Photo

Final word? How many X-wings and Tie fighters in the base box?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 yojimbo

yojimbo

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

Conflicting reports from GenCon abount. But the price for the product is shown here on FFG, so it's obviously not unknown.

What's in the box, FFG?

#2 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:09 AM

The FFG staffer in this video says one X, two TIEs...

#3 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

That's a little bit of a downer, but prices are going up on everything. The game looks beautiful from the photos and vids. I can't wait to see what the expansions will bring.

#4 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Presumably, when we get together with other gamers to play this, they'll hopefully have their own set... so there's six ships to draw from.

But yeah, friendly games at home with the kids might be a little lacklustre... 

#5 Zeraga

Zeraga

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

only 1 x-wing and 2 ties? Dang, thats small. What would be cool to see the TIE bomber and TIE interceptor put in as well the A-wing, the B-wing, and Y-wing.

Death to the False Emperor!

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

I'm sure we'll get 'em eventually, but of course they have to string us along to some degree. If the base set included all those ships, and the first expansion featured, say, E-wings and Yuzzhan Vong Coral Skippers, there might be a sliiiiiiiiight decrease in sales. 

[EDIT: to add to your list, I do hope they eventually include the TIE Advanced x1, whether or not they choose to call it 'Darth Vader's TIE Fighter'. I'm totally crazy about that ship. ]

#7 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Oddly IJT, I've never been a huge fan of Vader's TIE! Who knows why. Well, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." BUT, I would definitely agree that it should be a separate release pretty quick.

Gordon's vote on order of release?

1. Y-Wing    2. TIE Interceptor    3. TIE Advanced    4. A-Wing    5. B-Wing    6. Millenium Falcon    THEN, begin Republic-era ships, possibly with a "new starter."

#8 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

IG-58 said:

3. TIE Advanced

You meant the Bomber?

Oh - and if they're gonna do the Falcon, let's have an evil transport, too... Slave I

#9 brutusnight

brutusnight

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

I think there will also 2d  cardboard versions of the ships so you can field more than just the 2 or 3 plastic ones, according to the person running the Demo.

#10 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

No, I mean the Vader fighter. Just 'cos I personally don't get sexed-up over it doesn't mean it's not a major player that should be there. I really don't think the TIE Bomber has much reason to exist in this game (though I DO love them!).

#11 schoon

schoon

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

If Wings of War is any indication, the boxed set should have 4 minis at a minimum.

Given the "playtest" state of the rules, I'd say it's likely too soon to tell on the box contents.

#12 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Yes, BUT:

1. WWI fighters were pretty close to parity. Some better, some less so - but TIEs & X-Wings are very different.

2. Lucasfilm (Arts, whatever) has a license for this, and takes out a great big hunk. WWI veterans don't have any kind of patent. I don't even know how much it is - 10%? 15? 20? No idea. But it's enough that SW material costs noticeably more than unlicensed or self-owned (i.e., D&D) material.

Nowadays (aaaand I can vouch for this, working in retail), it's become a choice of raise the price, or reduce the contents. Most producers seem to be going with the latter, 'cos it's less noticeable or intrusive. Go to your grocery store; have you not seen that suddenly where you used to get 16 oz for a price, now you get 12? Or where before you got, say, 24 "bits" and now it's 18? This is happening all over. It's no surprise that, between high licensing fees and economic production realities, you're going to see a sorta anemic set.

The other piece is, though, that this is not bread. Or eggs. Or shoes. Cars, winter coats or lunch meat. It's a game, which people really don't need. It's strictly a "luxury item." SO, we shall see how the combination works this next couple years.

#13 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:33 AM

IG-58 said:

I really don't think the TIE Bomber has much reason to exist in this game (though I DO love them!).

TIE Bombers are iconic, and I don't anticipate they'll be left out. What I do anticipate is that they will play a significant role in scenarios, eg. bombers must travel some distance to reach their target, and the opponent must try to neutralize them. Meanwhile allied fighters must fly cover to defend them. This especially came to my mind because of the new movie, Red Tails that Lucasfilm Ltd. is producing.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#14 jeditimothy

jeditimothy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

I would like to capital ships all so, launching fighters in to combat . I all so  collected the wizards of the coast ships and people miniatures so I am all hyped up on this..

#15 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

I would love Darth's Tie, but more importantly what of rogue squadron

#16 Incom1138

Incom1138

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:06 AM

Rogue Squadron is not as popular as the fans want in the games. I should know, Wedge is my top character. Hopefully, they will make him, but I doubt there will be a Janson, Hobbie, or anybody else from the squad.

#17 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

Incom1138 said:

Rogue Squadron is not as popular as the fans want in the games. I should know, Wedge is my top character. Hopefully, they will make him, but I doubt there will be a Janson, Hobbie, or anybody else from the squad.

I dunno! Curious, I went onto Knoble Knight to check out the prices/variety of the existing Wings of War aircraft. There are quite a few! Seemed like pretty much any WWI ace who was anyone at all is represented. With that in mind, assuming (big "if," there) the game becomes a hit, I would not be at all surprised to see all the known pilots appear (Baron Fel, too!). The only fly in the ointment there is that visually an X-Wing doesn't have as much to differentiate one from another as those colorful old planes.

#18 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Yes, that's why I think (and hope) that they can do cards for pretty much everybody. Then you just plonk him into your ship, be it an X-wing, A-wing, or whatever, and voila - your mini just became a different mini.

The cards we've seen so far (who are all no-name characters) specifically list the ship they pilot on the card - e.g. the 'Rookie Pilot' card says 'X-wing' on it, as does the 'Obsidian Pilot' say TIE Fighter. It's my hope that the Luke Skywalker card (and many/all subsequent unique characters) won't have any ship listed... so if you have the points to spend, you can drop Wedge Antilles into a B-wing, and go nuts.

#19 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

All of what you've been saying (about these "templates" or whatever) dovetails in with the WoW system. F'rinstance, I saw the WWII Early Years set, which comes with three fighters (ME109, Hurricane & Spitfire), but the description says you can play six ships with the set. That tells me each bird comes with two different options that can be mixed up. The Template System (did I do that?) is definitely the way to go for allowing a wide variety of options for a single fighter miniature.

#20 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Awesome. That gives me hope. While I admit that every ship you buy having a card for Luke, Wedge, Han, Chewie, Janson, Zev, and Bob The Guy Who Fixes The Photocopier could be a little tedious, knowing that there are at least two options for each ship eases my mind a bit. I do not want to have to buy Luke's X-wing, and Wedge's X-wing, and Biggs's X-wing, and Porkins's X-wing...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS