1st ed. reprints?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Eyedunno52

Eyedunno52

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

So, I JUST got into Descent.  I loved it so much I went out and bought the base set and the three vanilla expansions.  I was looking for a copy of RtL, when I happened on this announcement.  RtL is hard enough to find as it is.  I'm not familiar with Fantasy Flight's usual business models.  After they release a new edition of something, do they normally stop printing the earlier edition?  Or do they keep printing them?  Should I wait to see if there is a reprint of RtL or bite the bullet and pay $100+ for it on ebay?  :(

#2 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Considering how much an emphasis has been placed on how different the 2nd edition is, I would hope both editions stay in print; at least for a little while.

#3 Eyedunno52

Eyedunno52

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

That would be my hope as well.  Especially since many of us would be more than happy to collect BOTH sets if given a chance. 

#4 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

I would expect any pending reprints of 1e expansions will still get made (I don't know if RtL is among them.)  How long they STAY in print after 2e is actually out on shelves is another thing altogether.  To be honest, I don't know how FFG will handle that.  I've never seen them announce a second edition while the first was still in print before.  Usually they let the game die for a while and then bring it back, bigger and better.

#5 BlackZer0

BlackZer0

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

RtL is amongst the re-prints. So is  WtD and AoD. However, ToI didn't make the list. I've been watching the forms and upcoming list like a hawk. But, it also seems to be the slowest moving out of all the descent.

I really do hope that fantasy flight game give us the chance to pick up 1e the game, if we would like to

#6 TheHunterBoy

TheHunterBoy

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

Steve-O said:

I would expect any pending reprints of 1e expansions will still get made (I don't know if RtL is among them.)  How long they STAY in print after 2e is actually out on shelves is another thing altogether.  To be honest, I don't know how FFG will handle that.  I've never seen them announce a second edition while the first was still in print before.  Usually they let the game die for a while and then bring it back, bigger and better.

They'll support both, IMO.

That's why is the first time that a 2nd edition of a game it would be considered EVEN an expansion of th 1st edition...

#7 TylerT

TylerT

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

from what i gather the converstion kit only applies to the plastic bits of the old games, road to legend has no plastic 

honestly i would just wait for the new stuff, it's nice that the conversion kit exists but what they are cooking up is going to be better then what has been. there are plenty of games to play in the mean time B)

#8 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

TylerT said:

from what i gather the converstion kit only applies to the plastic bits of the old games, road to legend has no plastic

RtL has no plastic, however they did sell metal figures of all the LTs separately.  It's hard to tell if that means the LTs will have stat cards for 2e or not (even harder to tell how they would fit into the game if they did - I don't think the 2e campaign will have the same "overworld" mechanic the ACs had based on what I've heard so far.)

On the other hand, the conversion kit announcement did seem to make a big noise about having ALL the figures.  I guess we'll see if that includes LTs or not in due time.

#9 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:36 AM

Steve-O said:

On the other hand, the conversion kit announcement did seem to make a big noise about having ALL the figures.  I guess we'll see if that includes LTs or not in due time.

In the "Gen Con 2011 Day 3" video, Anton Torres said that the conversion kit would unlike every piece of plastic in the previous games.  I took that to mean just heroes and monsters, not LTs.  If that's actually the case, it could be because they are already planned for 2nd ed anyway, considering they were used in campaign play only.

#10 Mariana the Ex-Nun Cultist

Mariana the Ex-Nun Cultist

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

According to customer support none of the first ed expansions will be reprinted. I'm hoping for a rethink on Road to Legend at least

- chris

#11 Eyedunno52

Eyedunno52

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

I noticed that too.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't reprint though.  I mean... people would buy it, for sure.  But it would take away from the number of people buying into the newer addition, which I'm sure they dont want.

Saw a copy going for $300 on ebay.... *sighs*

#12 Kracky McKraken

Kracky McKraken

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

" I'm not familiar with Fantasy Flight's usual business models. After they release a new edition of something, do they normally stop printing the earlier edition?"

That's pretty much the case. I wouldn't be surprised to see what's left of FFG's Descent 1ed stock get dumped during the X-Mas sale, and than hasta la vista baby.

#13 Celtic Joker

Celtic Joker

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

I could also imagine people selling (part of) their 1st ed stuff once 2nd ed is out. Maybe not the expansions with the figures, but possibly RtL or SoB, since 2nd ed is supposed to come with its own campaign system included.

#14 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

I kinda feel cheated, that I bought a game, and I checked if expansions will be reprinted and sudenly they took it down and changed to next ed.

Reminds me of what Games Workshop is doing with their product. Road to legend is very sought off item and prices get steep, after 3 years on market I am shocked that something like that happened, and I am furious that I kept buying other expansions, hoping road to legend will be reprinted, now If I'll upgrade to new ed all the stuff will loose its value.

FFG lost credibility in my eyes, and same thing happened with Dust Tactics, after a year revised edition came out., if you are releasing something do it good the first time, what are you doing people? Is it still FFG or Microsoft?

Its the second game that I got interested in and got scrapped Battlelore was first, they bought the rights from DoW and let it die.

#15 Mestre dos Magos

Mestre dos Magos

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

I have to agree, I cannot understand why FFG does not reprint the game.

We are not talking about extra work like design, errata, testing. The game is ready, just do a reprint!

From the volume of people that you see, looking for the expansions, and the ridiculously high price you see on eBay, makes me wonder: does FFG care to make profit?

It is just like Games Workshop and their crazy way of thinking with Space Hulk. You think that a game that so many are after, the company would reprint.

Why? What is the reason behind it?

Reprint, make money!

#16 KenToad

KenToad

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

For every one that would buy a reprint, there are ten more who have most or all the 1st edition stuff and are waiting for the 2nd edition.  It doesn't make financial sense to reprint 1st edition right before the release of the new edition.  I'm guessing that they will reprint down the line, only after they've let 2nd Edition have its day in the sun.

#17 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

KenToad said:

For every one that would buy a reprint, there are ten more who have most or all the 1st edition stuff and are waiting for the 2nd edition.  It doesn't make financial sense to reprint 1st edition right before the release of the new edition.  I'm guessing that they will reprint down the line, only after they've let 2nd Edition have its day in the sun.

I strongly doubt that they would reprint 1e at any point after 2e has been released if they aren't going to do so now.  Not only would your own logic apply just as well then as it does now, but by the time 2e has been out for a while the consumer base will be divided into those who have already made the conversion, those who don't intend to make the conversion (and already own 1e), and those who have given up on Descent in any form for whatever reasons they may have.

They might consider some sort of "figure pack" to accompany the conversion kit and let people who got on with 2e have a fair shot at the figures from 1e that can cross over, but I really don't think they'd ever reprint 1e again.  (I don't expect them to now and I even less expect them to later.)  Like you said, it just doesn't make financial sense.

Has there ever been any company that has reprinted an old edition of something after a newer edition was out?  Not counting George Lucas and all his ridiculous editions of Star Wars, of course. =P

#18 HocDuong

HocDuong

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hey BlackZero, where did you read about the reprints being a thing to come in the future?

I'd hate to drop a significant amount of money on RtL and AoD for Descent on e.bay (and the like) if they'll just release it a few months from now again.

Thanks!

#19 rathandal

rathandal

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

actually, it all comes down to plastic, which is oil based. 

the reason why games with a lot of plastic figures are being discontinued is because the prices are nearly doubled.  so for them to reprint 1st edition, it would cost them, and us, about twice as much.

#20 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

HocDuong said:

Hey BlackZero, where did you read about the reprints being a thing to come in the future?

He read about it on the Upcoming page, where FFG lists all their reprints.  However, if you check the date of his post, you'll see that it was made the better part of a year ago, in that brief window of time after 2e had been announced and before the pending 1e reprints were pulled from the schedule.  Back then, people were debating whether or not the continued presence of the 1e expansions on that list meant they would see one more print run or not.

A question FFG answered by removing them from the list.  There is no official support for 1e anymore.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS