Death Star Trench Idea feasible?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bootlegbaker

bootlegbaker

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

For those who demo'd this, would a 3D trench (cardstock) work for these rules?  You could place X wings in the trenches, avoiding obstacles like overhanging bridges while being shot at by ties and trench turrets, while trying to "focus" on launching torpedos at the target hole?

Meanwhile, at the surface, Y-Wings and secondary Xwings could be fighting ties and bombing strategic targets and turrets?

#2 GHenrikG

GHenrikG

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:48 AM

I haven't demoed it but have a look at that:

http://www.deathstarrun.com/

I found the link at BGG in the X-wing forum section. Looks pretty cool.

Yea, some mats with a Death Star Trench or A Star Destroyer to attack would be cool.

#3 bootlegbaker

bootlegbaker

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

Or a map of the moon of Yavin and Deathstar in the background!

#4 jeditimothy

jeditimothy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

I am hope they capital ships latter on into the expansions.

#5 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

Like lots of their other games I would love to see this as a deluxe expansion.  A quality gaming mat towers, overpasses, squeezes and tie squad's.  NO FALCON INTERVENTION,  if you start to fail your run outta the trench clean up the TIEs and begin again or something like that.  Just cant wait the tension might actually force (haha) me to reread all of my xwing books just to get ready again

J

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

jeditimothy said:

I am hope they capital ships latter on into the expansions.

This is something I've been thinking of lately, and the idea of a Death Star trench kinda fits in with it.

How do you feel about setting up a capital ship on either side, one representing a Star Destroyer and the other a Mon Calamari Star Cruiser. The capital ships would have turrets on them that the player can place where they want on that small section of the ship. This is important, the battle only takes place in a small space between the two capital ships, but the whole capital ship is not represented on the playing field. So then the goal becomes knocking out all of your opponent's turrets before they knock out yours, while avoiding enemy starfighters and the turret laser fire as well.

The biggest problem here is that it is more like a mission, not something you could implement in normal skirmishes. Anyway, just some thoughts I had.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I think we would all love to play in that epic struggle between good and evil when the fearless Rebel pilots make their run on the dreaded Death Star. However, I just don't think it will work in this game.

1. Size. You would either need to play on an indoor basketball court, or have a map where the trench turns and winds like it did on the original Rogue Squadron game for Nintendo 64. Playing a trench on the table top is…well, you'd reach the end of it in 3 or 4 turns. Kind of a short game.

2. Bore factor. Yes, I just said the Death Star trench is boring. Why? Because the good guys follow a straight course hoping not to get lit up by the TIEs behind them. No opportunity to shoot, no room to move ("It's no good, I can't maneuver!"). You might as well let the Empire roll the dice until they score enough hits in an allotted number of rolls without moving any of the ships.

3. Balance. I know what you're thinking: "Well it wouldn't JUST be the trench. They'd have to fly along the surface, avoiding the turret fire, and then make their way into the trench." You're right, that does sound more fun. It also sounds impossible for the Rebels to win. Remember, at GenCon the 2:1 ratio of TIEs resulted in an Empire victory every single time. If you add turrets in there the poor little Rebellion doesn't stand a chance.

So those are my thoughts on a Death Star Trench idea. Am I right? You tell me.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#8 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Parakitor, I think you are right.

It may be possible to make this both feasible and fun, but only with a ton of special rules.  To address the scale issue, you would probably have to have some sort of rule for a scrolling trench.  One of the reasons the attack on the Death Star succeeded was because the Imperials took a while to figure out the attack plan.  So you would need a rule preventing the Empire from massing squadron firepower above the trench until at least one run had been made.  Also, I'm not sure the ratio of rebels to imperials is right; I seem to remember reading in EU literature that the only TIE squadron that engaged in combat was Vader's personal squadron.  The rebels had 28 fighters according to the screen shots from ANH.  Just how big is an Imperial Squadron, anyway?  I was under the impression that it was 24 - I could be wrong.  Finally, there would have to be rules for Force usage.  Not just individual pilot attributes like Luke and Vader, but (and this is my personal interpretation of Star Wars) for the Rebellion to have an edge, since the destruction of the Death Star was clearly guided by the good side of the Force.

Just my two credits.  Seems like it would require a ton of work with not a lot of pay off, when there are so many other scenarios you could dream up.  I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

#9 lingster

lingster

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

it might be feasable…  BUT I cannot start on my trench until I get these things in hand.  I'm not sure of the exact size of these planes to know how big to make the surface… including trench and exaust port….

BTW:  I have all the parts ready for the trench.. just have to know how big to make it..

EDIT:  It might be feasable.. BUT…  to make an accurate trench run… you'd need 30 rebel ships…  and an equal number of TIES…   you're looking at $900  just for the ships!!

#10 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

I would think it would be feasible.

A couple of suggestions for rules:

1) In order to attempt to launch the bomb/torpedo, the X-wing must travel X amount of distance in the trench area just before launching. And, must obviously be within Y amount of distance of the target hole in order to launch.  Distances will depend on the movement templates. The purpose of this is twofold. First, to simulate steady navigation to acquire the target. Second, to provide difficulty for the attacking vessel.

2) Rebels start with all ships on the table.  Starting Imperial forces are minimal, but gain reinforcements as the game goes on. These reinforcements also may come in from any direction, including behind the Rebels.  Since the TIEs are faster, this shouldn't be much of a problem.  It should force the Rebels to guard their rear and sides as TIEs begin to swarm around them, and they need to protect the leading Xwing.

#11 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

dvang said:

Since the TIEs are faster, this shouldn't be much of a problem. 

We actually don't know that TIEs will be faster in this game. I think the movement guides are the same for both teams, but we don't know if an X-wing has the option of moving 3 distance units in a straight line. I think they probably go the same speed in this game for balance, but we won't know until we see the maneuver dials in full.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#12 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Funny to come here and find this topic already going. I've been thinking about this very idea all day. Even without special trench/bombing run rules, I'm strongly considering making Death Star surface tiles (1' square each) as an alternative playing surface to the standard space mat. Anyone find out the scale/size of these ships (and their bases) yet?

#13 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I seem to recall from the GenCon demo that the TIEs had the options to select movement guides for tighter turns as well as faster straight-away, plus the barrel-roll.

If this isn't the case, it is simple enough to limit the forward movement distance selectable when "in the trench", representing avoiding close obstacles.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS