• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

From the game description:

Players build Rebel decks designed around command cards for each of the four main Rebel strategies.

• The Military strategy excels at engaging Imperials in both space and ground combat. This strategy features the strongest starfighters and the most effective pilots.
  • Rogues who join the Rebellion present high risk investments with potentially high reward. They excel at stealth, avoidance, and smuggling resources.
  • The Tech strategy introduces droids and powerful weapons to arm your characters and ships. These Rebels excel at repairs and upgrades for the Rebel fleet.
  • The Operations strategy employs diplomacy and espionage, making them experts at gathering intelligence and manipulating Imperial forces. This strategy draws on resources from across the Rebel Alliance to focus on scouting, control, and completing missions.

Which of these strategies appeals to you the most, and why?

#2 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

I think my first strategy will be to get the game :D 

#3 Pericles

Pericles

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

Knowing my best friend's play style, he'll be using the Military strategy.  When we played the ST:CCG, he was the guy that played the Klingon faction and flew around blowing everybody's ships up.   I'll probably go with the Operations.  It sounds the most like blue in Magic, and that was my favorite color to play in that game.  Deck manipulation!  Muh ha ha ha ha.......

"Chug... Chug... Chug..."

#4 PWBrian

PWBrian

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

Maybe Tech.  Support roles don't get enough love.

#5 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

hard to say without playing with each strat. Of the 2 demoed at Gencon I liked Military best. Was awesome punching some Imperials in the face.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Having not played a CCG (I know, I know, this is an 'LCG') since Decipher's Star Wars, I'll probably start with Military while I'm learning. But I'll probably gravitate toward Operations... I want to know how espionage and diplomacy are represented in a collectible card game. 

#7 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Having not played a CCG (I know, I know, this is an 'LCG') since Decipher's Star Wars, I'll probably start with Military while I'm learning. But I'll probably gravitate toward Operations... I want to know how espionage and diplomacy are represented in a collectible card game. 

I feel the same. I think that the movies do a good job of showing how Rebel heroes take the fight to the Empire, but I want to see the more subtle elements of the Alliance. Such as sending politicians like Mon Mothma and Princess Leia to negotiate with sympathetic systems, and taking advantage of the Bothan Spynet.

#8 Kiwina

Kiwina

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

I'd probably play a Tech/Operations mix.

#9 Jekzer

Jekzer

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

Knowing that LOTR and Star Wars are different LCG (I have the former and I've seen the "basic" gameplay of the latter), Operations reminds me a bit of Spirit (LOTR) in the sense that "political advancement" could be related to manage quests or even adding more time to achieve them (and then pulling back the grip of the Imperials to not gaining that quest).

Looking forward to seeing the Operations "style" (and of course, the game itself) !

#10 Adam

Adam

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

Rogue and Operations both sound like fun... but so do they all.  I'm sure I'll end up playing them all repeatedly.  Lord of the Rings is pretty good, and this both a) sounds better and b) is Star Wars.  The latter being what's most important.  Rogue sounds like it'll be my general first choice for multiplayer.  No idea how stealth will work in the game, but stealth is always cool.

#11 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

I hope that decks aren't limited to one of the four strategies. I don't know all the rules, but that is the way it seems right now. I do hope to be wrong on this one. Of course I will want to try them all, and maybe I will find one that I don't like, but I hope I like them all. 

If I do have to pick one of the four, I pick Rogues. I want to play a deck with Chewbacca and Lando. Tech is my second choice, I love droids. I hope there is a Gonk card. If I could somehow mix Rogue and Tech, that would be ideal. 

#12 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

I suspect the core set like LOTR will have all but no sphere integration but that the first few Force packs will start to increase those options as has happened with LOTR. 

#13 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:00 AM

Jekzer said:

Knowing that LOTR and Star Wars are different LCG (I have the former and I've seen the "basic" gameplay of the latter), Operations reminds me a bit of Spirit (LOTR) in the sense that "political advancement" could be related to manage quests or even adding more time to achieve them (and then pulling back the grip of the Imperials to not gaining that quest).

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." :)

#14 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'm so excited to try this game. It's tough for me to say which strategy I'd like best with any amount of intelligence because I haven't played card games in so long that I'm not sure how each style would translate into gameplay. But it seems to me that military is probably the easiest and Operations is probably the hardest. But I think those two probably have the biggest sense of accomplishment if done right: you either blow the Imps out of the sky or totally throw a hydrospanner in their plans. It'd be interesting to see how the other two decks work. Being a sort of bounty hunter fan myself, I think I'd gravitate toward the Scoundrel type play because it's like the good guy version of a bounty hunter.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS