A few things I noticed during the demo at GEN CON

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 brutusnight

brutusnight

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

I enjoyed the Demo but was told that the X-wings only won once. I tried both sides and did great with the Tie's not so good with the xwing. During the demo we were told that the reason it was 2 to 1 odds ( 6 ties vs 3 Xwings) was based on the health of the units. Ties had 3 each where the Xwings had 4 plus 2 shields so each side was able to take a total of 18 hits. Where i saw the problem was that the Ties rolled two die on defense and the Xwings only one. This gave the Ties the advantage of blocking more hits and being able to do more damage to the Xwings. Also both sides rolled the same amount of attack die. During the Demo only one xwing had a droid and only one had a torpedo. I think the xwings would of done better if they all would of had the droid and torpedos.

I also noticed that some of the people running the demo were not that familar with the rules which made some of the games confusing. I plan on buying the game and hope that when it is released that the system is more balanced. I think the game also needs counters that say " No Action" for those that lose thier action due to collisions, Immelmans or barrel rolls. I would also like to see a advanced or normal rule where the two shields have to be allocated to front or rear and as a action they can be shifted. Also would be nice if the cards  for the ships where bigger so record keeping would be clearer.

#2 solitear

solitear

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

yea it seems to me the x-wiing should have more powerful guns..I'm assuming the defense die was related to maneuverability so that makes sense...I'm confident alot of stuff can be house ruled.

#3 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

give them credit they probably only got the rules on the drive down.  I mean FFG has been so tight lipped about acquiring the Rights that only a handful of people had access to the rules and the rules are probably still being fine tuned.  FFG has not released a game that I was sorry that I bought and I am positive that this will be no exeption.  I hope the come out with a squad based skirmish game similar to D.T. and D.W. same miniatures for two games what a great idea 

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

kuffdaddy said:

I hope the come out with a squad based skirmish game similar to D.T. and D.W. same miniatures for two games what a great idea 

Much as Wings of War seems to be a jumping-off point for X-wing, from what I'm reading, Dust looks to be a jumping-off point for their eventual Star Wars miniatures. I've been looking around the site, but can't find an answer to this question: I know that 'D.T.' stands for Dust Tactics, but what does 'D.W.' stand for?

#5 Borvarn

Borvarn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

I believe that D:W stands for Dust Warfare which looks to be a full blown minis wargame that expands on the rules of Dust Tactics.  Some of my reading on other sites have had hard core wargamers looking down on Dust Tactics as basically a board game with cool minis.  Warfare looks to use the same minis and take it to the next level.  If so this may be along the same lines as to what happens to Star Wars, a simple starter game that morphs into a more serious tactical one over time.

This is of course as I understand it, and not being a serious wargamer I may be mistaken.

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

Oh man, I don't know what planet I was on, but since you mentioned it, I was able to instantly find the page for Dust: Warfare. I don't know why I didn't notice it before - maybe it was the font. Yes... blame the font... 

I was gonna say it would be nice if FF skips the 'board game with cool minis' step and gets right to the meat of things, but if they're gonna use the same miniatures, who cares? Have a simple board game for 'the dinner crowd', and further tempt them with the advanced game the rest of us will be playing! 

#7 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

Since it would be best to have something noticeably different from SWM, what I want to see is a larger-scale ground combat game. In terms of scope, I'm thinking more Axis & Allies than SWM, if you can take my meaning. AT-ATs, Hailfires, Gian speeders, droid gunships, Juggernauts, that sort of thing. It'd have infantry too, of course, but they'd be sorta cheap supporting units and not the main thrust of the game. Everything at least CLOSE to scale; I realize the infantry would have to be fudged up in size a little bit. Anyway, that's what I'd like to see developed.

#8 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:52 AM

Infantry as squads, or as individuals? If as squads, would you still imagine having 'hero' characters running around in there?

I'd sure be into such a game. In SWM, it always seemed goofy to try and approximate the Battle of Geonosis or the Battle of Hoth when the playing field was only 51 metres long! 

#9 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

Although, don't get me wrong, I AM NOT advocating an A&A rules-set for such a game, I'll continue the conceptual analogy and say that I'm considering having an infantry unit work pretty much the same as in A&A: regular grunts being a Fire Team, heavy weapons as being a crew and "heroes" as being a single individual. Heroes would absolutely have a place in such a game; I mean, that's what Star Wars is about!! Luke Skywalker can still get blowed up by an AT-ST, though.

#10 TK4334

TK4334

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

my english is too bad to find out many about the game mechanic .... i really disliked the SSB game from WOTC ... but i loved the SW Miniatures Skrimish game ... so there is hope ...

i wanna really go for it if it has an intelligent, flexible, challanging game play... 

X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Berlin
X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Hamburg
X-Wing Regional Champion 2013 Nürnberg
X-Wing Store Champion 2014 Wiesbaden, Mainz, Düsseldorf and Iserlohn

#11 DragonWhimsy

DragonWhimsy

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:58 AM

If you want a grander scale what about a Star Wars version of Battles of Westeros? That would be pretty awesome.

"Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign? Anyone can make an error, but that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." -Grand Admiral Thrawn

#12 teufelwolf@yahoo.com

teufelwolf@yahoo.com

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

flash from the past...

#13 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Why not spell wolf auf deutsch as well?
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#14 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

why did you do this

• JBouthietteJr and Rob Jedi like this

#15 Qapla187

Qapla187

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

And here I was thinking someone didn't know there was an Armada forum... : /
:>¡<: X-wing x6, Y-wing x3, TIE Fighter x6, TIE Advanced x3, A-wing x4, YT-1300 x2, TIE Interceptor x9,
Firespray-31 x3, B-wing x4, HWK-290 x2, TIE Bomber x6, Lambda Shuttle x2, E-wing x3, Z-95 x4, TIE Defender x3, TIE Phantom x2, GR-75 x2, CR-90 x1

Perish quickly you will, if without Push, an A-wing you fly.

#16 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

why did you do this

• JBouthietteJr likes this

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS