GenCon demo

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

So I got the chance to play a demo of the game at GenCon and was suitably impressed. We played three on three with each of us controlling either two Tie fighters or one X-Wing. I don't have a full report, but here are my quick impressions.

- The models looked great, particularly the X-Wings. I was impressed with the level of detail.

- The gameplay seemed to be a slight variant on Wings of War, which I played a demo of at last year's GenCon. My buddy pointed out that the movement tokens from Wings have been replaced with a movement dial, something we both liked.

- Things seemed a little unbalanced in favor of the Imperials. The X-Wings are definitely more powerful, durable, and maneuverable, but the 2 to 1 advantage was just too much to fight against.

- I liked the un-tiled map, as it seemed to add to the verisimilitude of the game, but clearer rules for where overlapping ships get shunted to would be nice. Perhaps place holder tiles for the movement phase would be helpful too.

Overall, I enjoyed the game quite a bit. If the end product resembles what I played, then I'll definitely be picking it up. Nice work FFG!

#2 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the report!

Shenanigans said:

clearer rules for where overlapping ships get shunted to would be nice.

I was wondering about that, too. 

Would you mind telling us how attacks work? Looking back at the photos, I notice that there don't seem to be any dice on the table.

[EDIT: Oh, I see that the Astromech uses dice to repair shields, so there we are.

I'm thinking that you roll the red number of 'attack' dice, versus your opponent's green number of 'defend' dice? Possibly the dice have two Rebel icons, two Imperial, and two blank?]

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#3 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

From someone else who played the demo, he said that there are custom d6 (with hits and misses on the sides) that are rolled based on the skill level of the combatants.  If you roll more hits than evades, then you score damage.  I'm paraphrasing from an email I read and probably do not have the exact terms, but he said the gameplay was pretty solid.

The more reports I read, the more I think I will definitely be getting into this game.  Thanks for the report.

#4 Winged_Human

Winged_Human

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

When you played the demo, did you ask the FFG attendee if you were using "ALL" the rules to play?

I know that demoing can be easier if you left out more of the advanced rules for the game.

Just me thinking out loud about how Imperials are better stats and more numbers.

#5 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

I came in to game at the last moment, so I didn't get the full briefing and don't know if we were using all the rules. I did hear from my buddy that some of the FFG employees mentioned that they were using the demos as a kind of playtesting.

As far as the dice, it was based on ship more than skill I believe. The type of pilot you had would allow you to do certain things like take a bonus action.

You roll the same dice for attack and defense. Each has two blast markers, one exploding Death Star, and three blank sides. The blasts act as standard hits on offense and block hits (standard or critical) on defense. The Death Star is a critical hit on offense and nothing on defense. The blanks are, of course, nothing.

In my game at least, the dice were kept in little black baskets to keep them from hitting the minis.

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

That's some good info right there. Thank you, Sir! 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#7 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:42 AM

I found another video that has some great close-up shots of the various components (dice, ships, cards).  youtu.be/LXzdNvr-11c

If the link doesn't work, go to YouTube and search for "Four Days of Gen Con: Star Wars X-Wing" by generalcollectibles.

#8 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:04 AM

Oh, good stuff!

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#9 PWBrian

PWBrian

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

I'm glad to see there are more maneuvers available than just listing lazily to the left.

#10 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

From the video, this little gem definitely illuminates a few things:

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#11 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

This is pretty informative, too:

I get a kick out of how that one X-wing in the video has a laser cannon broken off. We're gonna have to be more careful with these pieces than we were with our Starship Battles, people! $12.95 a pop, remember!

Argh, I can't believe we have to wait at least five months to get this... 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#12 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

I don't wanna spam the thread, but what I'm liking about this game is how active it is. Instead of just watching my hit points dwindle away, I'm actively dodging incoming fire. I'm deciding if I want to tell my astromech to repair shields, or throw caution to the wind and concentrate on getting a targeting lock on my enemy. That feels like the movies, to me. 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#13 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

$12.95 apiece is for Wings of War, if I remember. This has Lucasfilm stamped on it.

#14 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

True, true. I think this is gonna be one of those 'velvet glove' type o' games...

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#15 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

I was very excited initially, now I'm not so sure. Three ships? Mebbe no game surface? Forty bucks to play three ships on my bare tabletop? I realize times are tough for everyone - including corporations - but hey, I just lost $7000.00 in two flippin' days from my 401(k), and am having to redo our main bathroom. FFG needs to pony up a little more than three ships, some cards and some cardboard arcs to ask $40 from me for a starter. Just sayin.'

SO, not sure where I am with this yet.

#16 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

IG-58 said:

I was very excited initially, now I'm not so sure. Three ships? Mebbe no game surface? Forty bucks to play three ships on my bare tabletop? I realize times are tough for everyone - including corporations - but hey, I just lost $7000.00 in two flippin' days from my 401(k), and am having to redo our main bathroom. FFG needs to pony up a little more than three ships, some cards and some cardboard arcs to ask $40 from me for a starter. Just sayin.'

SO, not sure where I am with this yet.

I posted a link to pre-order it for something like $26-$27 (which might be more palatable) on one of these threads.  I don't remember which one, though.  I think $40 is MSRP, but you'll be able to get it for cheaper.  The speculation of $13 or more per additional ship, though. That's got me concerned.

#17 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

IG-58 said:

FFG needs to pony up a little more than three ships, some cards and some cardboard arcs to ask $40 from me for a starter. Just sayin.'

Don't forget the dice you can't use for anything else are included. :)

When it was speculated that there were 3 TIEs and 6 X-wings, that was great for a starter I thought.  I'll even take 2 / 4.  It makes it a bit harder to get too excited, but then I remind myself it is cheaper than a case of minis.  Certainly not as many pieces, but still a full game.  The expansions could be a different story and might not allow the game to continue for very long if the price point is as high as being speculated.

I'm excited for the game, but to start squirreling away some cash now I think.

#18 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:33 AM

Squid89 said:

The expansions could be a different story and might not allow the game to continue for very long if the price point is as high as being speculated.

That's my concern, as well. If these projections are correct, I can see myself buying only one of each ship type they release. If that's the norm among buyers... can FFG keep it rolling?

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#19 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the vid, Squid89. I, too, noticed that broken laser cannon, but it's likely that the actual miniatures will be higher quality...at least I hope so.

Man, I'm becoming increasingly excited about this game. I refrained from the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars Miniatures, but couldn't keep myself from jumping into their Starship Battles with both feet. This game looks to have me hooked just as much.

But what really got me excited was the firing arcs! Seems like you'll really have to line up your shot (I've never played Wings of War, so this is unilke anything I've played). And to have no gridlines on top of that -- it feels so free, like the good ol' X-wing and TIE Fighter games.

The low ship count in the starter is a little sad, but this is a dogfighting game, not a game of whole-fleet engagements. It looks to me like playing with just a few fighters will take plenty of time. I mean, the estimated time on the starter box is 20+ minutes, right?

#20 Sgt. G

Sgt. G

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

So,

One of the things ive seen, in like Dust tactics. And YES..i under stand the 'hows and whys' of why its done. but they start off as small 'dog fight' games. then start scaling up fast.

I know most of my old squardron would 'want' if not NEED to play biger battles..and fast. i know im one f them.. i want sqaudrons and wings..not just to get blasted by some goodie two shoes pilot in a custume X wang.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS