Perfect Gaming Mat for X-Wing

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bootlegbaker

bootlegbaker

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Check these mats out! These are perfect for X-Wing! Which one you like the best?

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

They look pretty cool, but aren't the kind of big? And expensive? My favorite is the White Nebula at the end, followed by the Red Nebula #1.

I also think that Hotz felt maps look pretty cool. A 72" x 45" mat runs for about $50. Two of those mats side by side would be comparable in size to the fabric mats you posted, but you'd save yourself $50.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 Cryix

Cryix

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

I bought one of the hotz felt maps for the WotC starship battles game. Worked great. Would highly recommend it. 

#4 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

Hey Cryix, what size did you get and how did you have them ship it to you (boxed or rolled)?  Does it fold well or do you keep it rolled to store it? Just trying to get some more information as I weigh my options.

#5 Cryix

Cryix

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

It's been awhile since i ordered it but im almost positive that it was the standard minis map size (quarter size i guess) with 1" squares on it. I went and took a look earlier this week and they seem to have a few more options now, which is good. It came in a tube. I don't recall having to specify box or roll at the time, but maybe i just dont remember. 

I was pretty happy with how it came out. definitely a nice change of pace from the printed maps with all the folding and whatnot.

#6 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

I ordered one (HOTZ) and had it shipped to me rolled I also had it printed on both sides to give me more diversity (its for Firestorm) but the other guy is correct if you order two hotz you do save about fifty bucks or get them printed on both sides and I think you save about $10 but you now have 4 mats

just my two pennies

#7 Incom1138

Incom1138

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

Little pricey for a map.

• UnfairBanana likes this

#8 corseceng

corseceng

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

We have recently made all the space mats available in 72" by 42" for $100.00. We have been working on this for some time. We know they are expensive. We have tried to reduce costs as much as possible but the printing process is rather expensive. They are printed on heavy cotton fabric and the edges are finished with a binding that protects even better then a normal hem. These mats are made to last a long time.

Thank you

Jonathan Bowen

CorSec Engineering

www.corseceng.com

#9 red leader

red leader

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

Very cool but a bit pricey.

#10 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

For starters, I was thinking of a simple black felt cloth (approx. 3' x 3' or 4' x 2'), since you don't need the classic maps, a la WotC to gauge movement.

#11 Painteddrum

Painteddrum

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

I think I will stick with spray paint on posterboard. but the white nebula mat was very nice looking.

#12 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

In the end I just picked up some of that star field fabric form Wal-Mart. It's not quite the Star Wars kind of feel that I'd like (more blue than black), but at about $5 a yard it was cheap and easy.

#13 gabe69velasquez

gabe69velasquez

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

good to know these are still here.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 nekomatafuyu

nekomatafuyu

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

I ordered one (HOTZ) and had it shipped to me rolled I also had it printed on both sides to give me more diversity (its for Firestorm) but the other guy is correct if you order two hotz you do save about fifty bucks or get them printed on both sides and I think you save about $10 but you now have 4 mats

just my two pennies

HOTZ look pretty affordable, even with shipping to the UK (although sadly that would be shipped folded).

My two concerns with fabric mats though would be stretchiness (I'd be wanting it to stay at 36x36 so that I don't need to measure out play areas all the time), and whether or not the fibers of the fabric could catch on ships/tokens. How would you rate the mat on those fronts?

Imperial: 5x TIE/LN, 3x TIE/IN, 3x TIE/sa, 1x TIE/x1, 1x TIE/D, 2x Lambda, 1x Firespray, 1x VT-49 (pending)
Rebel: 4x X-Wing, 1x Y-Wing, 2x A-Wing, 1x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1xYT-2400 (pending)

#15 TIE Pilot

TIE Pilot

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

This thread necromancy is not funny. This is the third thread.

• sigidi likes this

#16 Plainsman

Plainsman

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

This thread necromancy is not funny. This is the third thread.

Why do you guys get so bent out of shape about old threads being renewed? If they started a new one somebody would gripe " that has been discussed before!!".

Seems like some of the forumites just like to gripe!! :(
  • gabe69velasquez likes this

Plainsman :) plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com
Imperials: Ties x 5, Interceptors x 5, Advanced x 1, Bombers x 2, Defenders x 2, Phantoms x 5, Firespray x 1, Shuttle x 1
Rebels: XWings x 4, YWings x 2, BWing x 2, AWing x 2, EWing x 2, Z95 x 3, YT1300 x 2, HWK290 x 2, GR75 x 1,
CR90 x 1

#17 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

Does it have enough texture to stop slippage from bumping?

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#18 Nilliom

Nilliom

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

It prevent slipping up to a point but it still not perfect. For that I ordered a Gripmat from a Kickstarter project. This will be for my 36x36. Right now I'm using a felt mat with some rubber ciment spread on the back side so that th mat will not slip itself of the table.

The HOTZ map that I have is for more Epic games since it's more than 6 X 3.
  • Marinealver likes this

#19 InstantAequitas

InstantAequitas

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

Not necro'ed: the 15 or so threads that complained about Hotz mats not taking forever/not reaching their destination throughout 2012-2013.
Favorite squad for me currently: #stressbot 4.0
Wedge+predator / Luke+VI+R3-A2 / Biggs / Bandit Sqd pilot.

#20 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

Got the blue stars one 60x50. . Pm me for price if interested. Willing to sell for less than original price of course. Never been used..

Edited by Swedge, 27 October 2014 - 03:38 PM.

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS