that, there is not much known.

I doubt that there is a gaming mat in the box. Not with a price tag of under 40$.

#3 PWBrian

PWBrian

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

The information will be released at some point.  Given how much time we have before the game is available, I'm not in any real hurry to find out.

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:40 AM

They could certainly include a fold-out poster map, though, and very cheaply. It wouldn't even have to be printed double-sided.

I think FF won't want to, though, because it might result in gamers saying "why should I buy the deluxe $40 mat, when I have this poster?". Strangely, I think it's possible that Lucas Licensing might actually come to the rescue, here: if they learn that the game, out of the box, is going to be played on a blank, bare tabletop, and that's what it's gonna look like at conventions and such, that might reflect badly on the Star Wars brand, and I don't think they'd like that.

Come on, FF. Give us a simple poster star map. I'm probably gonna buy your deluxe mat anyway, and for those who won't, it'll make them feel better about buying the game in the first place.

#5 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Since you move a set distance each round based on the cardboard arcs, it seems the game designers would have a starting distance established in their minds.  That could easily be determined by a "map" included of a certain size and directions about how close to the edge you must set up.  Not sure if that part was established in the demo or they just put them down on opposite sides and went at it since it was just a demo.  I would be willing to bet that a paper mat would be included in the starter for the full play-right-out-of-the-box experience.

I think most people who would buy a more deluxe type of game mat would do that anyway even if a paper one is in the box.  There would be people who might pass on the starter if there is no mat all included though.  I think it would be in their best interests for the game and for overall sales to include something inside and an upgrade available at another time.  Time will tell.

#6 stsparks72

stsparks72

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

I agree, FF should definitely put some type of fold out space map in the starter box.  Otherwise kids will be looking for a dark black surface to play on.  That will ultimately lead to kids playing on the blacktop in the middle of street.  Not good.

So if FF wants to keep kids off the streets and out of danger they need to do the responsible thing and put a map in the starter box.

Bleep Bloop Blot!

#7 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:49 AM

stsparks72 said:

keep kids off the streets.

This could be the slogan on the outside of the box, too. :)

#8 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

Has anyone that went to gen con here on the forums if so I have questions for you.

1) those spin counters are they just count down dials or do they correspond to a specific ship?  (I would love to cast some resin ones with the empire logo rebel logo and a mando/death guard logo on the top side

2) Did FFG mention anything about those templates being made of something other than the cardboard the look to be made of?  ( i play descent with my 1 and 4 yr old boys an that stuff is great until I take my eyes off them an one of them is tasting the figures or game board, usually from fetching dice that miss the box they are allowed to roll into.  we dont follow the rules very much at all come on they are little and like the board and figs and throwing dice and i don't mind setting it up for them to do whatever

3.  Are these going to be the same scale as WOW?

4.  Does the game mat need to have any hexes, squares, or anything else if so what size?  Would like to order a mat so i have it ready to play when it is released

5.  Are there dice?  Thought I saw some in one of the pictures on BGG

6.  How many different types of tokens are there BGG has a quantity but would like to know how many different bins to make while I wait for release?

any more and I will post again thanks for any input at all

I will try and upload some of the other FFG game organizers I have built on the Forums but I dont know if FFG allows that thanks 

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

I wasn't at the Con, but I've been following this real closely and can answer a few of your Qs.

kuffdaddy said:

1) those spin counters are they just count down dials or do they correspond to a specific ship?

They correspond to the ships. All the available maneuvers are selectable inside them, and all ships choose one, then reveal it when their turn comes. 

kuffdaddy said:

4.  Does the game mat need to have any hexes, squares, or anything else if so what size?

No hexes or squares are used, and it's been theorized that the game may not come with any mat at all (necessitating a purchase of the expensive mats like WoW has available, for those (all?) of us who desire a nice, starry background).

kuffdaddy said:

5.  Are there dice?

Yes. They're unique to the game, and they have two 'hit' sides, one 'critical hit' side, and three blank sides.

That's all I got. I'm sure those resin dials you mention would be a hit, if you make 'em! 

#10 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:50 AM

The actual making and casting is easy enough but I need to Know what on the bottom side of the dial to make the spintop openings right size and what to have on the bottom part of the spin counter.

Hopefully by next weekend I might have a rough topper made but not cast have to work out all the design details.  I'll find some more pics if the spinners and see what I can do

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS